No apologies: St. Thomas coach Glenn Caruso defends his lame-duck MIAC program

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

If Glenn Caruso harbors anger, he didn’t show it.

“Sad, disappointed,” the St. Thomas football coach said Tuesday in his first public comments since the MIAC announced in May that it was kicking the Tommies out of the league. “I don’t think I was the only one who feels that way; I think a lot of people feel that way.”

If Caruso has an ax to grind with other MIAC programs, he wasn’t letting on during the Tommies’ football media day.

“I’m not a backward-looking guy,” said the coach who’s entering his 12th season at the NCAA Division III school and has six MIAC championships. “We do everything we can — players, coaches, culture around here — to look forward.”

Caruso acknowledged that there could be some uncomfortable moments in MIAC play this season. The Tommies have nine conference victories by 50 or more points in the past two seasons, and their 97-0 romp at St. Olaf in 2017 — a game in which St. Thomas scored the final touchdown with 7 seconds left and went 5-for-5 on fourth-down opportunities — was a lightning rod for criticism.

“When you’re playing in our league, it’s tense and awkward no matter when it is,” Caruso said. “It’s not exactly like we’re walking off the bus and everyone’s clapping for us, they let us win the game and we get back on the bus and go. It’s stressful, man. … Will there be added outside factors? I’d be lying [if I said no].”

http://www.startribune.com/no-apolo...defends-his-lame-duck-miac-program/540680392/

Go Gophers!!

This thread should be discussed over on TommieHole.com instead.

Yep this site should be for people that follow only Gopher football. People with diversified interests should be disallowed. It is a dangerous sign of an active mind.

Yep this site should be for people that follow only Gopher football. People with diversified interests should be disallowed. It is a dangerous sign of an active mind.

You are right. Lets have a thread for every high school and college team in the state. I would throw in cub football and even flag football.

You are right. Lets have a thread for every high school and college team in the state. I would throw in cub football and even flag football.

For Sure if there is enough interest from gopher fans

Will be interesting to hear Caruso’s take if/when ST announces Summit & Pioneer move.

While a great move for the school, it limits the football team to conf championships as the best possible outcome for each season. Pioneer teams can’t compete in the FCS playoffs as a matter of practicality.

I'm in favor of St. Thomas exiting the MIAC. That school has been a bad fit for what is otherwise mostly a collection of small liberal arts colleges for a long time. That being said, I'd say FAR more people are now aware of the embarrassing 97-0 beatdown of St. Olaf than ever would have known if these proceedings had never been started by St. Olaf.

I'm in favor of St. Thomas exiting the MIAC. That school has been a bad fit for what is otherwise mostly a collection of small liberal arts colleges for a long time. That being said, I'd say FAR more people are now aware of the embarrassing 97-0 beatdown of St. Olaf than ever would have known if these proceedings had never been started by St. Olaf.

I don't think St. Olaf is losing any sleep over that.

Can't wait to see what happens when Thomas plays St. Olaf this year...

I've been around here a long time and as I recollect it has been established that within reason this board is about not only Gopher football but college football in general when there is interest.

Those who have watched the Tommie-Johnnie football rivalry for years are going to miss it.

Johnies would do well at a higher level too.

North Dakota fans said that they’d never follow NDSU up to DI. Look at them now.

On a related note, Souhan had a column in the Strib where he mocked the other MIAC teams, and openly rooted for St. Thomas to run up the score and embarrass their conference opponents. the word he used was "vengeance."

Typical Souhan - mean-spirited and not nearly as funny as he thinks he is.

On a related note, Souhan had a column in the Strib where he mocked the other MIAC teams, and openly rooted for St. Thomas to run up the score and embarrass their conference opponents. the word he used was "vengeance."

Gets clicks.

That’s all he ever aims for.

Classic would be to get all moralistic about sportsmanship after that.

I think moving these threads to the off-topic section would make sense.

I think moving these threads to the off-topic section would make sense.

I don't really disagree with you (I wouldn't disagree with keeping them here), but there are always a lot of college football thread in this forum. I don't understand why the people complaining just don't skip that thread. It's not like we're inundated with off-topic threads.

Will be interesting to hear Caruso’s take if/when ST announces Summit & Pioneer move.

While a great move for the school, it limits the football team to conf championships as the best possible outcome for each season. Pioneer teams can’t compete in the FCS playoffs as a matter of practicality.

The Pioneer Champion has an auto-bid to the FCS DI playoff. San Diego has won a couple game over the years. As a non-scholarship league, they usually don’t make it too far, but they are included.

Top Bottom