View Poll Results: Poll! - Can you throw an NCAA Regulation Size Football 40 yards?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I can throw a football 40 yards, if not a lot more

58 46.03%
  • No. I am comfortable enough in my masculinity to admit I can't do it.

68 53.97%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
    This isn’t a video game.
    So Tecmo Super Bowl where the QB can run all the way back to the end zone and throw it 110+ yards to the other end zone isn't realistic? I'm bummed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    FWIW the Jr year Elite 11 types go for ~70-75+ on the long ball competition. With practice and technique surely many or most of us couch potatoes can hit 40. The average FBS recruit can probably go for what, 60-65?
    There are two different pieces to this. As you say, most of us could chuck it 40 yards with a little bit of practice to get the mechanics right. Now if you want to talk 40 yards with any kind of accuracy....the group that could do that would shrink to a much much smaller number.

Have not actually tried it but at 43 I feel confident I could get one 40 yards but if you put any kind of accuracy requirement on it my odds of success would drop to next to nothing.

In the end that is what makes good QBs so impressive. Not only can they throw an oddly shaped ball a long way but they can also hit a moving target at the same time.

Definitely agree with you but now we’re inserting qualifiers...even P5 QBs struggle with consistent accuracy downfield and oftentimes at any distance...The next step in this is to set a 50 gallon trash can 40 yards out or send Jr out on a route.

Average completion percentage at the NFL level seems to be around what, 30-40% on deep balls. It’s a low percentage but high reward play.

40 yards is only 120 feet, or slightly less than the length of 3 Metro Transit busses parked back to back.
    "A lot of guys look good running around in underwear." - 414GopherFan

What is the adjustment factor if the original question required one to wear shoulder pads and a helmet?

Here is my video, I figured you all wouldn't believe I could throw 40 yards, so here you go, this is me at Lake Harriet this morning:

Go Gophers!!

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    Here is my video, I figured you all wouldn't believe I could throw 40 yards, so here you go, this is me at Lake Harriet this morning:

Go Gophers!!
    It appears you've been working out. Great job.

Go Gophers!!
    Why are you wearing such a big swim suit?
    Who hates iowa?

Go Gophers!!
    Impressive!

The throw isn’t bad either.
    "A lot of guys look good running around in underwear." - 414GopherFan

i would have bet a gazillion dollars i could do it no problem. Tried it just now, not even close enough to give it a second attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by iowa View Post
    i would have bet a gazillion dollars i could do it no problem. Tried it just now, not even close enough to give it a second attempt.
    Who hates iowa?

Go Gophers!!
    Not a bad spiral either!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Go Gophers!!
    Please redo this. The ball doesn't appear to be regulation.
    Perhaps a closeup of the ball first before attempting the throw.

Late 50's. Not a chance. As a kid, I had a really tight spiral - a rope - for anything less than 25 yds. But had absolutely nothing trying to throw it any farther. Not even a lame duck. Never could get it any further. Never understood why - must have been the mechanics.

Was at a picnic recently where a game was to toss the football into a plastic garbage pail. Took a few short warm up tosses and drilled it dead center from about 20 yds. Left with a huge grin on my face.

Go Gophers!!
    Funny I had pictured you looking a little different than this! I'll be sure to be extra kind to you in the future!