Mason's comments on Morgan

There is abundant evidence a player’s ceiling is at or below their production at a lower level, allowing for time in a system, experience etc. It speaks to the hubris of coaches that he was drafted so high when he’s very likely to be s bust.

All signs point to TM2 having a good and even above average year. There’s something about him and his persona that I really like. Let’s see if our instincts are right - still too early to say.

What a great question, and you made it even more interesting by linking to the players' respective college stats.

I'm really struck by — maybe even shocked by — the fact that the supposedly weak-armed Morgan's yards per attempt are quite a bit better than the strong-armed Allen.

Really thought-provoking. Thanks for posting.

Yards per attempt....

In the entire country, only 6 QBs had a higher Y/A than Morgan’s 9.2. Dwayne Haskins is the next highest Big Ten QB with 9.1.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2018-passing.html

Morgan is not on that chart, because they need a minimum of 14 attempts per game, and he obviously didn’t play enough games to reach that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yards per attempt....

In the entire country, only 6 QBs had a higher Y/A than Morgan’s 9.2. Dwayne Haskins is the next highest Big Ten QB with 9.1.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2018-passing.html

Morgan is not on that chart, because they need a minimum of 14 attempts per game, and he obviously didn’t play enough games to reach that.

I've often thought that yards per attempt just might be the most important passing stat.

Because of Annexstad's injury, Morgan suddenly has a clear claim to the starter's role. He'll get more first team reps in practice. He'll probably get more attention from the coaches, at least in terms of preparing every week as the starter, than he would have if he'd been the backup behind Zack.

It will be interesting to see how he responds. I expect him to shine. I've said it before: barring injury, I think Morgan will be among the B1G leaders in passing efficiency.

Top Bottom