Reusse: There's good reason for Gophers football's enthusiasm

MGGopher

Reaction score

Pat's a Gopher fan deep down

30 should be very doable, they averaged 27.4 last year.

Slowly but surely, the Weeble is coming around....

Someone needs to copy/paste that article from that $hit paper. Won’t click on it

This will be his stance until they drop a game then pitchforks and disappointment will come back. Kind of the same as GH

Someone needs to copy/paste that article from that $hit paper. Won’t click on it

The only way to get around the $hithole’s paywall is to set my browser to “private” on my phone.

There's good reason for Gophers football's enthusiasm

The Gophers were scheduled to play South Dakota State in 2015. Norwood Teague, then the Gophers athletic director, followed the admonition of Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany for better nonconference opponents and subbed out the Jackrabbits for a home-and-home series with TCU: at Fort Worth in 2014, and at TCF Bank Stadium in 2015.

Coach Jerry Kill was not enamored with this, but the 2015 season opener on the Thursday before Labor Day weekend produced a record stadium crowd of 54,147. The fans were rabid in trying to help the Gophers to an upset victory over No. 2 TCU.

The Horned Frogs escaped with a 23-17 victory; Kill retired at midseason due to renewed problems with epilepsy; and the Gophers have rarely regained the enthusiasm of Sept. 3, 2015.

South Dakota State gets its chance to play what’s now the traditional Thursday night opener for the Gophers on Aug. 29. Local alums, traveling South Dakotans and ticket distribution to students should allow the Gophers to fill many more seats than was the case for the closing home games vs. Indiana, Purdue and Northwestern in 2018.

This is the third season for the exuberant P.J. Fleck, and sizable optimism is permitted following the late-season thumpings administered to Purdue, Wisconsin and Georgia Tech.

The Gophers caught a bad injury early, when Zack Annexstad — the quarterback with the greater physical gifts — received a foot injury. That leaves Tanner Morgan, the winner of those big games down the stretch, and he has terrific weapons, starting with three No. 1 running backs:

Mohamed Ibrahim (third-year sophomore), Rodney Smith (sixth-year senior) and Shannon Brooks (fifth-year senior).

There are also a pair of Ohio State-level wide receivers in Tyler Johnson and Rashod Bateman. Plus, the line is now an attribute, featuring mammoth right tackle Daniel Faafele, a probable NFL first-rounder when he leaves early.

I don’t see how this offense avoids averaging 30 points in the nine Big Ten games.

When the No. 1 issue is deciding which terrific running back should get the most carries, it’s an offensive show that should be enough to get 40,000 actual bodies back in the stands, rather than half that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Must be April Fools Day. Checking calendar...

The only way to get around the $hithole’s paywall is to set my browser to “private” on my phone.

There's good reason for Gophers football's enthusiasm

The Gophers were scheduled to play South Dakota State in 2015. Norwood Teague, then the Gophers athletic director, followed the admonition of Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany for better nonconference opponents and subbed out the Jackrabbits for a home-and-home series with TCU: at Fort Worth in 2014, and at TCF Bank Stadium in 2015.

Coach Jerry Kill was not enamored with this, but the 2015 season opener on the Thursday before Labor Day weekend produced a record stadium crowd of 54,147. The fans were rabid in trying to help the Gophers to an upset victory over No. 2 TCU.

The Horned Frogs escaped with a 23-17 victory; Kill retired at midseason due to renewed problems with epilepsy; and the Gophers have rarely regained the enthusiasm of Sept. 3, 2015.

South Dakota State gets its chance to play what’s now the traditional Thursday night opener for the Gophers on Aug. 29. Local alums, traveling South Dakotans and ticket distribution to students should allow the Gophers to fill many more seats than was the case for the closing home games vs. Indiana, Purdue and Northwestern in 2018.

This is the third season for the exuberant P.J. Fleck, and sizable optimism is permitted following the late-season thumpings administered to Purdue, Wisconsin and Georgia Tech.

The Gophers caught a bad injury early, when Zack Annexstad — the quarterback with the greater physical gifts — received a foot injury. That leaves Tanner Morgan, the winner of those big games down the stretch, and he has terrific weapons, starting with three No. 1 running backs:

Mohamed Ibrahim (third-year sophomore), Rodney Smith (sixth-year senior) and Shannon Brooks (fifth-year senior).

There are also a pair of Ohio State-level wide receivers in Tyler Johnson and Rashod Bateman. Plus, the line is now an attribute, featuring mammoth right tackle Daniel Faafele, a probable NFL first-rounder when he leaves early.

I don’t see how this offense avoids averaging 30 points in the nine Big Ten games.

