UW-Madison does not want former Badgers wide receiver Quintez Cephus back lawyers say

So in other words, hyper conservative Wisc state representatives threatened to pull funding if she didn’t do what she was told, like a woman ought to.

Classic Wisconsin.

X
So in other words, hyper conservative Wisc state representatives threatened to pull funding if she didn’t do what she was told, like a woman ought to.

Classic Wisconsin.

Or alternatively they reviewed all available evidence not initially presented including videos, transcripts and common sense prevailed.

Classic Wisconsin.

Sounds like ultra liberal Gophers_4life has a little bit of a problem with an African American getting a fair shake here. Proving you are as moral as you are intelligent once again.

The Rule of Law is the main idea to me. We as a society say that guilt or innocence are determined by a trial and a jury of one's peers, and that process said "innocent". Just as if it had said "guilty", society would have locked him up, society needs to fully accept the outcome of innocence and immediately return Mr. Cephus to full standing as a free citizen of good repute. Based on that same outcome, society owes Mr. Cephus a debt for the substantial ordeal he has overcome.

Yes, I understand that strictly legally speaking one has no bearing on the other, but we also can't as a society be creating a bunch of other "shadow juries" that can punish the innocent.

The Rule of Law is the main idea to me. We as a society say that guilt or innocence are determined by a trial and a jury of one's peers, and that process said "innocent". Just as if it had said "guilty", society would have locked him up, society needs to fully accept the outcome of innocence and immediately return Mr. Cephus to full standing as a free citizen of good repute. Based on that same outcome, society owes Mr. Cephus a debt for the substantial ordeal he has overcome.

Yes, I understand that strictly legally speaking one has no bearing on the other, but we also can't as a society be creating a bunch of other "shadow juries" that can punish the innocent.

kan·ga·roo court
/ˈˌkaNGɡəˈro͞o ˌkôrt/

noun

an unofficial court held by a group of people in order to try someone regarded, especially without good evidence, as guilty of a crime or misdemeanor.

Where does it say that? Was that reported in some other article?

X

Or alternatively they reviewed all available evidence not initially presented including videos, transcripts and common sense prevailed.

This. For better or worse, the process worked as designed. The school held an initial hearing where Cephus didn't/couldn't present his side of the story as his legal team was preparing for his criminal trial and didn't want to do anything to harm that. So based on evidence presented without evidence from Cephus, the school expelled him. Now the trial is wrapped up, he was found not guilty (12-0 not guilty verdict within 30 minutes of closing arguments wrapping up) and his side showed up to the chancellor with the video/text evidence and trial transcripts.

Many (including me) who followed this are certain this case never should have been brought by the DA in light of the evidence. The swift jury verdict confirms this. Time for this young man to get on with his life now.

Last edited:

Wisconsin's Cephus reinstated but not yet eligible

"MADISON, Wis. -- Former Wisconsin receiver Quintez Cephus was cleared Monday to return to school after a jury acquitted him of sexual assault charges. It is unclear when he will be eligible to play in a game.

The school announced Chancellor Rebecca Blank's decision in a statement that said the university had obtained information that wasn't provided during a student conduct review. The statement said sanctions against Cephus have been "reduced," and his expulsion has been lifted, though some conduct violations were upheld.

The statement didn't elaborate. Wisconsin spokesman John Lucas said he had no information on what the school learned and declined to comment on what conduct violations were upheld.

Wisconsin coach Paul Chryst has said he would welcome Cephus back, and the athletic department confirmed that Cephus had officially rejoined the team. In its own statement, the department said it was "working through eligibility issues before he can participate in a game." The opener for the 19th-ranked Badgers is Aug. 30 at South Florida.

"UW Athletics takes allegations of sexual misconduct very seriously," the statement said.

Cephus' attorney, Stephen Meyer, told The Associated Press in an email that he believes the eligibility issues will be addressed promptly, but he didn't elaborate."

https://www.espn.com/college-footba.../wisconsin-cephus-reinstated-not-yet-eligible

Not just that but in this case Cephus had to choose between defending himself at the University, and possibly hurting his defense of the criminal case. Or not defending himself at the University and what seems to be effectively being tried and found guilty in absentia at the University in hopes of being able to better defend himself in the criminal case. This seems to assure that he would be punished one way or another... that catch 22 seems pretty absurd.

and what seems to be effectively being tried and found guilty in absentia at the University

You propose that any student who refuses to participate in the school’s investigation must therefore be acquitted? Brilliant.

