UW-Madison does not want former Badgers wide receiver Quintez Cephus back lawyers say

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Journal Sentinel:

University of Wisconsin-Madison officials are sending a "clear message" they do not want former Badgers wide receiver Quintez Cephus to return to the university, Cephus' lawyers said Monday.

The decision comes a week after Cephus filed a petition for readmission to the university and two weeks after he was found not guilty of sexual assault. Cephus had requested a response from the university by last Thursday.

Stephen Meyer, one of Cephus' attorneys, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Cephus plans to appeal the decision. He said "the gloves will come off" if UW-Madison Chancellor Becky Blank "doesn't do what's right."

Cephus and members of the UW-Madison football team are holding a news conference on the matter at 4 p.m. Monday in Madison. A spokeswoman for UW-Madison did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

Meyer said Badgers football players also have written a letter to Blank in support of Cephus.

Cephus, 21, of Macon, Georgia, was expelled last semester after being accused of sexually assaulting two women in April 2018. A jury last week found him not guilty of one count of second-degree sexual assault of an intoxicated victim and one count of third-degree sexual assault.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news...r-quintez-cephus-back-lawyers-say/1942557001/

Go Gophers!!

per the Journal Sentinel:

University of Wisconsin-Madison officials are sending a "clear message" they do not want former Badgers wide receiver Quintez Cephus to return to the university, Cephus' lawyers said Monday.

The decision comes a week after Cephus filed a petition for readmission to the university and two weeks after he was found not guilty of sexual assault. Cephus had requested a response from the university by last Thursday.

Stephen Meyer, one of Cephus' attorneys, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Cephus plans to appeal the decision. He said "the gloves will come off" if UW-Madison Chancellor Becky Blank "doesn't do what's right."

Cephus and members of the UW-Madison football team are holding a news conference on the matter at 4 p.m. Monday in Madison. A spokeswoman for UW-Madison did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

Meyer said Badgers football players also have written a letter to Blank in support of Cephus.

Cephus, 21, of Macon, Georgia, was expelled last semester after being accused of sexually assaulting two women in April 2018. A jury last week found him not guilty of one count of second-degree sexual assault of an intoxicated victim and one count of third-degree sexual assault.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news...r-quintez-cephus-back-lawyers-say/1942557001/

Go Gophers!!

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/bU2nZJegR7rz2" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/crimson-reggie-bush-shaft-bU2nZJegR7rz2"></a></p>

With the team so solidly backing the player and the University apparently so set on parting ways... makes me wonder if this couldn't become some level of a distraction for their program.

Doesn’t matter if he didn’t commit a crime.

The university has every right to expel any student for violating the code of conduct at any time.

With the team so solidly backing the player and the University apparently so set on parting ways... makes me wonder if this couldn't become some level of a distraction for their program.

AD, or?

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/Lp9HQO1PCJK0KqiHx9" width="480" height="265" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/tcm-turner-classic-movies-50s-film-nxnw-Lp9HQO1PCJK0KqiHx9"></a></p>

Checking Paul Chryst's twitter account....

Doesn’t matter if he didn’t commit a crime.

The university has every right to expel any student for violating the code of conduct at any time.

What was the code of conduct violation? Seems it was most likely a false allegation, and we will never know the actual truth.

Conversely, yes you are right if there is a serious enough violation. Prime example being the gopher football players who were expelled (not sure if that was the exact punishment, I know they are gone now)

It's weird having two parallel justice systems that reach different conclusions.

They may have decided different factors but when one is opaque it's hard to really get any idea what they were deciding.

It's weird having two parallel justice systems that reach different conclusions.

Makes sense to me. They use different burdens of proof, because the consequences of losing your freedom versus losing your ability to attend a university are so different.

Makes sense to me. They use different burdens of proof, because the consequences of losing your freedom versus losing your ability to attend a university are so different.

