Mason's comments on Morgan

40 feet sure, but not 40 yards.

But agree how far you can throw it really isn't important at all, especially in our offense. Hit the slant every time that's all that matters.

I think you’re selling yourself short. Grab your ball and try some warm up throws. I just watched weak armed Morgan toss it 41 yards on a relatively flat trajectory to CAB without setting his feet on the run vs GT.

I think you’re selling yourself short. Grab your ball and try some warm up throws. I just watched weak armed Morgan toss it 41 yards on a relatively flat trajectory to CAB without setting his feet on the run vs GT.

I'm not selling myself short. I know I can throw it 40 yards, I can still throw it over 50 if I try. I think it's probably somewhere about 1/3 of the posters here that can though. 40 yards is a long ways. Maybe 1/2 the posters could if they did a full 5 yard shuffle forward before they threw. I mean look at the half time contest for proof, what percentage of those people throw it over 4 yards? And those are all younger people, there are a lot of old guys around here.

I'm not selling myself short. I know I can throw it 40 yards, I can still throw it over 50 if I try. I think it's probably somewhere about 1/3 of the posters here that can though. 40 yards is a long ways. Maybe 1/2 the posters could if they did a full 5 yard shuffle forward before they threw. I mean look at the half time contest for proof, what percentage of those people throw it over 4 yards? And those are all younger people, there are a lot of old guys around here.

I'd pull something or other going past 10 yards.... and it wouldn't be a ML7 type spiral I can tell you that...

My 56 year old brother can throw it 40-50 yards on target with a receiver running a rout. The difference is can you deliver under pressure, scan the field and pick the right receiver.

The play that should have been a TD, but the ref blew the call and said he stepped out at the 4. That was a nice 41 yard throw on the run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t watch practice. I didn’t read this thread. I just know Tanner Morgan as a freshman was the 2nd most efficient QB season in school history. By a pretty large margin, and with no cream puffs in there.

QB ratings very seldom regress and often dramatically improve from year 1 to subsequent years. The chances of Tanner Morgan being the all time leading passer at Minnesota in December 2021 are very good.

My 56 year old brother can throw it 40-50 yards on target with a receiver running a rout. The difference is can you deliver under pressure, scan the field and pick the right receiver.

I said earlier the distance isn't what's important. A lot of guys can throw 70 yards, who cares? It's like the guys who do the long drive contests, sure they can pop one out there out of 10 tries but they ain't on the tour for a reason.

I'd pull something or other going past 10 yards.... and it wouldn't be a ML7 type spiral I can tell you that...

Don't get me wrong, I'd stretch first and do lots of warm up throws... and I may still pull something...

I don’t watch practice. I didn’t read this thread. I just know Tanner Morgan as a freshman was the 2nd most efficient QB season in school history. By a pretty large margin, and with no cream puffs in there.

QB ratings very seldom regress and often dramatically improve from year 1 to subsequent years. The chances of Tanner Morgan being the all time leading passer at Minnesota in December 2021 are very good.

The single season record is 2895 yards (Adam Weber -2007). If Morgan plays the entire season, he could easily own that record.

Throws it from our 28- hits RB in stride at 26. 46 yards. Doesn’t look like he was straining on throw so bet he can go further.

Your video evidence doesn't count because the poster above said he can't throw it over 40 yards...

[/b]

The single season record is 2895 yards (Adam Weber -2007). If Morgan plays the entire season, he could easily own that record.

To put that stat in perspective, and to point out the limp rag history of Minnesota passing, here are the single season record holders for all Big Ten teams:

Ohio State: 4,831 (Dwayne Haskins)

Purdue: 3,985 (Curtis Painter)

Iowa: 3,738 (Chuck Hartlieb)

Illinois: 3,671 (Tony Eason)

Northwestern: 3,656 (C.J. Bacher)

Penn State: 3,614 (Trace McSorley)

Indiana: 3,573 (Nate Sudfeld)

Nebraska: 3,568 (Joe Ganz)

Maryland: 3,499 (Scott Milanovich)

Rutgers: 3,418 (Mike Teel)

Michigan State: 3,395 (Jeff Smoker)

Michigan: 3,331 (John Navarre)

Wisconsin: 3,175 (Russell Wilson)

Minnesota: 2,895 (Adam Weber)

To put that stat in perspective, and to point out the limp rag history of Minnesota passing, here are the single season record holders for all Big Ten teams:

Ohio State: 4,831 (Dwayne Haskins)

Purdue: 3,985 (Curtis Painter)

Iowa: 3,738 (Chuck Hartlieb)

Illinois: 3,671 (Tony Eason)

Northwestern: 3,656 (C.J. Bacher)

Penn State: 3,614 (Trace McSorley)

Indiana: 3,573 (Nate Sudfeld)

Nebraska: 3,568 (Joe Ganz)

Maryland: 3,499 (Scott Milanovich)

Rutgers: 3,418 (Mike Teel)

Michigan State: 3,395 (Jeff Smoker)

Michigan: 3,331 (John Navarre)

Wisconsin: 3,175 (Russell Wilson)

Minnesota: 2,895 (Adam Weber)

What surprised me the most is that Drew Brees isn’t Purdue’s record holder, so I looked it up. Painter has him by 2 yards. Brees had 3983 in 1998. He’s the all time Big Ten career record holder with 11,792 yards. Adam Weber is the Gophers career record holder with 10,917 yards. He put up a lot of yards, but a lot of Ints too (so did Brees, tbh).

