Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Daniel Faalele

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

fmlizard

Reaction score
Who would you say is the best player on the team going into 2019? Not for NFL potential or position-adjusted value. Just our best guy.

I'd say definitely Tyler #1 and Coughlin #2

When he's healthy then i'd put Winfield #3 but he needs to prove he can stay healthy and that he's back to 100%. Then after those 3 you can make a case for a number of guys at 4. Rodney, Mo, Bateman, Barber etc.

Wow, that’s a tough one.

These are in no particular order. I can’t pick just one.

Tyler Johnson
Carter Coughlin
Rashod Bateman
Antoine Winfield Jr (he has to stay healthy)
Daniel Faalele (A little raw still, but perhaps the biggest difference maker)
Mohamed Ibrahim
Rodney Smith
Shannon Brooks (he has to stay healthy)
Thomas Barber

Tanner Morgan might not yet be one of the best players on the team, but at the moment, he’s the most important one.

I just named nearly half the team, and I feel like a couple more might deserve to be on that list. We have a pretty good squad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This may be a hot take, but if Rodney Smith is pre-injury Rodney Smith I have to go with him.

Quite a list. Can't vote one over the other. Been a long time since I could say this with the Gophers.

Right now.
It's Carter Coughlin.

Best current starter in two years. Rashad Bateman

Best NFL career. - Daniel Faalele or Curtis Dunlap Jr.

This may be a hot take, but if Rodney Smith is pre-injury Rodney Smith I have to go with him.

My hot take is that Rodney is fairly over rated on this board. To me he is an average big10 rb.

Many good ones, but I'm voting for Carter Coughlin. Without him I think we would see a huge difference...and not the good kind.

I'd say definitely Tyler #1 and Coughlin #2

When he's healthy then i'd put Winfield #3 but he needs to prove he can stay healthy and that he's back to 100%. Then after those 3 you can make a case for a number of guys at 4. Rodney, Mo, Bateman, Barber etc.

That was my order as well. Had Winfield been healthy recently he would've gotten stronger consideration for #1.

lots of offense bias ,but it is carter. If we had a better DL and he was still a linebacker, he would get so much more hype and looks IMO. He has done well but I still think he is a more natural LB.

I think Tyler Johnson is at the top. If it hadn't been for injuries in their careers then Brooks, Smith and Winfield Jr. would have better cases.

Gotta go with production. TJ is our best player closely followed by Coughlin. But.....I definitely think at least Bateman, Faalele, and Winfield have All Big-Ten potential.

Voting is about as I expect.

I do agree Morgan may be our most important player however, but that's nature of being a QB and other QB being hurt

lots of offense bias ,but it is carter. If we had a better DL and he was still a linebacker, he would get so much more hype and looks IMO. He has done well but I still think he is a more natural LB.

I think he'd get less hype as an LB. Wouldn't have the same opportunity to get those big TFL and sack numbers if he wasn't on the line. A 3-4 OLB edge rushing type has always been Carter's most natural position, it is what he played mostly in high school when he got the big offers from OSU and Oregon, not as a traditional 4-3 LB.

Tough one, and could make a case for a number of different guys but I went with Carter Coughlin. Exciting to see that many offensive playmakers listed, just need a season of good health so that they can get on the field and show what they can do.

I voted for Ty but Dunlop Jr is better than Faalele.

Yeah, the RT spot vastly improved when we put Daniel in and his ceiling is certainly extremely high but I think our fans has a bit of a misconception of how good he actually was last year.

He definitely didn't get beat a ton in pass pro but if you take the time to watch him on every single play, there were a lot of times when he would just run right by two LB's that he was in between and then he would turn around and look like "Oh, that was the guy I was suppose to block? Oops." It's definitely something that can be easily fixed with time but last year he didn't always know who to block.

Also I didn't think he was all that aggressive last year. He doesn't usually try to absolutely pound you into submission like some of our TE's do, he is more content to just give you a love tap and a slight push. Now he is so big and strong that sometimes that is enough to make a difference but I'd like to see him play with more of a mean streak and more physicality. Dunlap on the other hand already is pretty good with that, he's more of an enforcer type and I think he also has better awareness of who to block.

Well, I’d wager every player on the list has deficiencies if you watch every play and/or are projections. TJ doesn’t have elite speed and has had iffy hands on “easy passes”. Sure those things might improve. Winfield hasn’t really played vs elite competition since his true freshman season and will surely get beat or be out of position at times etc etc. If I had to go with past production tied to future I’d probably go with CC. He’s been durable and has been a disruptive force.

Sure it’s projecting a little bit to say Faalele is the best but he has a good chance to be dominating at his position going forward and really help the offense overall go.

My hot take is that Rodney is fairly over rated on this board. To me he is an average big10 rb.

I actually agree with you. That is not a slight to Rodney, but if both are healthy I take Shannon over him every day of the week.

I actually agree with you. That is not a slight to Rodney, but if both are healthy I take Shannon over him every day of the week.

Shannon’s best runs are definitely better than Rodney’s best runs but Rodney is more consistent snap to snap due to having better vision and patience. Shannon’s combination of straight line speed and power is definitely better but I’d say Rodney is better at everything else.

But I agree, both are good but not great backs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winfield is number one when he's on the field

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Tough one, and could make a case for a number of different guys but I went with Carter Coughlin. Exciting to see that many offensive playmakers listed, just need a season of good health so that they can get on the field and show what they can do.

I share your thoughts almost exactly. Coughlin has been a rock for us on defense, and been willing to switch positions to go where we need bodies.

I think that if Winfield had been consistently on the field, he might have made a strong argument too. Lots of reason to be excited about the offensive players listed.

As for Big Dan, there is a solid chance I'd vote for him after next year depending on how this season goes, and he was good (but not great) last year, but I think a lot of his votes are more about hype than performance so far.

Top Bottom