Chip: Still with Gophers, Kirk Ciarrocca hopes to use his entire bag of tricks on off

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

One of Ciarrocca’s strengths lies in his ability to adapt his scheme to fit his personnel, and then improvising when needed. He didn’t run wildcat formation at Western Michigan but added that to his playbook to take advantage of Seth Green’s unique skill set. Green’s role became more prominent after running back Rodney Smith suffered a season-ending knee injury in the second game.

Ciarrocca initially planned to use Green only in short yardage and goal-line situations. He ended up with 76 carries and eight rushing touchdowns last season as a change-of-pace option at wildcat.

“When Rodney got hurt, in between series, I was just thinking, ‘OK, what do I do now?’ ” Ciarrocca said. “I was like, ‘Well let’s use a little bit more wildcat and see how it goes.’ It was effective for us. How will that fit into this year? It’s part of our package, but I don’t know yet. We’re still developing our identity.”

Ciarrocca plans to expand his playbook, because his talent and experience warrant that. An offense built around Johnson, Smith, Mohamed Ibrahim, Shannon Brooks and Rashod Bateman lends itself to creativity.

The man charged with orchestrating it is happy with his decision to stay put.

“Once I got off the phone with P.J., I went right to sleep,” Ciarrocca said. “And it was probably the best sleep I had in about seven or eight days. Once I make a decision, I don’t look back.”

http://www.startribune.com/still-wi...is-entire-bag-of-tricks-on-offense/538086642/

Go Gophers!!

Kirk Ciarrocca has really been a savior.

It has been so long since I was excited to see a Gopher offense take the field.

It is no longer "Oh man I hope we can do something..."

It is "What are they going to do next?!?!"

Top Bottom