Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Hong Kong Protests

Anyone paying attention? Or is this the kind of deal where Trump isn't siding with the protesters (incredibly), so the Trump fans don't care, and of course the board commies are hoping China squashes the capitalism out of Hong Kong, so no one cares?

JTF is outraged at John Daly's shorts, and misses the chance to take a 100% legit shot at Trump on something that matters. Amazing.

Trump not coming out in support of the protesters is the least surprising thing that has happened this week. We ceded the moral high ground as a country by electing this idiot.
    Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.

This is high stakes poker. The public has no idea what the plan is and shouldn’t.

My guess is that Trump doesn’t want to wreck future trade negotiations and is keeping his involvement to a minimum with this situation. But he will use that as leverage.

The protesters are giving China fits, as could be expected, since China is trying to speed up their control over Hong Kong, which wasn’t agreed to in the British handover.

As weak as Trump’s rhetoric sounds on the topic, I think the US will play the good guy enough to make sure China doesn’t go military on the protesters.

But where the heck is the criticism from the UN and international community about China’s attempt to exceed their influence over HK? Maybe there is and I just haven't heard it. I would think the UK would be raising heck.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega015 View Post
    Trump not coming out in support of the protesters is the least surprising thing that has happened this week. We ceded the moral high ground as a country by electing this idiot.
    You mean like Obama did with Iran and the Iranian people?

Trump has no plan. He never has. There is no poker. There is no leverage. He's too busy tweeting about Fredo to care about Hong Kong.

The UK also ceded the moral high ground by electing idiots. They are too busy imploding their own Kingdom right now.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerGopherFan View Post
    You mean like Obama did with Iran and the Iranian people?
    Stay on topic.

Trump has no plan. He never has. There is no poker. There is no leverage. He's too busy tweeting about Fredo to care about Hong Kong.

The UK also ceded the moral high ground by electing idiots. They are too busy imploding their own Kingdom right now.
    I’m not a poker player, but my advice to you is that you should never play poker and bet real money.

You aren’t grasping the concept of not tipping your hand.

Stay on topic.
    So if we're keeping score here, everyone that I don't agree with are idiots and don't bring up the previous regime's incompetence, although all we heard during Barry's 8 years was "but Bush", "but Bush!", "but Bush!!!"?

Does that sum it up?
    - Respect is the ultimate currency

Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    Anyone paying attention? Or is this the kind of deal where Trump isn't siding with the protesters (incredibly), so the Trump fans don't care, and of course the board commies are hoping China squashes the capitalism out of Hong Kong, so no one cares?

(tweet redacted)

JTF is outraged at John Daly's shorts, and misses the chance to take a 100% legit shot at Trump on something that matters. Amazing.
    Trump giving that exact answer to some policy question happens 5 times per week whenever a reporter asks him about something that hasn't yet appeared on Fox & Friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogee Oglethorpe View Post
    So if we're keeping score here, everyone that I don't agree with are idiots and don't bring up the previous regime's incompetence, although all we heard during Barry's 8 years was "but Bush", "but Bush!", "but Bush!!!"?

Does that sum it up?
    Omega is the most angry poster here. I would ignore. Have never had a substantive discussion with him/her.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerGopherFan View Post
    This is high stakes poker. The public has no idea what the plan is and shouldn’t.

My guess is that Trump doesn’t want to wreck future trade negotiations and is keeping his involvement to a minimum with this situation. But he will use that as leverage.

The protesters are giving China fits, as could be expected, since China is trying to speed up their control over Hong Kong, which wasn’t agreed to in the British handover.

As weak as Trump’s rhetoric sounds on the topic, I think the US will play the good guy enough to make sure China doesn’t go military on the protesters.

But where the heck is the criticism from the UN and international community about China’s attempt to exceed their influence over HK? Maybe there is and I just haven't heard it. I would think the UK would be raising heck.
    The US should always signal support with defenders of liberty the world over. They're flying US flags and signing the anthem for god's sake. It's a million times more important than a trade deal.

The U.S. should not publicly say anything. It's better if the protests are viewed and continue to grow organically. Shadow operations are probably happening. The goal is for this to spread to the mainland cities

Let's hope the protesters win, but I don't know what a win looks like right now.

My guess is that he will say something soon to support the protesters but I suspect that Pompeo and company are talking to China first and asking them to stop this nonsense. They may be thinking that a US statement at this moment may cost some protesters their lives if China decides to act with brutal force. It is no secret that Trump is playing tough with China, tougher than any President has so any notion that he has suddenly gone soft or will not be supportive of protests against China are a little foolish. Judging by a few of the posters lined up to criticize, that's not real surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Gopherguy0723 View Post
    The U.S. should not publicly say anything. It's better if the protests are viewed and continue to grow organically. Shadow operations are probably happening. The goal is for this to spread to the mainland cities

Let's hope the protesters win, but I don't know what a win looks like right now.
    I'm fine with saying nothing. I'm not fine with Trump's "both sides"ing it. Hong Kong protesters are in the right, period. I get that there are political calculations, but say nothing, or even a banal statement about the US always standing on the side of liberty and self determination.

Quote Originally Posted by Section2 View Post
    Omega is the most angry poster here. I would ignore. Have never had a substantive discussion with him/her.
    This is rich coming from you, since nobody on this board has ever had a substantive conversation with you.