Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Times

Default New York Times

The New York Times explains that their whole newsroom mission was Trump Russia for two years - they got the story totally wrong and now they claim they did a great job. Next mission? Trump racism.

Dean Baquet, the executive editor of the New York Times, said recently that, after the Mueller report, the paper has to shift the focus of its coverage from the Trump-Russia affair to the president's alleged racism.

"We built our newsroom to cover one story, and we did it truly well," Baquet said. "Now we have to regroup, and shift resources and emphasis to take on a different story."

Now, Baquet continued, "I think that we've got to change." The Times must "write more deeply about the country, race, and other divisions."

"I mean, the vision for coverage for the next two years is what I talked about earlier: How do we cover a guy who makes these kinds of remarks?" Baquet said. "How do we cover the world's reaction to him? How do we do that while continuing to cover his policies? How do we cover America, that's become so divided by Donald Trump?"

Surprise

Correct me if you disagree but it seems to me the polarizing nature of the media we consume has become a huge impediment to how we treat each other as human beings. Far greater damage is created by media outlets with an agenda than the impact of any one man. We migrate to the viewpoints that we share and consume the opinions of those particular media outlets. Those media outlets have become far less "fair and balanced" and more extreme, thereby creating less rational/moderate viewpoints in the consumers. Now you are a either a racist Republican or a baby-killing Democrat. No middle ground. Kind of sad really.
    Winasota Gopher now takes me seriously.....you should too.

Quote Originally Posted by golfing18now View Post
    Correct me if you disagree but it seems to me the polarizing nature of the media we consume has become a huge impediment to how we treat each other as human beings. Far greater damage is created by media outlets with an agenda than the impact of any one man. We migrate to the viewpoints that we share and consume the opinions of those particular media outlets. Those media outlets have become far less "fair and balanced" and more extreme, thereby creating less rational/moderate viewpoints in the consumers. Now you are a either a racist Republican or a baby-killing Democrat. No middle ground. Kind of sad really.
    Media only tries to sell us what they think we want, thus giving themselves the highest ratings, views, clicks possible.

So I will counter-propose that our worldview ideals have in fact diverged and veered farther to each extreme than before. It gives us please to subscribe to these extremes and it gives us pleasure to hate the other side. Because we are s__tty humans, and our minds need some amount of hatred, like plants need some amount of water.

Agree. Cable TV, internet, and the demand for viewers, readers and ratings has divided the country more than anything.

Should certain types of media only be non-profit companies? Should we reinstate the Fairness Doctrine?

Good post. One point I would add- Left leaning people have come to drink the kool aide that their sources are unbiased and unvarnished truth...the NYT, WaPo, CBS,CNN, etc. This is a lie and the most dangerous one of all because it leads them to go all in because they hold the "truth" even when they are adhering to propaganda. We on the right can do better in our treatment of the left, but I will tell you, it is far more dangerous to be on the right than on the left. If you put a Bernie Sanders sticker on your car, well you just made your car uglier. If you put a Trump sticker on your car you made your car uglier and someone is going to add to it by keying your car. Do NOT wear a MAGA hat in public. The anger on the left is incredible and it is aggressive. I think that the right is angry, but the treatment of the left is not nearly to the same level. All that said, your post is valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Gopherguy0723 View Post
    Should certain types of media only be non-profit companies? Should we reinstate the Fairness Doctrine?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Gopherguy0723 View Post
    Can you put toothpaste back in the tube? If we went to non-profit news, we already know how slanted that would be to the left.
    Last edited by KillerGopherFan; 08-16-2019 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Media only tries to sell us what they think we want, thus giving themselves the highest ratings, views, clicks possible.

So I will counter-propose that our worldview ideals have in fact diverged and veered farther to each extreme than before. It gives us please to subscribe to these extremes and it gives us pleasure to hate the other side. Because we are s__tty humans, and our minds need some amount of hatred, like plants need some amount of water.
    Hard to know. Chicken and egg thing for me, perhaps. As a Republican leaning voter, I can't possibly defend some of the things that Trump has said. He is not anybody that I would want my kids to emulate. But the absolute onslaught of negative media coverage has raised some of the things he has done to a much higher level. Worse yet is the corralling of all people that voted similarly into the same boat like we are a bunch of sheep with no ability for independent thought. Look no further than the OTB on this site. Are we really that different or are we almost "trained" into that approach? I don't know.
    Winasota Gopher now takes me seriously.....you should too.

But the absolute onslaught of negative media coverage has raised some of the things he has done to a much higher level.
    Not saying it hasn’t, only saying that if there weren’t millions of people out there hungry to gobble it up, it wouldn’t get produced.

Are we really that different or are we almost "trained" into that approach?
    I go with the former, every day and twice on Sunday.

If I weren’t certain that it would be disastrous for the world, due to the loss of a check on Russia’s and China’s power .... I would absolutely advocate for splitting the US up into some number of independent countries in 2 to 50.

I’d be all for splitting the country up. Unfortunately liberals are like locusts. They destroy everything they touch. In no time they would make everywhere into California, Illinois, New York and New Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseland Store View Post
    I’d be all for splitting the country up. Unfortunately liberals are like locusts. They destroy everything they touch. In no time they would make everywhere into California, Illinois, New York and New Jersey.
    Isn’t that the point of splitting it up?? Countries that would be strong majority conservative?

NJ has a republican governor. A fat f__k, if I might say so.

Broadcast media: Fox News
    Print Media: The Onion

Both equally true and balanced.
    ~ Wright about Life - Having fun with words since 1989 ~

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Isn’t that the point of splitting it up?? Countries that would be strong majority conservative?

NJ has a republican governor. A fat f__k, if I might say so.
    Phil Murphy isn’t fat, nor a republican.