Reusse: There's good reason for Gophers football's enthusiasm

Not attachment bias?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I was going more literal. And I don't consider psych a medical field, they kind of just do whatever they want most of the time.

Hey gang - the whole point of Reusse's article was about attendance. He starts out by saying they should have good attendance for SDSU.

He is saying that there are real reasons to be optimistic about the Gopher football team, and that should translate into better attendance.

If he's setting up anything, it's this:

if the Gophers are 6-0 or 5-1 midway through the season, and they are still getting 25,000 or 30,000 actual butts in seats at games, then I guarantee you that Reusse will be ripping Gopher fans as frauds. "The fans say give us a winner and we'll show up. Well, they've got a winner, and they're still not showing up." I suspect he might also cast some aspersions at Mr. Coyle's marketing skills.

I was going more literal. And I don't consider psych a medical field, they kind of just do whatever they want most of the time.

I was just digging up a reference to a recent thread...been waiting to say "attachment bias" at the first chance I had.

Hey gang - the whole point of Reusse's article was about attendance. He starts out by saying they should have good attendance for SDSU.

He is saying that there are real reasons to be optimistic about the Gopher football team, and that should translate into better attendance.

if the Gophers are 6-0 or 5-1 midway through the season, and they are still getting 25,000 or 30,000 actual butts in seats at games, then I guarantee you that Reusse will be ripping Gopher fans as frauds. "The fans say give us a winner and we'll show up. Well, they've got a winner, and they're still not showing up." I suspect he might also cast some aspersions at Mr. Coyle's marketing skills.

+27,000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a gopher fan and I don’t think there are more than 30k gopher fans.

Anything over 30k are bandwagon people checking it out or visiting fans. 5-0 will produce a big crowd against Nebraska (will probably be one anyways because buskers travel)

Anything 2 or more losses going into the Maryland game will result in an empty quiet stadium in my
Opinion.

If we have more than 15K in the stands for November games, it’ll be an improvement over 2018. Let’s do it!

Too lazy to look, but have we ever come close to averaging 30 points/game in Big 10 competition? It seems that in the Wacker years we could rack up a ton of yards, sometimes score a lot, and lose often, but I doubt we averaged 30 points per.

Too lazy to look, but have we ever come close to averaging 30 points/game in Big 10 competition? It seems that in the Wacker years we could rack up a ton of yards, sometimes score a lot, and lose often, but I doubt we averaged 30 points per.

Averaged 35.6 pts. over 8 Big Ten games in Mason's 10-3 season (2003). Averaged 38.7 pts/gm overall (7th in the country) that season. Averaged 35.8 overall two years later in a 7-5 season (11th in the country). Averaged 31.9 in the Big Ten that season but had only a 4-4 conference record. Mason had some pretty high scoring teams.

So, there is clear precedent for believing that such a thing can be accomplished by a Gopher team.

Last edited:

Anything over 30k are bandwagon people checking it out or visiting fans. 5-0 will produce a big crowd against Nebraska (will probably be one anyways because buskers travel)

Anything 2 or more losses going into the Maryland game will result in an empty quiet stadium in my
Opinion.

Sadly, this is true. I'm trying to organize a corporate outing for the SDSU game. I'm offering $10 tickets for employees and all family; along with a free tailgate. I've got 6 yes, and 72 no so far. There are so few true fans left.

Averaged 35.6 pts. over 8 Big Ten games in Mason's 10-3 season (2003). Averaged 38.7 pts/gm overall (7th in the country) that season. Averaged 35.8 overall two years later in a 7-5 season (11th in the country). Averaged 31.9 in the Big Ten that season but had only a 4-4 conference record. Mason had some pretty high scoring teams.

So, there is clear precedent for believing that such a thing can be accomplished by a Gopher team.

Thanks, I would not have guessed that. So maybe Reesse's prediction will be correct.

Sadly, this is true. I'm trying to organize a corporate outing for the SDSU game. I'm offering $10 tickets for employees and all family; along with a free tailgate. I've got 6 yes, and 72 no so far. There are so few true fans left.

Maybe it's you and not the gophers. Do you give out that "award" you like to sling around here to your employees too?

Our fan base is odd. A large percentage of this site complain constantly about negativity towards the Gophers. Then, when a positive article is written turn it negative. The “actually want them to fail” is the go to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont know how you fail to grasp this. To be a true fan, you need to expect us to improve, but also be ready to recognize that we have improved regardless of any measurable metric of success. If you dont think we will improve, you are a "fan" because you are too negative. If you post any tangible metric for success, you are a "fan" because you are setting us up for failure.

Opinion.

I guess I see it a little bit differently. Maybe it's just semantics, but.....

I see those 30k fans as the Hard-Core Gopher fan base.

then, there are another 10-15k who I would call casual Gopher fans. they follow the team, and maybe used to go to games, but in recent years they have quit going to games. I would include the people who dropped their season tickets due to the Donation increase in this category.

