Poll! - Can you throw an NCAA Regulation Size Football 40 yards?

Poll! - Can you throw an NCAA Regulation Size Football 40 yards?

• Yes! I can throw a football 40 yards, if not a lot more

Votes: 58 46.0%
  • No. I am comfortable enough in my masculinity to admit I can't do it.

Votes: 68 54.0%

• Total voters

If you don’t know 40 yards, you don’t know sports. I could never kick but never played soccer, I throw a lot though, still playing town ball. However, I would say there’s about 25% of people who weren’t taught or didn’t care enough to learn how to throw a football when they were young.

I agree. What I meant to add was “standing on the ground”. I don’t think even the average sports fan could pin down where 40 yards is without the markings. 120 feet is a lot for the brain to perceive.

That’s 25 feet further than a basketball court and almost a throw from second base to home.

Good luck.

I know I can throw it the length of a basketball court - so figure that has to be 40-yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once could but no longer can now that I am old. Age is the factor.

Did kick a football 40 yards in one try during Super Bowl week through the goal post. Jan Stenrud style with kickoff run up to the ball.

Next debate can be can you kick or throw a ball further. Call it the Rotater Cuff vs Blown Hammie competition.

Once could but no longer can now that I am old. Age is the factor.

Did kick a football 40 yards in one try during Super Bowl week through the goal post. Jan Stenrud style with kickoff run up to the ball.

Next debate can be can you kick or throw a ball further. Call it the Rotater Cuff vs Blown Hammie competition.

I have both plus a ruptured bursa sac. Thank god it’s my left elbow and I’m right handed. I can still throw a 20 yard pass, kick a college extra point and kick the collective asses of a soccer team of 8 year olds.

I agree. What I meant to add was “standing on the ground”. I don’t think even the average sports fan could pin down where 40 yards is without the markings. 120 feet is a lot for the brain to perceive.

That’s 25 feet further than a basketball court and almost a throw from second base to home.

Good luck.

I can see that, on the field (any field) is way different. Everything is farther than it looks.

I also took the 40 yard challenge... and eventually with some adjustments/failures uncorked a beauty that landed in the neighbors walled back yard. This despite being 40 something, overuse issues in shoulder/elbow/wrist, and a spiral rating of 4.7. Probably the most impressive thing about most quarterbacks is not always the distance but the accuracy to consistently throw it (almost) through a window 30, 40, 50 yards downfield.

My high school QB could barely throw it 40 yards, and he was actually pretty good. I call bullish*t on 99% of armchair QBs who think they can do it.

Not a classic QB form and still pushing 40 yds at the court.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QSi7XspFWqg?start=160" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just turned 55. My athletic ability through the years has probably been what I'd call average or just below. I'm still reasonably strong per my own judgement, but I've always been of slight build.

Just put a roof on my house so I have a 50' tape lying around. I also have a football that says to be "NCAA", for what that's worth.

My son and I marked off 40 yards in 10 yard increments and I started to throw. I peaked at 35 yards without pushing super hard or feeling any pain. I'd say if I'd work out I'd be able to hit 40 before long, but my vote will be no. For all I know the football is also not a true "NCAA".

I’m 35, I have no problem with 40. I’ll also note that dropping back 5 yards, throwing to the sideline... you need to be able to throw 50 in order to hit a receiver 40 yards downfield. I’d have to go measure it out to see if I can do that.

Are you talking consistently? Or if you make 10 throws and 2 go 40 yards, does that count?

Can someone set up a gopherhole 40 yard pass competition tailgate before one of the games?

Just turned 55. My athletic ability through the years has probably been what I'd call average or just below. I'm still reasonably strong per my own judgement, but I've always been of slight build.

Just put a roof on my house so I have a 50' tape lying around. I also have a football that says to be "NCAA", for what that's worth.

My son and I marked off 40 yards in 10 yard increments and I started to throw. I peaked at 35 yards without pushing super hard or feeling any pain. I'd say if I'd work out I'd be able to hit 40 before long, but my vote will be no. For all I know the football is also not a true "NCAA".

I find this to be a very outstanding review of a 40 yard football throwing attempt. It’s extremely objective, to the point and includes some insightful personal information. Bravo. Seriously. You, my friend, are the Siskel (or Ebert) of football throw reviews.

FWIW the Jr year Elite 11 types go for ~70-75+ on the long ball competition. With practice and technique surely many or most of us couch potatoes can hit 40. The average FBS recruit can probably go for what, 60-65?

40 yards?

Actually this is more like 50+ yards in the air. It goes from near the center of the field to the outer hashmarks. People forget the horizontal distance passes have to go.

Absolutely..... not.

I had rotator cuff surgery last year... I doubt I could have done it prior to the surgery either.

Just tested the arm out. 45 yards with minimal warmup for this guy in his 40s. Confident Morgan can throw at least 43 [emoji3]. I do still play outfield in softball though so have kept my arm in relatively good shape over the years.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure I could build a machine that could launch a football 40 yards. Probably would not even hurt myself, which would be quite likely if I tried to throw a football that far.

Does that count?

I find this to be a very outstanding review of a 40 yard football throwing attempt. It’s extremely objective, to the point and includes some insightful personal information. Bravo. Seriously. You, my friend, are the Siskel (or Ebert) of football throw reviews.

Well, the point of my going in to detail is that if I can get 35 without too much effort, I believe most of the guys on here that are saying they can do 40 or 40+. I'd say the poll results are probably accurate.

Probably not. I have tiny, Dante Culpepper-like hands that make it difficult to throw. I could probably get there with an Itsa® football.

Does the bounce count toward total yardage?

No, and that's one of the reasons I wasn't a quarterback. Again, only one of the reasons. I mostly played on the kickoff team for my 9-man team. I could block tolerably well, but don't ask me to throw a ball. Or catch it.

No, and that's one of the reasons I wasn't a quarterback. Again, only one of the reasons. I mostly played on the kickoff team for my 9-man team. I could block tolerably well, but don't ask me to throw a ball. Or catch it.

In jr. high, a coach once yelled at me that the ball is not hot lava.... it was meant to be humorous and everyone got a kick out of it.

Top Bottom