Golden Dunkers - Current and Prospective Members (questions?)

KeithMpls

Reaction score
I'm on the board of the non-profit booster group of the Golden Dunkers and it's come to our attention that many gophers basketball fans have little-to-no awareness of our organization (or have misconceptions about our organization).

I thought I'd start this thread to see if there are any questions that I can answer for people interested in joining the booster group for this coming 2019-2020 season. In addition to this Q&A on the forum, checkout our website at http://www.goldendunkers.com or follow our social media at @goldendunkers on facebook, instagram, twitter, pinterest and youtube.

Looking forward to see what questions you all have
KeithMpls

Could you give a breakdown of the different memberships and what they would give somebody? (Gold vs Maroon vs Club membership)

Does it provide access/seating advantages for Big Ten Tournament and NCAA Tournament tickets?

Last edited:

When you say "golden dunkers" are you referring to old people at the local Dunkin Donuts?

Back court members (what I can afford) seem like second class citizens. Is there a way we can be "full" members and maybe pay/donate a la carte for events beyond what the low level membership provides? The higher levels are a lot of money and there is no way I could make all the events. If there was a mid range that allowed a "buy in" of the few events I could make, it would be more attractive.

Why did they change the Williams Arena court floor from perfect to unbearable (though not as bad as Oregon)?

Don't think the Golden Dunkers had any say in that

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

They are the Star Chamber, you know. They make all the important decisions without the rest of us knowing.

The lack of response to requests for further information fits with my impression of the G. Dunkers. I suspect they want to promote the group because its dying off but the inner workings are a social hierarchy people don't buy into much anymore.

The lack of response to requests for further information fits with my impression of the G. Dunkers. I suspect they want to promote the group because its dying off but the inner workings are a social hierarchy people don't buy into much anymore.

Hahaha this..."hey does anyone have questions? Nevermind I don't care, only pretend to"

What is the group like? Demographic? Age? Women? My wife and I have considered joining your group in the past but it is cost prohibitive and I'm not sure we'd really fit in.

If anyone wants info on the Maroon Shooters, which is just me going to bars before and after home games, lets me know. Cost to join is picking up the first round.

PompousElitest is most likely a member!

Sorry for the gap in timing for my responses, had a rough week at work and stuff at home, didn’t jump back out here as frequently as managing our social-media accounts. Will respond in a more timely manner to this thread.

Again apologies

There are a variety of types of people who are members, sort of like the different types of people who are season ticket-holders. Members showing up at any given pre-game event is also varied as members get +1 guest... sometimes a member brings a spouse, other times they bring their kid(s) and other times they bring a co-worker (again, just like season ticket-holders bring different guests each games)

Details are on our website http://www.goldendunkers.com/membership

Basically the difference in membership level is the amount of donation to the team (support of the program is the point of a booster group) and the level of member dues to cover costs of our events.

- Gold members have access to all pre-game events along with a +1 guest.
- Maroon members have access ala Carter to the pre-game events on a per attended basis.
* popular with out-of-town members who can’t mske all home games
- Backcourt members get invited to select events where priority is given to our members
* we are working on developing more events for backcourts members

Does it provide access/seating advantages for Big Ten Tournament and NCAA Tournament tickets?

Those ticket benefits and priority purchase are run by the university, their rules (like gopher points/score) may impact level of priory

Back court members (what I can afford) seem like second class citizens. Is there a way we can be "full" members and maybe pay/donate a la carte for events beyond what the low level membership provides? The higher levels are a lot of money and there is no way I could make all the events. If there was a mid range that allowed a "buy in" of the few events I could make, it would be more attractive.

Totally understand that there are fewer benefits of the backcourt level of membership, but they also have the most affordable membership fee. It’s our hope that backcourt members join to support the team and attend some of the events that they have priority registration (season tip-off, pep-rally’s and team banquet - not all events happen each season).

We are working on developing different events for backcourt members.

Hahaha this..."hey does anyone have questions? Nevermind I don't care, only pretend to"

Again, sorry for my delay in checking the forum, I manage the social-media accounts with a pace/frequency in my volunteer hours with the organization. I will try to check this thread more frequently/consistently since adding my post.

