Season Opening week - advice about travelling around?

It's nuts. Parking is expensive. Admission. Food prices are over-inflated.
Can't spend a day there for under $100. At the end of the day you go home feeling like you ate bad food, you stink like farm, and you watched people just stuff their faces all day long. You see these people who you think "There is no way they can eat all of those cheese curds and finish that malt", but sure enough, they just suck that malt right down eating those cheese curds. Then they get up from that park bench and get in line for a pronto pup. And you think "MY GOD, NO!!!" and sure enough, they wait in line for the pronto pop, and you hope they are getting it for their kid, but nope. It's for them. They order one, cover that baby with mustard and ketchup where it's just dripping on the sidewalk and they eat the hole darn thing. Then you wonder what they are going to get their kid, and it's the cotton candy stand. Kid barely finished his malt and they are topping it with some freshly made cotton candy and some Hawaiian Shaved Ice.

It's just the best.

The opposite of state fair is a free kale salad that smells nice.
I have a family of 4 and I doubt we spend much over $100 at the fair. Just need to be selective about what and how much food you eat. There's a ton of free exhibits at the fair.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice all. Plenty of ideas for us to pull together. Really appreciate your time.

A final few quick questions ...

- Having declined the opportunity to visit the State Fair last time we may give it a go one day this year (for good or bad, depending on opinion, it sounds as though it will at the very least give us something to talk about!). What is the best way to get to the State Fair from close to the University (I can't work out from the information the optimum transport link) and what time is it best to arrive?

- I'm guessing all football practices will be closed to the public the week leading up to the game? Is it possible to arrange a tour of the Sports Village through the U?

- My son's girlfriend quite likes the music of Prince. Is Paisley Park/Chanhassen quite easy to get to by Public transport?

Best wishes and thanks again

I highly recommend this for you, check out the Rolling Stoners - A Stones tribute band that will be out at the State Fair on Sunday, 08/25 at 7:30, they are excellent and bring a lot of energy and it will be a touch of home for you while you are here. https://www.bandsintown.com/e/100888547

Also, some advice on visiting Paisley Park, well worth it - I've done the tour. A tip, spend the extra money and take the more expensive tour. I did the cheaper one but everyone I know that has taken the more expensive one for the extra $30 or whatever it is said it was well worth it, you get to see more areas of Paisley Park.

Would also highly recommend going to see Lake Minnetonka and doing a boat cruise if you head out to Paisley Park, there are several boat lunch/dinner cruises to pick from on that side of the lake, it's only 10 minutes from Lake Minnetonka to Paisley Park. Let me know if you head that way and I'll meet you at Maynard's in Excelsior and buy you guys a pint, I live in Chanhassen, could actually drive you over to Paisley Park if you'd like.

Enjoy your stay. Ski U Mah.

I have a family of 4 and I doubt we spend much over $100 at the fair. Just need to be selective about what and how much food you eat. There's a ton of free exhibits at the fair.

I don't want to be nit picky but a family of four at the fair for $100 has to be some sort of record. Depending on kid ages, I'm assuming you are somewhere in the $56-$60 range just to get through the gate. Then an average of $10 each for food, games, and whatever else the rest of the day? I realize there is a lot of free stuff but WOW! That is getting through there without eating much, for sure. Perhaps your kids are newborn twins in a stroller. That would help keep things closer to $100.

If you want insight into America, by all means visit the State Fair.

If you actually want to have an enjoyable time, avoid it all costs.

It's sorta like visiting one of the 'show' bars in Bangkok. You might legitimately do it because it's a curiosity, but holy cow will you be disgusted.

My go-to for visitors is to do the St. Anthony Main area like others have mentioned. Aster and Wilde Cafe are both good food options with outdoor seating. Walk across the Stone Arch Bridge towards downtown for a great view. Grab a beverage at the bar as Sea Change, head upstairs in the Guthrie and go to the Endless Bridge which overlooks the river. It's a beautiful view of the area. You can see the U off to the east. You can take the elevator up to the Amber Box for a different perspective. If you are looking for a treat - Izzy's Ice Cream is nearby.

I highly recommend Tattersall for cocktails. It's a short uber/lyft from Dinkytown.

I've taken the bus from the U to the State Fair many times - it works great. At the State Fair there is a nice area on the west side on the second floor of the grandstand that has Minnesota-related items for sale. Popular local artist Adam Turman has a booth there. There are beverages and food available and a nice, cool (temp not vibe) lounge area on the stairway landing area.

Minnehaha Falls and Sea Salt Eatery are high on my list as well.

If you end up renting a car, Stillwater is pretty. It's along the St. Croix River. It's about 40 minutes from Dinkytown I think, though.

