Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default No apologies: St. Thomas coach Glenn Caruso defends his lame-duck MIAC program

per Randy:

If Glenn Caruso harbors anger, he didn’t show it.

“Sad, disappointed,” the St. Thomas football coach said Tuesday in his first public comments since the MIAC announced in May that it was kicking the Tommies out of the league. “I don’t think I was the only one who feels that way; I think a lot of people feel that way.”

If Caruso has an ax to grind with other MIAC programs, he wasn’t letting on during the Tommies’ football media day.

“I’m not a backward-looking guy,” said the coach who’s entering his 12th season at the NCAA Division III school and has six MIAC championships. “We do everything we can — players, coaches, culture around here — to look forward.”

Caruso acknowledged that there could be some uncomfortable moments in MIAC play this season. The Tommies have nine conference victories by 50 or more points in the past two seasons, and their 97-0 romp at St. Olaf in 2017 — a game in which St. Thomas scored the final touchdown with 7 seconds left and went 5-for-5 on fourth-down opportunities — was a lightning rod for criticism.

“When you’re playing in our league, it’s tense and awkward no matter when it is,” Caruso said. “It’s not exactly like we’re walking off the bus and everyone’s clapping for us, they let us win the game and we get back on the bus and go. It’s stressful, man. … Will there be added outside factors? I’d be lying [if I said no].”

http://www.startribune.com/no-apolog...ram/540680392/

Go Gophers!!

This thread should be discussed over on TommieHole.com instead.

Quote Originally Posted by FredCoxRocks View Post
    Yep this site should be for people that follow only Gopher football. People with diversified interests should be disallowed. It is a dangerous sign of an active mind.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodburyTim View Post
    Yep this site should be for people that follow only Gopher football. People with diversified interests should be disallowed. It is a dangerous sign of an active mind.
    You are right. Lets have a thread for every high school and college team in the state. I would throw in cub football and even flag football.
    I choose to play stupid, but trust me, I know everything you think I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by maroonfive View Post
    You are right. Lets have a thread for every high school and college team in the state. I would throw in cub football and even flag football.
    For Sure if there is enough interest from gopher fans

Will be interesting to hear Caruso’s take if/when ST announces Summit & Pioneer move.

While a great move for the school, it limits the football team to conf championships as the best possible outcome for each season. Pioneer teams can’t compete in the FCS playoffs as a matter of practicality.

I'm in favor of St. Thomas exiting the MIAC. That school has been a bad fit for what is otherwise mostly a collection of small liberal arts colleges for a long time. That being said, I'd say FAR more people are now aware of the embarrassing 97-0 beatdown of St. Olaf than ever would have known if these proceedings had never been started by St. Olaf.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    I'm in favor of St. Thomas exiting the MIAC. That school has been a bad fit for what is otherwise mostly a collection of small liberal arts colleges for a long time. That being said, I'd say FAR more people are now aware of the embarrassing 97-0 beatdown of St. Olaf than ever would have known if these proceedings had never been started by St. Olaf.
    I don't think St. Olaf is losing any sleep over that.

Can't wait to see what happens when Thomas plays St. Olaf this year...

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    No apologies: St. Thomas coach Glenn Caruso defends his program in lame-duck MIAC
    I fixed it for you. Shame on the MIAC.
    Gopher football fan since 1924. DNA-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by maroonfive View Post
    Boo hoo. Do a few threads not completely Gopher related really bother you that much?

Odd title
    "A lot of guys look good running around in underwear." - 414GopherFan

I've been around here a long time and as I recollect it has been established that within reason this board is about not only Gopher football but college football in general when there is interest.

Blog Entries

Those who have watched the Tommie-Johnnie football rivalry for years are going to miss it.
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

Quote Originally Posted by hungan1 View Post
    Those who have watched the Tommie-Johnnie football rivalry for years are going to miss it.
    Only if UST moves up a level.