Likely the school was not allowed to wait. The federal mandates usually require the school to act within a certain timeframe. Otherwise schools would just sit on it for years.

Doesn’t matter if he didn’t commit a crime.

The university has every right to expel any student for violating the code of conduct at any time.

This post didn't age well...

Wisconsin's Cephus reinstated but not yet eligible

"MADISON, Wis. -- Former Wisconsin receiver Quintez Cephus was cleared Monday to return to school after a jury acquitted him of sexual assault charges. It is unclear when he will be eligible to play in a game.

The school announced Chancellor Rebecca Blank's decision in a statement that said the university had obtained information that wasn't provided during a student conduct review. The statement said sanctions against Cephus have been "reduced," and his expulsion has been lifted, though some conduct violations were upheld.

The statement didn't elaborate. Wisconsin spokesman John Lucas said he had no information on what the school learned and declined to comment on what conduct violations were upheld.

Wisconsin coach Paul Chryst has said he would welcome Cephus back, and the athletic department confirmed that Cephus had officially rejoined the team. In its own statement, the department said it was "working through eligibility issues before he can participate in a game." The opener for the 19th-ranked Badgers is Aug. 30 at South Florida.

"UW Athletics takes allegations of sexual misconduct very seriously," the statement said.

Cephus' attorney, Stephen Meyer, told The Associated Press in an email that he believes the eligibility issues will be addressed promptly, but he didn't elaborate."

https://www.espn.com/college-footba.../wisconsin-cephus-reinstated-not-yet-eligible

You propose that any student who refuses to participate in the school’s investigation must therefore be acquitted? Brilliant.

Likely the school was not allowed to wait. The federal mandates usually require the school to act within a certain timeframe. Otherwise schools would just sit on it for years.

how did this not play out like it should?? Was buckyeah wrong when he wrote above? If you are for meaningful improvement you could at least debate the statement that it played out like it should. I'm actually with you in the fact that if he can't participate, its fine if he is expelled. If he goes to jail he couldn't go to school anyway so of course that will take priority. I also think it is right that they reinstated him.

Classic Wisconsin.

Sorry, I forgot to reply with the quote earlier. I'm just curious if it was reported that Wisconsin state representatives threatened to pull funding if Chancellor Blank didn't do as she was told, or if someone is just making stuff up because they are not happy with the outcome of this situation.
If it was reported, I sure would like to see a link. And not a link to a site that has a bunch of ads for auto warranties or life insurance.

Likely the school was not allowed to wait. The federal mandates usually require the school to act within a certain timeframe. <b>Otherwise schools would just sit on it for years.</b>

Sure, schools would just love to sit on a case where a football player was accused of sexual assault for years. That would be a great look. I’m sure activist groups, the media, and the public would just let the story die, right.

This may be the most absurd statement you have made on here. No easy task.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would anyone know about it, if they buried it?

Penn State. Baylor.

Nice examples...for things that came out and look what happened to those schools.
You proved exactly what Spoofin was talking about.

Only because of extraordinary effort by some motivated persons. Willing to bet other schools have similar skeletons buried deep, and we’ll never know.

Only because of extraordinary effort by some motivated persons. <b>Willing to bet other schools have similar skeletons buried deep, and we’ll never know.</b>

I’d like some data behind that expectation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad we agree that the (likely) timeframes dictated by the federally mandated investigations are good and prevent he school from waiting excessively long to conclude (or even begin) the process.

Well, he is back on the team now, as of today, so I hope he is not the difference maker in November at TCF. I do not recall much about him, but I think he is better than anyone else we saw i the Axe game last year at WR.

Regardless of what happens in November, I am happy he has a chance to return and did not get 100 percent railroaded like Winfield almost did here.

Well, he is back on the team now, as of today, so I hope he is not the difference maker in November at TCF. I do not recall much about him, but I think he is better than anyone else we saw i the Axe game last year at WR.

Regardless of what happens in November, I am happy he has a chance to return and did not get 100 percent railroaded like Winfield almost did here.

Big guy that's hard to bring down. Was their best receiver in 2017.
https://youtu.be/PEzDzTRrHZI

Top Bottom