Have a fun, safe visit!

I highly recommend this for you, check out the Rolling Stoners - A Stones tribute band that will be out at the State Fair on Sunday, 08/25 at 7:30, they are excellent and bring a lot of energy and it will be a touch of home for you while you are here. https://www.bandsintown.com/e/100888547

Nooky Jones is a very good local Funk/R&B band and they are playing free a few different days at the fair.

Don't listen to these fools. The state fair is where it's at. There's something for everyone. It's the great minnesota get together.

I'm shocked by all this Fair hatred.

It's not my favorite, I go every few years, but I can see why people dont like it

It is large mass of human bodies ambling about eating greasy food

I don't want to be nit picky but a family of four at the fair for $100 has to be some sort of record. Depending on kid ages, I'm assuming you are somewhere in the $56-$60 range just to get through the gate. Then an average of $10 each for food, games, and whatever else the rest of the day? I realize there is a lot of free stuff but WOW! That is getting through there without eating much, for sure. Perhaps your kids are newborn twins in a stroller. That would help keep things closer to $100.

Yeah - we don't eat too much (just our favorites) and don't do the rides/games there. Being city folk, we get a kick out of all the farm animal buildings. We also go through most if not all of the free exhibit buildings. We're usually in at 8am and out by 1 or 2 pm before the crowds are too insane.

Every time I'm so naive as to be shocked by some tale of human stupidity that makes the news, I simply google "Street scenes from Minnesota State Fair" and I'm no longer shocked.

I love it and hate it at the same time.

It was at its peak IMO in the 80's and early 90's.
When it used to have a machinery hill and auto racing, and when they didn't synchronize pricing and the introduction of the styrofoam cups among all vendors.
At that point they started kicking out long time food vendors and started in bringing in foods as attractions instead of other attractions that cost more.

State Fair Parking $15.
Regular Price Admission $15

Yeah, I have to agree with you...Y'all have to remember, the OP is coming here from England, and the MN State Fair is one of a kind, comparable in this country only to Texas. I grew up in Minnesota, a child of the 50's and 60's(moved out of state in the late 70's),and the State Fair was always a highlight. My wife and I flew back for 2 Gopher home openers in the last 6 years and visited the State Fair both times....Expensive--yup. Greasy food--yup. Crowds of people--yup. AND WE HAD THE BEST TIME!. I understand how if it's in your backyard and you can chose to go there every year or not, it's not that big of a deal to miss it. I would imagine the OP hasn't seen anything like this and since it could be a one time shot for him, it definitely could be a great way to spend a day as part of ones vacation.

Last edited:

Yeah, I have to agree with you...Y'all have to remember, the OP is coming here from England, and the MN State Fair is one of a kind, comparable in this country only to Texas. I grew up in Minnesota, a child of the 50's and 60's(moved out of state in the late 70's),and the State Fair was always a highlight. My wife and I flew back for 2 Gopher home openers in the last 6 years and visited the State Fair both times....Expensive--yup. Greasy food--yup. Crowds of people--yup. AND WE HAD THE BEST TIME!. I understand how if it's in your backyard and you can chose to go there every year or not, it's not that big of a deal to miss it. I would imagine the OP hasn't seen anything like this and since it could be a one time shot for him, it definitely could be a great way to spend a day as part of ones vacation.

Well said.

Spot on. Regardless of the price and the quality of the food, I'd recommend it to anyone visiting the area.

A couple years ago, my wife and I were in Croatia when the small town we were staying in happened to have their annual sardine festival. Was it overpriced? Probably. Was the food good? As good as sardines can be. Would I attend again? In a heartbeat. There's no better way to get a sense of the culture of an area than to do some people watching and mingle at some weird local festival.

Can't spend a day there for under $100. At the end of the day you go home feeling like you ate bad food, you stink like farm, and you watched people just stuff their faces all day long. You see these people who you think "There is no way they can eat all of those cheese curds and finish that malt", but sure enough, they just suck that malt right down eating those cheese curds. Then they get up from that park bench and get in line for a pronto pup. And you think "MY GOD, NO!!!" and sure enough, they wait in line for the pronto pop, and you hope they are getting it for their kid, but nope. It's for them. They order one, cover that baby with mustard and ketchup where it's just dripping on the sidewalk and they eat the hole darn thing. Then you wonder what they are going to get their kid, and it's the cotton candy stand. Kid barely finished his malt and they are topping it with some freshly made cotton candy and some Hawaiian Shaved Ice.

It's just the best.

Hmm, I take the bus and I spend maybe $20. That is just me. I also don't think for a once a year event that spending $100 or more is a lot.