Ok, can the average 6 foot dude in their early 20s be coached to toss it 40 yards? Probably many to most. I’d guess but cannot prove most people reading this either can or once could or potentially could. Some people probably can’t throw a spiral naturally but could be taught better technique...Understood it gets progressively and then exponentially harder to get extra distance beyond a a person’s given potential. Obviously the age tails of the population curve are going to be physically challenged...can we agree the 40 yard statement re Tanner was hyperbole?

I agree. I know you're high on Tanner and I'm hoping you're spot on.

He has a pretty good surrounding cast, maybe the best EVER (yes, a projection and maybe hyperbolic) at MN? He showed decisiveness, accuracy, consistency impressive for a freshman. Yeah, I’m really high on him because if he doesn’t fold under expectations and takes the next step this could be a special group. He’s not the most physically gifted guy but to me showed he’s a clutch playmaker on 3rd down and in big situations. Mase maybe knows how to motivate guys...

Last edited:

Ok, can the average 6 foot dude in their early 20s be coached to toss it 40 yards? Probably many to most. I’d guess but cannot prove most people reading this either can or once could or potentially could. Some people probably can’t throw a spiral naturally but could be taught better technique...Understood it gets progressively and then exponentially harder to get extra distance beyond a a person’s given potential. Obviously the age tails of the population curve are going to be physically challenged...can we agree the 40 yard statement re Tanner was hyperbole?

Yes!!! Spiral talk!

He has a pretty good surrounding cast, maybe the best EVER (yes, a projection and maybe hyperbolic) at MN? He showed decisiveness, accuracy, consistency impressive for a freshman. Yeah, I’m really high on him because if he doesn’t fold under expectations and takes the next step this could be a special group. He’s not the most physically gifted guy but to me showed he’s a clutch playmaker on 3rd down and in big situations. Mase maybe knows how to motivate guys...

We have had 7 national championship teams. I am quite certain that he doesn't have the best supporting cast ever at Minnesota, nor anything close to it.

Ok, ok, I’ll fall on my sword and say my 40+ yard statement was a little bit of hyperbolic bluster...because I have no way of knowing if that’s true ...but unless I’m missing some deep sarcasm that whizzed by my head we have multiple documented instances of a relatively small guy throwing multiple deep balls with really good accuracy...I can see turnover concerns though.

To be honest, I think it’s weird that so many people question whether he’s up to the job. It makes me wonder if I’m missing something. I guess we’ll know soon.

We have had 7 national championship teams. I am quite certain that he doesn't have the best supporting cast ever at Minnesota, nor anything close to it.

Ok, post de-segregation/modern era. I understand your viewpoint.

I think I understand what Mason is saying. Morgan is good - but probably not great. The question is - is being good good enough?

If all the other pieces are in place, you can have a very good team without having a great QB. But, all things being equal, if you had a choice, you would rather have a great QB.

I think the real issue comes down to this: if the Gophers are in a position where - in order to win the West - the QB has to lead a game-winning drive with time running out, does Morgan have the ability to raise his level of play and make the plays needed to win the game?

Can he be more than a game manager? can he be a game changer? I think that is what Mason is getting at. he sees Morgan as a game manager, but not a game changer.

Morgan will have a chance to prove him wrong. we will see.

To be honest, I think it’s weird that so many people question whether he’s up to the job. It makes me wonder if I’m missing something. I guess we’ll know soon.

Always possible he flops - he’s only started 6 games and we have a pretty small sample. I’ve noticed there’s some questioning of his ability to consistently hit intermediate/deep balls vs better defenses and some questioning on decision-making at times which is probably fair. Similar things have been said about a lot of pretty successful college QBs. Kellen Moore was a smart, decisive QB with probably a weaker arm than Morgan and he and his G5 teammates lit up G5 defenses and did pretty well vs power 5 defenses when given the opportunity. Even played a a bit in the NFL.

I think I understand what Mason is saying. Morgan is good - but probably not great. The question is - is being good good enough?

If all the other pieces are in place, you can have a very good team without having a great QB. But, all things being equal, if you had a choice, you would rather have a great QB.

I think the real issue comes down to this: if the Gophers are in a position where - in order to win the West - the QB has to lead a game-winning drive with time running out, does Morgan have the ability to raise his level of play and make the plays needed to win the game?

Can he be more than a game manager? can he be a game changer? I think that is what Mason is getting at. he sees Morgan as a game manager, but not a game changer.

Morgan will have a chance to prove him wrong. we will see.

That’s a good point. Does the 67 yard game winning TD pass, with less than 2 minutes remaining, to Bateman count? It was an impressive clutch throw, considering it was his first start. But, maybe we need to see it more. I get it.

Top Bottom