Not saying this pertains to the UW incident- but if your son is accused by the “ethics court” for taking advantage of a drunken girl when there is no evidence to confirm that, your son tells you everything was consensual and no witnesses will confirm her story you’d be ok with you son being booted and his name/reputatation being forever besmirched?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmmm...

What exactly is the burden of proof, in this case? I'm asking because I don't know.

Was there some type of due process, and if so, what was that process? What are the rights of the accused, and how do they differ from those of the accused in a court of law?

The consequences for being kicked out of a school after being accused of something like this — despite the fact that he was acquitted in court — could be pretty substantial, it seems to me. Anyone doing a quick bit of research will easily find it, and the consequences of that that will follow him the rest of his life.

you’d be ok with you son being booted

We’d have a long discussion about the life choices he made that led to the events of that night. Probably, he wasn’t a perfect angel.

Very, very unlikely some woman that he’s never met in his life randomly lashes out at someone with a false accusation. Also, if there is literally no proof of anything and no one is willing to testify at all, including the accuser, then it’s very likely the school wouldn’t take action.

We’d have a long discussion about the life choices he made that led to the events of that night. Probably, he wasn’t a perfect angel.

Very, very unlikely some woman that he’s never met in his life randomly lashes out at someone with a false accusation. Also, if there is literally no proof of anything and no one is willing to testify at all, including the accuser, then it’s very likely the school wouldn’t take action.

Wow.

There is always a place where players like this are acceptable. Lincoln, Nebraska.

Any professional licensing or credentialing body not to mention school admittance bodies will ask the question of prior expulsion, reasons, etc. An expulsion for sexual assault will have life long and wide ranging damages for many/most. In this day and age inviting a “convicted” sex offender on campus with the potential blowback involved in the age of social media is probably a bridge too far for admittance administrators when there are plenty of other qualified candidates.

If one does make it into a school one will also be explaining the expulsion to any professional licensing and credentialing bodies for the rest of their work life. Anybody that says otherwise doesn’t know what the hell they’re talking about.

You must be totally unplugged from society, or live in an alternate universe.

A percentage similar to or more than the percent of crooked cops that plant evidence, are consciously racist, target minotities, yet we’re in the midst of a national conversation about that. Maybe we should approach each case on its merits and try to bury any baked in bias and prejudice (that we all have)?

We know some percentage number, X, or accusations are false, are a case of mistaken memory/judgment, or aren’t sexual assault in the legal sense. The accused shouldn’t have to prove their innocence.

There is always a place where players like this are acceptable. Lincoln, Nebraska.

"Players like this", meaning... players that are accused of a crime, and then acquitted of said crime(s)?

They may have decided different factors but when one is opaque it's hard to really get any idea what they were deciding.

Trust the one with some level of transparency.

Some people are hesitant to try to talk about something they know nothing about. I commend you on your bravery.

Will Chryst become the next Claeys...

Some people are hesitant to try to talk about something they know nothing about. I commend you on your bravery.
It's certainly never stopped him before!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I would take him. The young man has been through one of the worst things that can be done to a man. He deserves to be welcomed back and respected for his courage during such an ordeal.

This reminds me of Dukakis answer to if Willy Horton raped his wife

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

You must be totally unplugged from society, or live in an alternate universe.

I agree with Gophers_4life

If you are plugged into society at all, you need to rethink things and be aware of who you are with when you are with them alone.
If you watched the news in the last 3-5 years, you know that as a male, being alone with a female for a short period of time is not safe, and you can assume that if you are left alone, something really bad could end up being blamed on you.

It's pretty important to establish a pretty long, strong, trusting relationship to spend time alone at this point. You may not like it, but if you want to eliminate the risk, these are the choices you need to make.

"Players like this", meaning... players that are accused of a crime, and then acquitted of said crime(s)?

"Players like this" meaning players who put themselves in a situation where they can be accused of these things.
You need to keep yourself out of trouble these days,especially with people you don't know. And you can't be caught alone with someone who is female or in a lower stature of power than you.

It's just not safe. This has been established.

Top Bottom