After looking at the Gophers, I can see why Minnesota is a trendy pick to win BT West

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the York News-Times:

Minnesota

The Golden Gophers seem to be a lot of fans’ dark horse to win the West. I can understand why, because they were one of the youngest rosters in all of college football last season – as many as nine freshmen started on offense in 2018, and according to Rivals.com, 97.1 percent of its offensive production is back, which is the most in the country.

Minnesota’s offense was middle-of-the-pack in the Big Ten last year. It was eighth in both scoring (28.9) and rushing (170.8 yards per game), ninth in total yards (379.6) and 10th in passing (208.8 ypg).

It is sophomore Tanner Morgan’s show now at quarterback after fellow sophomore Zack Annexstad sustained a foot injury this summer that will sideline him indefinitely. In nine games last year, Morgan completed 58.5 percent of his passes (89 of 152) for 1,401 yards and nine touchdowns. To me, he’s just OK. He’s not going to kill you and he’s not going to light your team up, either.

Morgan was 4-2 as a starter, and with nine starters returning on that offense, I’m thinking Minnesota has to improve from its 2018 numbers. It only makes sense.

Morgan should have the benefit of having an OK run game, too. Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks are the studs, but both are coming off injuries and might not ever be 100 percent again. Because those two weren’t fully available last season, Mohamed Ibrahim took advantage. The 5-foot-10, 210-pounder rushed for a team-high 1,176 yards and nine touchdowns.

Yes, I’ll admit there are some holes to fill on that defense, but I expect the Gophers to have similar numbers in 2019, which will keep them in a lot of games.

I also think many of the people who picked Minnesota to win the West were looking at the Gophers’ schedule. It sets up nicely.

Minnesota doesn’t play the big dogs like Ohio State, Michigan or Michigan State this season. It gets Nebraska, Wisconsin and Penn State at home. Like I mentioned, that sets things up nicely for head coach PJ Fleck.

So, will Minnesota be rowing its boat all the way to Indianapolis? Could be. The Gophers absolutely have a great shot at doing so.

https://www.yorknewstimes.com/sports/marik-it-down/article_5bd3b084-bfd7-11e9-a092-cf9e0c25fab6.html

Go Gophers!!

Steve Marik has clearly seen the light, a Damascus road experience if you will, and has so moved from dink to not-a-dink.

Steve Marik has clearly seen the light, a Damascus road experience if you will, and has so moved from dink to not-a-dink.

He get only a slight knock for not understanding that Gophs were THE youngest team...

A trendy pick to win the West?? Who has picked us to win the West this season, and how much credibility do they have??

Prediction season is almost over thank god. Im ready for some football and actually seeing if the koolaid was warranted lol.

One pleasant aspect of this prediction is that The Pig, The Axe, and The Broken Chair...all...would be in the Trophy Case.

Win against PSU...which doesn't directly count for the West...and it would be in there too.

Last edited:

Steve Malik is a gentleman and a scholar! Clearly, this article is worthy of Pulitzer consideration!

One pleasant aspect of this prediction is that The Pig, The Axe, and The Broken Chair...all...would be in the Trophy Case.

Win against PSU...which doesn't directly count for the West...and it would be in there too.

Yes, the famed “Governors’ Ding-a-ling”.

Maybe if they do beat PSU they break the trophy again and just not fix it? Drop Governor for Broken Bell trophy?

Well, I was interested to read that Smith and Brooks "might not ever be 100% again."

What the bleep is that based on?

I thought it was an odd article. the writer says the QB is "just OK," says there are holes on the defense - but then says they have a shot to win the West. Apparently, that is based solely on the schedule.

Win against PSU...which doesn't directly count for the West
...and it would be in there too.

All conference games, crossover games included, count in the West standings. Unless maybe I'm misinterpreting what you were saying.

Regardless, it would be nice to have the trophy cases filled with more than dust and disappointment.

Maybe if they do beat PSU they break the trophy again and just not fix it? Drop Governor for Broken Bell trophy?

I’m all for retiring the PSU trophy.

Only for a Nebraska trophy if a real, actual, legitimate trophy was conceived of by the athletic depts and sanctioned by the Big Ten. Not some twitter fan meme.

All conference games, crossover games included, count in the West standings. Unless maybe I'm misinterpreting what you were saying.

Regardless, it would be nice to have the trophy cases filled with more than dust and disappointment.

Appreciate the clarification. I think my biggest point was your second comment...having the Trophy Case almost full...

Now...win the West and go against Michigan in the B1G Championship...and I'd guess we'd get The Jug if winning that one...then visiting in person the Trophy Case must become a pilgrimage for all true Gopher fans from that day until Game 1 of the 2020 Season.

Let it be written..Let it be done. Also, go ahead and build the PJ Statue and get that over with...

I’m all for retiring the PSU trophy.

Only for a Nebraska trophy if a real, actual, legitimate trophy was conceived of by the athletic depts and sanctioned by the Big Ten. Not some twitter fan meme.

I'd rather keep the chair rather than have some stupid white washed trophy the Big Ten creates for it. All of the new trophies the Big Ten has made recently have been boring at best.

I'd rather keep the chair rather than have some stupid white washed trophy the Big Ten creates for it. All of the new trophies the Big Ten has made recently have been boring at best.

Why is a pig or axe, on its own, exciting?? They’re not, of course.

What makes it exciting is how much passion your fan base has for beating that other school.

Penn St, not so much. Nebraska, maybe a bit more, and could get boiling, if they stay in our division long term (as they should) or if divisions are discontinued but we play them every year (less certain on that).

There might be a tie braker or something possibly?

Top Bottom