It's not my favorite, I go every few years, but I can see why people dont like it

It is large mass of human bodies ambling about eating greasy food

Kind of figure that a guy that that flies all the way to Minnesota to go to a college football game isn't above large amounts of people eating unhealthy food.

When it used to have a machinery hill and auto racing, and when they didn't synchronize pricing and the introduction of the styrofoam cups among all vendors.
At that point they started kicking out long time food vendors and started in bringing in foods as attractions instead of other attractions that cost more.

State Fair Parking $15.
I think you overestimate what $100 can buy. Decent single game tickets for my family of 4 to attend the better Gopher football games would be close to $400 once you factor parking in.

It's just the best.

These people that you see there seem really awful. Damn shame we just don't have a lot more people like you. Hahaha.

These people that you see there seem really awful. Damn shame we just don't have a lot more people like you. Hahaha.

You and I would get along great.

Wanna go to State Fair with me?

State Fair Parking $15.
And don't forget...if it's a hot sunny day...the scenery gets better too....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The State Fair is something to try at least once. It's the second largest state fair in the country in terms of total attendance, but the largest in daily attendance. The Texas State Fair has a larger total attendance, but it is open for more days. There are park and ride lots all over the metro area for the fair. You can catch a free bus that will take you to the fair and then take one back. We always do the Space Tower. It's a 340 foot tower, and you're slowly taken up the top and slowly taken down. It's a very nice view. We also do the Ye Old Mill ride, built in 1915 just for the kitchy tackiness of it.

spacetower.jpg

I'd visit Minnehaha Falls. It's a 53 ft waterfall in Minneapolis. You can take the light rail (Blue Line) to Minnehaha Park.

MinnehahaFalls.jpg

There is also the Sculpture Garden. It's free. The Spoonbridge and Cherry is one of the iconic images used a lot for Minneapolis.
SpoonAndCherry.jpg

I'd also recommend the Minneapolis Institute of Art. They really do have a large, high quality selection of art. I like their ancient art collection. It's also free, although they do have special exhibits that require admission. There's plenty to see in the main collection, however. You could spend all day there if you wanted.
art.jpg

Renaissance Festival is going on during that time if you need more festivals.

Dear All

Apologies for a self-indulgent post...

Travelling from England for my second visit to Minnesota the week of the season opener. Will have my wife, son and his girlfriend with me (son and girlfriend both in their early 20s).

Last time I visited we were pretty unadventurous in terms of site-seeing, staying mainly around the immediate Campus area. This time I have tickets for the Vikings preseason game against the Cardinals on the Saturday, the season opener against South Dakota State on Thursday evening (of course) but looking for other things to do in-between? Thinking of the State Fair? Trip to a Lake? Edging more towards outings that are pleasant/relaxing/fun rather than any high octane stuff (where they exist).

I've been on a few tourist information sites but very grateful for any advice on places we should visit and the easiest ways to get there from the Dinkytown area (I'd rather use public transport than hiring a car if possible).

Many thanks in anticipation.

If your renting a car, don't be afraid to head north on 35W and check out the Lake Superior shore line north of Duluth. It doesn't get any more scenic and the temperatures are sure to be cooler than MPLS. Stay a night at Fitgers (hotel and Brewery) and enjoy their brews, ride the alpine slide at Spirit Mountain ski area. Duluth is only a 3 hour drive.

Don't want to drive that far? Go check out Stillwater and the St.Croix river valley.

Go to Betty Danger's (North East MPLS) for cocktails on the ferris wheel!

The State Fair is fun, but can get very crowded. Going on a really hot day can be sheer torture.

Mini Golf on the roof of The Walker Art museum is fun and right next to the sculpture garden.

Lawn Bowling on the roof of Brit's pub in downtown is also fun. If you can get on the pitch.

Last edited:

kayaking on the Mississippi is fun...the Capitol and the Cathedral are treasures...Mama's or Yarusso's are great local joints; and Morelli's is fun...Stone Arch Bridge walk...Kramarczuk's...Psycho Suzie's...new Bell Museum on St. Paul campus...at the Fair, I love the Arts and Crafts displays in the buildings along Snelling...some amazing displays of woodworking, quilting, baking, photography...must see Princess Kay of the Milky Way getting her likeness carved in butter...like seeing the fish at the DNR and the collection of MN wildlife taxidermy...find the boar with the big nuts...watch some of the best salesmen in the world pitching wares in the grandstand or the ag/hort building...

Basically, there is so much to do you should probably plan an additional trip to MN at a future time, haha.

Who wants to start a go fund me so Face the Facts can pay for State Fair parking?

Who wants to start a go fund me so Face the Facts can pay for State Fair parking?

That's too kind.
I'll take the bus.

I will need money for deep fried olives however.

Top Bottom