Poll! - Can you throw an NCAA Regulation Size Football 40 yards?

Poll! - Can you throw an NCAA Regulation Size Football 40 yards?

• Yes! I can throw a football 40 yards, if not a lot more

Votes: 58 46.0%
  • No. I am comfortable enough in my masculinity to admit I can't do it.

Votes: 68 54.0%

• Total voters

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
This will be used to settle possible bets.

If you aren't sure, please verify before posting so we don't skew the results. This is to settle an argument, so be sure to vote correctly.

Sadly, I might have trouble throwing a baseball 40 yards. :cry:

Sadly, I might have trouble throwing a baseball 40 yards. :cry:

Me to.
But I left the voting on this poll anonymous so those of us who lack the proper throwing technique don't have to be embarrassed by our answers.

Ha! Such an Uncle Rico vibe here tonight!
We need to set up a contest at the first game’s tailgate.

This will be used to settle possible bets.

If you aren't sure, please verify before posting so we don't skew the results. This is to settle an argument, so be sure to vote correctly.
Today...not a chance. In my youth I could chuck it about 50 yards. Not bad, but certainly not good enough for any scout to turn their head.
Definitely not the distance of Uncle Rico tossing that ball over the mountains.

Are you trying to find events for the first annual Gopherhole picnic?

So, I read this classic poll/post about 4 beers into a relaxing evening. It motivated this 54 year-old fat guy in sandals to go out into the street in the dark, and proceed to chuck (poorly) a souvenir Gophie football across the font lawns of the neighbors. Four tries. My dog loved it. Couldn't throw a good spiral. Sadly, I only threw about 35 yards by counting sidewalk blocks. Oh well...

fb pic.jpg

Threads like these are why I love Gopher Hole!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure no.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm not even sure I could throw it 20 yards. I can throw a baseball about 275 feet but I can barely throw a football.

I'm not even sure I could throw it 20 yards. I can throw a baseball about 275 feet but I can barely throw a football.

My baseball throwing technique was never right. I put in a ton of effort throwing and could never get the ball to sail. Must be bad technique.

So, I read this classic poll/post about 4 beers into a relaxing evening. It motivated this 54 year-old fat guy in sandals to go out into the street in the dark, and proceed to chuck (poorly) a souvenir Gophie football across the font lawns of the neighbors. Four tries. My dog loved it. Couldn't throw a good spiral. Sadly, I only threw about 35 yards by counting sidewalk blocks. Oh well...

View attachment 6238

If you wore white New Balance sneakers, as any self respecting middle-aged dad should, you would have thrown 40 for sure.

I think we will need some video evidence from those claiming they can.

Today...not a chance. In my youth I could chuck it about 50 yards. Not bad, but certainly not good enough for any scout to turn their head.
Definitely not the distance of Uncle Rico tossing that ball over the mountains.

Same here. At age 66 with a touch of arthritis in my throwing hand, I would make Mitch Leidner's worst throw look like a dart. I'd be lucky if I could hit the receiver's feet from ten yards.

Oh, but back in the day! (Yeah, right.)

Not even with a hurricane wind behind me. I have been known, however, to throw a 4 yard pass with a tight spiral.

Definitely used to be able to. Today I'm quite out of practice so I'm guessing if I wind up and heave and get off a good one, I could make it. A lot of my throws would wind up ducks that fell far short. It's like how a lot of guys can drive a golf ball 250+ on occasion but also hit a lot of terrible ones.

Under game conditions? Not a chance.

Can I pick the location for the throw?

I think we will need some video evidence from those claiming they can.

Here's mine...:p

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0pqjvH9Y3Tg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I tested the arm this morning at that local high school. At 61 years of age, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. Only got into the low 30's, and my elbow is KILLING me.

I don't believe I could at 54 years of age and I am not going to throw out my arm trying. On a good note, I can laser in forty yards with my 60 degree wedge all day long.

The problem with most of the readers is age, I’m 37 and can do it easily. I don’t expect the same at 60.

The average person is atrocious at gauging distance. I would be shocked if even a quarter of people could throw a regulation football 40 yards. They may say or think they can, but they have no idea what 40 yards even entails.

Pace off 45-50 steps, that’s 40 yards.

In my prime, I used to be able to regularly nail 30 yard field goals. 40 yards not so much.

And for what it is worth, I could punt a ball further than I could throw it. 40+ with a spiral and turn the ball over. My hang time needed a little improvement though!

The average person is atrocious at gauging distance. I would be shocked if even a quarter of people could throw a regulation football 40 yards. They may say or think they can, but they have no idea what 40 yards even entails.

Pace off 45-50 steps, that’s 40 yards.

In my prime, I used to be able to regularly nail 30 yard field goals. 40 yards not so much.

If you don’t know 40 yards, you don’t know sports. I could never kick but never played soccer, I throw a lot though, still playing town ball. However, I would say there’s about 25% of people who weren’t taught or didn’t care enough to learn how to throw a football when they were young.

I'm with you. At 45 I can still honk a baseball. I play catch with my sons. But I never could throw a football well. I manage a sharp spiral about once every ten throws.

This has been a sad confession.

I'm with you. At 45 I can still honk a baseball. I play catch with my sons. But I never could throw a football well. I manage a sharp spiral about once every ten throws.

This has been a sad confession.

Just throw a football like you would a circle change.

Top Bottom