Analytics prediction: Gophers favored to win Big Ten West

PitinoFan

Banned
Reaction score

That average points against per game prediction is probably way off. I think it will be 23.8. 23.7 if the starters play longer against SD State.

That average points against per game prediction is probably way off. I think it will be 23.8. 23.7 if the starters play longer against SD State.

2018 was 28.9/26.5

It would be disappointing to go backwards on offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting.

Our favorable 2019 schedule + our impressive performances at the end of last season + our high rate of returning production = higher expectations.

Time will tell.

Minnesota vs. Michigan meeting in Indianapolis would be dreamy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Based on the 8-4 record prediction, this model must be predicting a log jam for the Big Ten West title, with likely tiebreakers. I’d like to see the game by game prediction.

2018 was 28.9/26.5

It would be disappointing to go backwards on offense.

I was joking ;) Plus it was referring to defense, not offense. I just found it funny that they went the extra mile to predict points against average out to a decimal point.

Last edited:

After the win do they sprint across the field to the Jug or to the B1G Champ trophy?

Based on the 8-4 record prediction, this model must be predicting a log jam for the Big Ten West title, with likely tiebreakers. I’d like to see the game by game prediction.

Here is mine

SDSU-W-SDSU is one of the better FCS teams, but they're breaking in a new QB and, well, it's an FCS team.
@ Fresno-W-Fresno has a good coach in Tedford. Gophers beat them in MN with freshman QB and Rob Smith at DC. Fresno graduated A LOT of talent last year.
GA Southern-W-GSU runs the option, they were anemic at offense and used defense that got turn overs. Unless we cough up the ball 2-3x, this should be easy W
@ Purdue-L-Purdue graduated a lot of talent, if this were @ home, I'd put it as a W, but I think this one of those coulda/woulda/shoulda games MN always has
Illinois-W-I still have nightmares over last years debacle
Neb-W-Nebraska was 4-8. The hype train is strong. QB looks good, rest of team, not so sure.
@ Rutgers-W-Rutgets stinks
Maryland-W-Can winfield survive this game finally? Another game
Penn St-L-Even with ? at QB, franklin has recruited well.
@ Iowa -L-Pains me to say it, we last won at Kinnick in 1999 I think. Hurts to lose Floyd so man years in a row
@ NW -L- 3 game losing streak. Gopher fans officially panic, declare fleck useless
Wisconsin -W-We keep axe back to back years, regain series lead. Fleck is a hero

Doesn't look like it. The only other ranked West team in that prediction is Iowa (7-5) at #23....which would suggest that Minnesota sits alone on top.

Seems unlikely that a Big Ten West team will win the division outright with an 8-4 record however.

After the win do they sprint across the field to the Jug or to the B1G Champ trophy?

Hmmm, which one is rarer for us to win again?

I think 8-4 is probably a little less than we can accomplish. I still think anything less than 9-3 would be considered a ho-hum season. This guy must have us losing a non-conference game.

This is how I see the season:

SDSU - W
@Fresno - W
GSU - W
Bye
@ Purdue - W
Illinois - W
Nebraska - toss up
@ Rutgers - W
Maryland - W
bye
PSU - W - only because we come off the bye
@ Iowa - L
@ NW - toss up
Whisky - toss up

That's 8 wins with 1 loss and 3 toss ups

so if we go 1-2 in those games I have us at 9-3.

Last edited:

Doesn't look like it. The only other ranked West team in that prediction is Iowa (7-5) at #23....which would suggest that Minnesota sits alone on top.

Seems unlikely that a Big Ten West team will win the division outright with an 8-4 record however.

Well, in 2018 Northwestern won the West with an 8-4 overall record. The Wildcats finished 9-5 overall after losing to Ohio State in the B1G Championship, and then beating Utah in their bowl game.

To be fair, Northwestern won the West on the basis of their 8-1 record in the B1G conference regular season. Wisconsin, Purdue and Iowa tied for second in the West, each with 5-4 conference records.

So, yeah... pretty much anybody's division. Gotta win those conference games.

Understood, it's more of a thought provoking question than a real scenario

I feel like the jug would have just as much symbolic value for winning the Big Ten as it would for beating Michigan but that cannot be said about the championship game trophy, that only would symbolize the Big Ten championship but not beating Michigan.

The Big Ten championship trophy has no value in and of itself, it its only value is what it represents. The Jug on the other hand has value both in and of itself and for what it represents. If we could only keep one, I think a lot of people would be fine if the jug doubled as the Big Ten trophy and the Michigan trophy but I doubt people would be happy if we decided to keep the Big Ten trophy as it doesn't have the symbolism that beating Michigan has.

Well, in 2018 Northwestern won the West with an 8-4 overall record. The Wildcats finished 9-5 overall after losing to Ohio State in the B1G Championship, and then beating Utah in their bowl game.

To be fair, Northwestern won the West on the basis of their 8-1 record in the B1G conference regular season. Wisconsin, Purdue and Iowa tied for second in the West, each with 5-4 conference records.

So, yeah... pretty much anybody's division. Gotta win those conference games.

I should probably remember that. Haha.

This is a really good question, and worth a poll. I would want them to go for the jug.

However, I don't think they have the B1G championship trophy sitting out there for players to chase down after the game. It's presented to the coach afterward, I think, right? The jug might be the only option.

Edit: Others beat me to it. I started typing then was interrupted by that damn work thing.

Indeed. And...bring the jug cause we'll be taking that back to Mlps, thank you very much.

Pretty sure I heard the Jug would not be on the line should Michigan and Minnesota ever meet in a non-regular-season football game.

The Jug, Floyd, the Bits of Broken Chair, the Axe, a B1G trophy and a trip to Pasadena...I think my head would explode with joy if it all happened in one season.

Top Bottom