There are a variety of types of people who are members, sort of like the different types of people who are season ticket-holders. Members showing up at any given pre-game event is also varied as members get +1 guest... sometimes a member brings a spouse, other times they bring their kid(s) and other times they bring a co-worker (again, just like season ticket-holders bring different guests each games)

If I join, would I be able to bring a hooker :confused:

If I join, would I be able to bring a hooker :confused:

If Larry David can take one to the Dodger's game, I'm sure you can take one to a Gopher's game.

It's a good group, but it is like any group. If you sit in the corner and look like you want to be left alone, the polite Minnesotans will leave you alone. But if you are a friendly out-going type of person that enjoys meeting and inter-acting with people you will get people that invite you to join them at a table.
It was always crowded in the Pavilion space and seating was at a premium, so being able to stretch out a bit at the venue we will be using this year at TCF will be nice and most of the tables are bigger so you will almost be forced to sit with someone other than your guest/spouse/hooker.
I like it because it gets me to the games earlier which makes parking easier--the 6pm starts with a 4:30 dinner time make it tough with my hour long drive in, but it is definitely worth it to me.
It's not life-changing money-- try it for a year. If you hate it after a couple of weeks/events, talk to the powers-that-be and they can probably do something about your Dunkers portion. The donation portion you will not get back. Or contact me or Becky at the Dunkers and say you want to try an event or two- you can probably do that for just the price of the meal.

If Larry David can take one to the Dodger's game, I'm sure you can take one to a Gopher's game.

It's a good group, but it is like any group. If you sit in the corner and look like you want to be left alone, the polite Minnesotans will leave you alone. But if you are a friendly out-going type of person that enjoys meeting and inter-acting with people you will get people that invite you to join them at a table.
It was always crowded in the Pavilion space and seating was at a premium, so being able to stretch out a bit at the venue we will be using this year at TCF will be nice and most of the tables are bigger so you will almost be forced to sit with someone other than your guest/spouse/hooker.
I like it because it gets me to the games earlier which makes parking easier--the 6pm starts with a 4:30 dinner time make it tough with my hour long drive in, but it is definitely worth it to me.
It's not life-changing money-- try it for a year. If you hate it after a couple of weeks/events, talk to the powers-that-be and they can probably do something about your Dunkers portion. The donation portion you will not get back. Or contact me or Becky at the Dunkers and say you want to try an event or two- you can probably do that for just the price of the meal.

Thank you so much for your cordial and informative response to my inquiry. I’ve long been interested in expanding my association with Gopher sports, and your descriptive of the Golden Dunkers (you can imagine my immediate interest in the moniker) has intrigued me. As for fitting in with the existing group, although not being effusively friendly, I’m certainly no introvert, and enjoy talking Gopher sports with most everyone. My hooker, on the other hand, I can assure you is a friendly type who enjoys meeting and inter-acting with as many people who would consider same. One quick question: do the early dinners you mentioned include a social hour with beverages available via a cash bar, for example? Thanks again!

Thank you so much for your cordial and informative response to my inquiry. I’ve long been interested in expanding my association with Gopher sports, and your descriptive of the Golden Dunkers (you can imagine my immediate interest in the moniker) has intrigued me. As for fitting in with the existing group, although not being effusively friendly, I’m certainly no introvert, and enjoy talking Gopher sports with most everyone. My hooker, on the other hand, I can assure you is a friendly type who enjoys meeting and inter-acting with as many people who would consider same. One quick question: do the early dinners you mentioned include a social hour with beverages available via a cash bar, for example? Thanks again!

Yes, the events have a cash bar of beer and wine... pop for the kids. If you become a member, be sure to mentioned you’d seen this on the GopherHole and follow our social-media accounts on facebook, instagram, twitter, pinterest and youtube.

Yes, the events have a cash bar of beer and wine... pop for the kids. If you become a member, be sure to mentioned you’d seen this on the GopherHole and follow our social-media accounts on facebook, instagram, twitter, pinterest and youtube.

This is Good to hear. You may have yourself a new member... and some eye candy!

This is a good group, but there's always room for a little more eye candy.

Top Bottom