8/16 Presser Points: Gophers' defensive line standing out

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Head coach P.J. Fleck spoke after practice and updated the media about camp practices. Here are some videos, along with a few key areas to watch on defense in 2019.

VIDEO:

Notes after watching the defense for a couple weeks:

After watching the Gophers practice, I'm impressed with how much growth they've shown on defense. They have some rotational defensive line options, versatile linebackers and emerging youth in the secondary.

We'll see how the safety spot plays out. Jordan Howden has more experience and strength against the run. Benny Sapp could rotate into the mix, especially in non-conference games. Tyler Nubin may be the wild card to emerge and start at safety as a true freshman. He has been really impressive in camp. Antoine Winfield Jr. will be a weapon, especially if they can move him all over the field in creative ways.

I think the Gophers could have a big rotation on the defensive line this year. Across the board, I've noticed quite a large mix of pass rushing moves and technical improvements. This could be one of the most surprising areas of the roster.

In fall practices I've attended, Winston DeLattiboudere has stood out against the run and is a key leader in the defensive line room. Tai'yon Devers can also rotate into the mix, especially depending upon how creative Joe Rossi is with the defensive fronts. After practice, P.J. Fleck said he was impressed with how much Devers bought into the culture.

Esezi Otomewo has some versatility and can play inside or at five-technique. Boye Mafe has significantly improved and will rotate into the edge, too. Outside of those two, Mayan Ahanotu could see snaps in a situational role.

Inside, Micah-Dew Treadway is the key, but I think Jamaal Teague will see valuable snaps to keep the defense fresh. He's still progressing fundamentally, but will benefit from the experience he gained last year. Keonte Schad has also been acclimating to the system and is a key member of the interior. The core of Dew-Treadway, Schad, Teague and Sam Renner will rotate to spread out snaps. It is important to stay healthy at this position.

The linebacker group is where you could see many players moving all over the field into different fronts to take advantage of various skill sets. Thomas Rush and Braelen Oliver have unique athletic profiles, so they could be rotated into the unit occasionally.

At cornerback, Coney Durr, Terell Smith, Kiondre Thomas and Michigan transfer Benjamin St-Juste can rotate in the secondary. They all made their fair share of plays in camp practices. Chris Williamson could also play a big role if he can stay healthy, too. I've noticed a large amount of confidence and chemistry in this group. They are continuing to build depth in this area and Tyler Nubin could always play either cornerback or safety. Nubin looks very comfortable in the defense and is always around the ball making plays. He has tremendous length and range at the safety position. If the Gophers need additional cornerback depth, he could always slide into that role.

Overall, I think the defense could be surprisingly strong, especially considering the defensive line growth and potential options within Joe Rossi's scheme.

Last edited:

There’s a lot to be excited about here. The BTN hosts were raving about the D-line too, and the depth that Fleck has developed in a short period of time.

I haven’t seen St-Juste’s name mentioned much, which leads me to believe he might not see the field much. How has he looked?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom