Gophers football’s ‘Green Line’ doesn’t follow the straight and narrow

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

What the U doesn’t want is Green to be seen as just a wildcat quarterback, a role he had success in for the first time in 2018.

Minnesota doesn’t want Big Ten teams to easily adjust their defensive schemes to gear up to stop the bruising, downhill rusher, who lost yardage on only one of his 76 rushing attempts a year ago.

They want to steer opponents away from seeing Green’s No. 17 come onto the field and counter with different personnel to better stop the run or shift their alignment by putting another defender in the box.

“All of a sudden,” Fleck outlined, “He is playing quarterback one play and wideout the next play and tight end the next play. It’s hard to be able to say (No.) 17 is in and (go) to our wildcat check. It keeps people honest.”

https://www.brainerddispatch.com/sp...-Line’-doesn’t-follow-the-straight-and-narrow

Go Gophers!!

That's good.

Although as for a career prospects I'm not sure they need to move him a lot. The NFL likes big multi role TE's and Green clearly can do it.

In football, I love all the strategy and deception and misdirection and subterfuge as much as anyone does. But in the specific case of Seth Green running wildcat behind the Gopher's big, powerful offensive line, I have to wonder how necessary it is to fool anyone.

Don't get me wrong; I love the play where Green pretends to plunge forward, then suddenly pops up and flips the ball to a wide open receiver.

But if it's short yardage, and Green is coming right at you, downhill, with Faalele and Co. blocking in front of him... well, yikes.

There's a part of me that loves that it says to the opponent: "Here it comes. See if you can stop it." It has to be demoralizing and intimidating. Football is a physical game, and crushing your opponent physically is awfully effective... if you can do it.

In football, I love all the strategy and deception and misdirection and subterfuge as much as anyone does. But in the specific case of Seth Green running wildcat behind the Gopher's big, powerful offensive line, I have to wonder how necessary it is to fool anyone.

Don't get me wrong; I love the play where Green pretends to plunge forward, then suddenly pops up and flips the ball to a wide open receiver.

But if it's short yardage, and Green is coming right at you, downhill, with Faalele and Co. blocking in front of him... well, yikes.

There's a part of me that loves that it says to the opponent: "Here it comes. See if you can stop it." It has to be demoralizing and intimidating. Football is a physical game, and crushing your opponent physically is awfully effective... if you can do it.

Yeah it also gets the crowd fired up. Everyone likes that sure thing type play.

It's the Leroy Hoard type thing. Everyone likes a guy like that (granted Green is more versatile).

Especially when Faalele is lined up BEHIND Green. You might see an “ole” by the DL.

Top Bottom