When the No. 1 issue is deciding which terrific running back should get the most carries, it’s an offensive show that should be enough to get 40,000 actual bodies back in the stands, rather than half that.

Incognito window in Chrome will get you to any article. Once you read that one, it doesn't let you read more. But just get the url, open an incognito window and paste the url in.

If I read it, I might be stunned. But I’m not.

Incognito window in Chrome will get you to any article. Once you read that one, it doesn't let you read more. But just get the url, open an incognito window and paste the url in.

If I read it in incognito mode, do they still get ad revenue from my viewing it?

Reusse said a few weeks ago that one of his favorite things is to talk optimistically about the Gophers at the start of the season then rip them when they don't reach those heights. If you're looking for a reason to be optimistic this year, look elsewhere. Ignore Reusse.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reusse said a few weeks ago that one of his favorite things is to talk optimistically about the Gophers at the start of the season then rip them when they don't reach those heights. If you're looking for a reason to be optimistic this year, look elsewhere. Ignore Reusse.

Patrick really wants the Gophers to do well. Pat does not like BS and phony stuff, but if PJF gets it going this year he will hand out full credit.

My reading of the article was that Pat was very impressed with the Purdue, Wisconsin and GA Tech wins and the wall of skepticism was broken down.

Those three wins changed it all for me as well, as far as PJF.

Last edited:

Works the same way on my phone. One article is all I can read, unless I close out the private window, and go back in.

Copying and pasting the url is a good idea, as opposed to what I usually do...which is go to the home page and scroll until I find the article I’m looking for.

Our fan base is odd. A large percentage of this site complain constantly about negativity towards the Gophers. Then, when a positive article is written turn it negative. The “actually want them to fail” is the go to.

His job is to get clicks and views. If he thinks an article like this, at this time, does that, then that’s why he wrote it.

Im starting to worry about Pat. Last couple Gopher articles from him have been positive. Something is wrong with him.

Pat's a Gopher fan and always has been. Nothing he wants more than to write positive articles about their success. Problem is, there hasn't been much success to write about the past 30 years and he is painfully honest. That honesty usually comes when we as Gopher fans are hurting the most.

Pat's a Gopher fan and always has been. Nothing he wants more than to write positive articles about their success. Problem is, there hasn't been much success to write about the past 30 years and he is painfully honest. That honesty usually comes when we as Gopher fans are hurting the most.

Like when he named Fleck his Turkey of the Year last season at a time when the Timberwolves and Wild were imploding and the Vikings were headed toward missing the playoffs a season after being in the conference championship game?

Like when he named Fleck his Turkey of the Year last season at a time when the Timberwolves and Wild were imploding and the Vikings were headed toward missing the playoffs a season after being in the conference championship game?

Well ... you look at what the team had done from Maryland to Illinois .... it wasn’t pretty.

Our fan base is odd. A large percentage of this site complain constantly about negativity towards the Gophers. Then, when a positive article is written turn it negative. The “actually want them to fail” is the go to.

I'm only repeating what Reusse himself said on his podcast.

It's an optimistic article, but it's also for some of our fanbase a benchmark setting. So at the end of the season if they go 3-6 / 4-5 in the Big Ten, media can complain about the losing record in the Big Ten and how the team underperformed under the coach. "Before the season, there was so much hope and promise, but they really didn't perform. PJ isn't turning this around."

Hate to project these unusual scenarios, but we've seen it before.

"Some" were starting this last year already when Vic Viramontes wasn't leading us to a Rose Bowl because PJ said good things about Vic on signing day in 2018.

I'm only repeating what Reusse himself said on his podcast.

If Reusse is saying anything positive about the Gophers, you know he's up to something.

Honestly, not a thinner skin bunch than Gopher Fans. GH is exhibit A.

Honestly, not a thinner skin bunch than Gopher Fans. GH is exhibit A.

Says the person who whined and cried their way off of GH for a few months...

Last edited:

It's an optimistic article, but it's also for some of our fanbase a benchmark setting. So at the end of the season if they go 3-6 / 4-5 in the Big Ten, media can complain about the losing record in the Big Ten and how the team underperformed under the coach. "Before the season, there was so much hope and promise, but they really didn't perform. PJ isn't turning this around."

Hate to project these unusual scenarios, but we've seen it before.

"Some" were starting this last year already when Vic Viramontes wasn't leading us to a Rose Bowl because PJ said good things about Vic on signing day in 2018.

You think 3-6 or 4-5 would be progress? With this favorable schedule, five home B1G games, that the Robb Smith experiment cost them several games last year, that they are bringing back most their starters, that they have increased depth and games experience across the team?

Rose Bowl, really? VV was highly touted JUCO get and Fleck got a lot of great press and praise from GHers for getting him to come here.

Top Bottom