Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonTXGopher View Post
    The QB has to be able to make some plays. That loss against NW showed what a really good defense can do against a Tanner Morgan type of QB.
    That was his only bad game, as a freshman. Northwestern made a lot of QBs look bad last season.

There are a handful of standout QBs in the country who possess the huge arm AND make few errors. We donít have one of those now, nor did we a month ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ten Mind View Post
    On BTN yesterday Rick Hall ask Glen Mason if Minny could win the west and if not what are the question marks he has for them. "I still think the QB. If you're going to win a championship you better have a really really good QB. Tanner Morgan is a good quarterback, I'm not sure he's that good".

Time will tell but quality and depth of defensive line along with the production from the trigger man usually determine if a team wins 6-8 games vs 9-11.
    I posted it on www.gsufans.com Flite Line. Good mini read!
    Georgia Southern Option Football - often out weighed but seldom out played!
    www.gsufans.com

Give me one of those little nerf balls with a tail on it and I can throw it 50+ yards. Otherwise I'm not sure I can throw a regulation FB forty yards. Like most sports fans, my body can't do the things that my brain thinks it can.

Jim McMahon didn't have a big arm, at least not by the time he played for the Vikings. 40 yards wasn't a sure thing for him, but he was an NFL quarterback.
    Iím a light eater. As soon as itís light, I start to eat. And I'm on a seefood diet. If I can see food, I'll eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by norman dale View Post
    I'd bet 80% of my 401k that most rubes here could not throw a regulation size NCAA football more than 40 yards in their birthday suit much less with a fitted jersey and shoulder pads and a helmet on while taking a 5 step drop and having maybe 1Ĺ to 2 shuffle steps to gain forward momentum in a game situation. Game situation so much more difficult than tossing the pigskin in the backyard to your kids.

With all due respect any Power 5 QB above 5th string should be able to throw a football 40 yards. Maybe not a frozen rope with the flick of a wrist but an arcing 40 yard "bomb" is not a problem for Tanner. More important can he accurately thread the needle on a 7 yard slant pattern on 3rd and five? That's all I want from Tanner.
    Agree and disagree. 100% agree that most Gopherhole readers could not throw a regulation football 40 yards. Disagree about throwing in games - my observation is that the adrenaline of playing in a game helps QB's to be able to throw farther; and I think that all Power 5 QB's could throw the ball 40 yards assuming they are healthy, eg., not playing with a partially separated throwing shoulder. There is nothing wrong with Morgan's arm. Go Gophers!

Quote Originally Posted by Studwell55 View Post
    I like Tanner.

But he can't throw the ball over 40 yards.
    Past QBs couldnít throw it 35, so things are looking up.

Consensus Top 25 Class, 4 of final 5, 80% underclassmen, Youngest Team, 2nd Youngest Team, Best Back-To-Back Classes Ever, 9 Scholarship Seniors, HS Teacher, 8-Hour Radius, Major Paycut

Morgan is a rs So. He's got room to improve and I'm comfortable with him.

I would be (pleasently) surprised if he's our starter next 3 years

Blog Entries

Tanner is a Top 3 B1G QB this year. The OL needs to protect him and he will be very very good. I really like ZA but he isn't playing and Morgan proved himself when he got the chance. He is a known commodity whether Mason said so or not.
    Kingdom Warriors

Has there ever been a really really good qb in the big10 west?

I can confirm I probably canít throw a football 40 yards. I can probably sail a frisbee close to that.

Quote Originally Posted by btowngopher View Post
    I mean the B1G west has only existed for like 5 years. That's not a giant sample size...
    Who hates iowa?

Quote Originally Posted by btowngopher View Post
    That is a good question. Russell Wilson is probably the best QB of the division era but technically he was not a West QB even though Wisconsin's now a West team. Trevor Simian from NW? He made it to the nfl.

Default Mason's comments on Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by gophmeister View Post
    That is a good question. Russell Wilson is probably the best QB of the division era but technically he was not a West QB even though Wisconsin's now a West team. Trevor Simian from NW? He made it to the nfl.
    And yet, Morganís stat line from his half season looks better than anything Siemian did at NW. He was especially awful in his Senior year.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...siemian-1.html

Quote Originally Posted by Studwell55 View Post
    I like Tanner.

But he can't throw the ball over 40 yards.
    2018 Indiana game. Game-winning throw to Bateman. Check it out.

Tanner releases the ball at the Minnesota 28 yard line. Bateman catches it ó in stride ó at the Indiana 24 yard line. Beautiful deep throw. Won the game.
    --------------

"7 National Titles...

... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

I don't think that is an unfair statement.

Tanner is good, but I don't know how far he can go.

Default Mason's comments on Morgan

Watching the Quick Lane bowl replay on BTN. Morgan had a 50 yard incompletion to Bateman in the 2nd quarter. He let it go on his own 44, and it looks like it would have landed at about the 6 yard line. The throw should have been a little more to the inside, and a couple yards further, but it didnít look like he had a hard time getting it out there.

Last edited by PitinoFan; 08-16-2019 at 06:42 PM.