Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rashod Bateman

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Daniel Faalele

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters
Why is Ibrahim not even a choice? Are the other two running backs ahead in the depth charts?

Shannon’s best runs are definitely better than Rodney’s best runs but Rodney is more consistent snap to snap due to having better vision and patience. Shannon’s combination of straight line speed and power is definitely better but I’d say Rodney is better at everything else.

But I agree, both are good but not great backs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to say Rodney has better vision and patience when Brooks averages nearly a full yard more per carry in his career. Either way, glad they are both on our team.

This is a solid list of football players. My opinion, Conner Olson and Blaise Andries are the two best offensive linemen at this moment in time. Dunlap and Falalele will be in 2020.

I’m not even sure it is debatable. When healthy, SB > RS > MI. Maybe it will change over time, but right now that is simply the way it is... when healthy.

I’m gonna say Rodney Smith is an above average back. His balance and ability to spin off and take hits is top notch.

I’m not even sure it is debatable. When healthy, SB > RS > MI. Maybe it will change over time, but right now that is simply the way it is... when healthy.

Agree.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

NFL type talent at a few positions. Not just talking about 5th to UDFA type guys, but 1-3rd round types...Carter, Tyler, Faalele (Winfield?). Not sure the last time they had this type of high end talent. Maybe Maroney and Barber years?

I’m gonna say Rodney Smith is an above average back. His balance and ability to spin off and take hits is top notch.

I’m with you. Super versatile with pass blocking and catching balls out of the backfield. Good in space.
I would say before knee injury RS >MI>SB and that is based on Mo continuing to improve. He was so good down the stretch last year.

Would it be hyperbole to say the Gophers have 10 players who could start for Michigan or OSU this year?
Coughlin, Tyler Johnson, Bateman, Andries, Big Dan, Barber, Martin, Durr, Williamson, Winfield Junior

That this is debatable (and there aren’t a lot of wrong answers) is a very good sign.

Would it be hyperbole to say the Gophers have 10 players who could start for Michigan or OSU this year?
Coughlin, Tyler Johnson, Bateman, Andries, Big Dan, Barber, Martin, Durr, Williamson, Winfield Junior

I’m not sure Durr belongs in that list.

Hard to say Rodney has better vision and patience when Brooks averages nearly a full yard more per carry in his career. Either way, glad they are both on our team.

Thats because Shannon is much better at breaking the long run. If you took the median carry for each, a stat not sensitive to extreme outliers, i'd bet Rodney's is higher.

When they have both been healthy at the same time, Rodney has consistently started over Shannon over the course of their careers since 2015.

Now healthy look for Durr to have a nice year. Rodrick Williams started vs TCU in 2015. I remember when he was the next big thing. IIRC there was a platoon system all year, SB flashed big play potential at times while RS was more steady but not strong enough at the time to break tackles. SB fought injuries 2016/2017/2018 while RS gained size and strength. Now healthy I’d guess he gets the start, Mo will platoon, and SB will be worked in as the year goes on. One or all will miss time or suffer a season ending injury. One of Potts or Wiley will get some time for their 4 games and maybe more.

Rodney, Shannon, and Mo can all run the ball effectively. We all know that. What about the other responsibilities of the job?

1. Which back is the best pass blocker?

2. Which back is the best receiver out of the backfield?

3. Which back is best with ball security?

In other words, which back gives us the best chance to win? I’m thinking it’s a combination of Rodney and Mo.

Also...Rodney is a leader on the team. I’m not sure the same can be said about Shannon.

Last edited:

SB is the bigger big play threat and probably best short yardage guy but he has struggled with ball security since literally his first carry (botched hand off with ML7 @ CSU). Add in the off the field stuff and I’d guess coach will give preference to the others. That said, can’t wait to see all three out there one last time.

Rodney Smith based on game action is an elite receiver. Amazed over his career why he has not been utilized more in this role? Catches well, elusive, and great yards after the catch.
Shannon is the most exciting to watch carry the football for me but he is also the most likely to fumble which is worrisome.
Mo was a solid workhorse.
Add Seth to the mix and divide the carries.

Side note: No desire to see the QB run unless it is Sonataga. He looked good in practice last year, I thought. Appeared confident and able to throw too. Happy to see he got a shout out today from PJ.

Rodney Smith based on game action is an elite receiver. Amazed over his career why he has not been utilized more in this role? Catches well, elusive, and great yards after the catch.
Shannon is the most exciting to watch carry the football for me but he is also the most likely to fumble which is worrisome.
Mo was a solid workhorse.
Add Seth to the mix and divide the carries.

Side note: No desire to see the QB run unless it is Sonataga. He looked good in practice last year, I thought. Appeared confident and able to throw too. Happy to see he got a shout out today from PJ.

Ciarrocca has been urging Morgan to run it more which I think he finally has started to do. Need to keep that DE honest on the read option.

Of course it is debatable. That is just your opinion but I'm not sure you have the capacity to differentiate your opinion from empirically tested propositions.

Ciarrocca has been urging Morgan to run it more which I think he finally has started to do. Need to keep that DE honest on the read option.

That's fine, but with the receivers and the running backs we now have I'd prefer that he doesn't run as much as Leidner did.

Thats because Shannon is much better at breaking the long run. If you took the median carry for each, a stat not sensitive to extreme outliers, i'd bet Rodney's is higher.

So it's a knock on Shannon because he can break the home run? Part of the reason why I think Shannon is a better back is because of the long runs he produces.

So it's a knock on Shannon because he can break the home run? Part of the reason why I think Shannon is a better back is because of the long runs he produces.

I didn't say it's a knock, my point is that Shannon having a higher yards per carry doesn't prove that Rodney doesn't have better vision and patience than Shannon, something you refuted.

Of course it is debatable. That is just your opinion but I'm not sure you have the capacity to differentiate your opinion from empirically tested propositions.

Thanks for understanding. I’m doing the best I can.

Awfully hard to vote for Tyler Johnson with how often he drops the ball. If that diminishes greatly this year, he could be a very, very good player and a promising draft pick!

Top Bottom