The visiting fans and bandwagon jumpers I would put in a 3rd category. If all three categories show up, it's a sellout. Or in the Dome Days, the crowds that would go over 50k and approach a sellout.

I think we have about 20,000 dedicate Gopher fans.
There are another 20,000 who are big fans but just prefer to not go to games
There is a fan base of about 200,000 fans who will go to whatever sporting event is hot. Usually they go to Twins games because they have the cheapest tickets and the easiest to just show up at.
This would be the fair weather people.

At the point the Gophers eventually become successful, these will be the people showing up at the Rose Bowl with the team, and on all the TV newscasts with their recently purchased Gopher-hanky expressing what big fans they are and not be able to name 2 players other than the QB or leading WR.

I think we have about 20,000 dedicate Gopher fans.
There are another 20,000 who are big fans but just prefer to not go to games
There is a fan base of about 200,000 fans who will go to whatever sporting event is hot. Usually they go to Twins games because they have the cheapest tickets and the easiest to just show up at.
This would be the fair weather people.

At the point the Gophers eventually become successful, these will be the people showing up at the Rose Bowl with the team, and on all the TV newscasts with their recently purchased Gopher-hanky expressing what big fans they are and not be able to name 2 players other than the QB or leading WR.

I agree with this except that the second group might be bigger. I'm in the second group. Had season tickets from 1998-2010 at which time wife and daughter got bored going to games (and youth sports started interfering). At that time, finding another person in the first group of dedicated fans who wanted to go to games regularly was like finding a unicorn, so the tickets got dropped. In my last year, I couldn't attend the Ohio State game so offered tickets free to co-workers....and no one wanted them. I still know very very few people who've had season tickets for more than a couple years. For now, I'm more than happy watching games on the big screen without the gameday hassle.

To Reusse's point, maybe the ball starts rolling in the other direction starting this year. Things look promising. It'll take multiple years of success to build up the hard-core group of fans though.

It'll take multiple years of success to build up the hard-core group of fans though.

And herein lies the potential problem for non-top 25 type programs: if you do get a coach who starts winning, he gets snatched up and you’re back to square one.

Fleck says he’s in for the long haul. Guess we’ll see.

I'd love to take advantage of that deal. Between the band, the game, the food, and the tailgating, they don't know what they're missing!

I agree with this except that the second group might be bigger. I'm in the second group. Had season tickets from 1998-2010 at which time wife and daughter got bored going to games (and youth sports started interfering). At that time, finding another person in the first group of dedicated fans who wanted to go to games regularly was like finding a unicorn, so the tickets got dropped. In my last year, I couldn't attend the Ohio State game so offered tickets free to co-workers....and no one wanted them. I still know very very few people who've had season tickets for more than a couple years. For now, I'm more than happy watching games on the big screen without the gameday hassle.

To Reusse's point, maybe the ball starts rolling in the other direction starting this year. Things look promising. It'll take multiple years of success to build up the hard-core group of fans though.

I agree with this. I think there's a rather large group of solid Gopher football fans (100-300k+ nationwide) who watch most of the games and consider the Gophers their primary team but either don't live in the MSP area (my excuse) or prefer to/must watch the games at home.

Surely someone has tv viewership numbers to help gauge team interest trends....for the ten thousandth time

Not everyone enjoys sitting hip to hip with strangers, some with periodontal disease or other scents.

Patrick really wants the Gophers to do well.

I've seen people post this over the years. It is absolute hog wash.

Pat is literally on record saying one of the things he enjoys most is watching the Gopher fail and seeing the fans implode.

At one time Pat was probably a Gopher fan.

He isn't now. He has admitted that many times.

Another poster hit the nail on the head. He writes an optimistic outlook prior to the season and then when the Gophers stumble he can pound on them about disappointing everyone.

per Shama:

Star Tribune columnist Patrick Reusse, a persistent critic of Golden Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck since 2017, wrote an upbeat column about the program last weekend. For the many skeptics of Fleck among fans, the article will create more credibility for Fleck and authenticate the program.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Star Tribune columnist Patrick Reusse, a persistent critic of Golden Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck since 2017, wrote an upbeat column about the program last weekend. For the many skeptics of Fleck among fans, the article will create more credibility for Fleck and authenticate the program.

Go Gophers!!

That's gold

Fleck will stay if he's successful here.

Last edited:

NFL has an attendance issue to.
MN doesn't have that issue right now due to the new stadium, but it's a legit issue.
The home experience is better and the Gophers are simply asking for too much $$$.

(Although take it with a grain of salt. I'm the one who says State Fair is expensive as well).

NFL has an attendance issue to.
MN doesn't have that issue right now due to the new stadium, but it's a legit issue.
The home experience is better and the Gophers are simply asking for too much $$$.

(Although take it with a grain of salt. I'm the one who says State Fair is expensive as well).
I haven't been to the State Fair since 1994. I haven't missed a d@mn thing. The Great Minnesota Petri Dish!

per Shama:

Go Gophers!!

Pat will create more credibility? Lol nice one Shama

Top Bottom