Gophers receive a commitment from Orono DE Danny Striggow

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers have received a commitment from Orono defensive end Danny Striggow. He chose Minnesota over offers from Iowa, New Mexico State, North Dakota State, Wyoming and others.

A 6-foot-4, 225-pound defensive end, Striggow is the ninth-ranked prospect in Minnesota for 2020, according to 24/7 Sports.

Striggow is a quick defensive end with excellent size and skills against the run. He has shown he can shed and move across the line of scrimmage to make a stop. Striggow has the length and power to play five-technique and will continue to grow. In the past, he has displayed the ability to use a speed rush, wipe-rip and arm-over moves to get to the quarterback.

It would be interesting to see his athletic testing metrics because his speed and broad jumps are likely in high percentiles. He could be a candidate to stand up occasionally and has experimented at nine-technique before. The athletic traits possessed by Striggow align with the type of defensive line prospects Minnesota has consistently tried to recruit under this staff.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/7619805/5bc8dd2815f5900ac4d56abd' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

He’s a state champion wrestler too.

What’s interesting is 247 doesn’t show that we offered. Was this a last minute offer to fill a spot?

EDIT: Actually we offered in June according to Burns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wow.

I have to say, he looks really quick and aggressive on that highlight video.

Carter Coughlin redux?

Will be better than Witt or Black, but don't worry about it.

He’s a state champion wrestler too.

What’s interesting is 247 doesn’t show that we offered. Was this a last minute offer to fill a spot?

EDIT: Actually we offered in June according to Burns.
I like when they get former wrestlers, they usually have outstanding balance. Welcome aboard!

Must mean the Joe Moore ship has sailed after he delayed his commitment date.

That leaves only one spot left. Joe Moore is scheduled to announce in 9 days.

Not sure about that, I would think they would still take him.

Possibly. I mean they are sitting on 24 commits with Kaden Johnson still to decide. Maybe they tell one of these guys to Maroon shirt (whatever you call it haha) but there’s also the fact that at some point, they’ll have to cut down on handling out scholarships. Like I have no idea how they are going to make it work with the 85 scholarship player roster limit for 2020-21 season. They are well over the limit if they take a full 2020 class.

My B, his announcement date hasn't been updated in 247.

He seems to be all over the map. We were in the lead but he loved his visit to Illinois. He wants to go to ASU for a visit.

He may be one that does not pick a school in the early signing period.

Possibly. I mean they are sitting on 24 commits with Kaden Johnson still to decide. Maybe they tell one of these guys to Maroon shirt (whatever you call it haha) but there’s also the fact that at some point, they’ll have to cut down on handling out scholarships. Like I have no idea how they are going to make it work with the 85 scholarship player roster limit for 2020-21 season. They are well over the limit if they take a full 2020 class.

I believe Fleck will go over 25.

I trust that he'll work it out, because he has too, but man the attrition after this season has to be high.

25 is the limit of schollys per class.

Maroon shirting is a way around that rule, but the recruit has to be willing to PWO the first year, with a soft guarantee after that.

Good get with this football player. He'll be a great one! As to the other issues as to numbers, I'll let Fleck figure all that out. His personal GM I'm sure is guiding him along.

By the way have we ever reached our limit of scholarship commitments this early?

Didn't Coyle recently tell us that Fleck is the master of manipulating roster and scholarship numbers? No doubt Fleck has this program moving ahead faster than many of us expected. Very happy to add this kid. Appears to have a huge upside and the right culture.

Didn't Coyle recently tell us that Fleck is the master of manipulating roster and scholarship numbers? No doubt Fleck has this program moving ahead faster than many of us expected. Very happy to add this kid. Appears to have a huge upside and the right culture.

We are at 24

If anyone thinks we are turning down Kaden Johnson and Joe Moore because we are at 24, well I've got a bridge.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Megan:

The Gophers garnered their 24th commitment in the 2020 class Thursday.

Danny Striggow, a Long Lake native and Orono product, announced his decision on Twitter. The 6-4, 220-pound weak-side defensive end is a three-star recruit, according to 247Sports.com.

He's the third in-state commit in the class after Anoka's Cody Lindenberg and Rosemount's Jonathan Mann.

Fun fact: Striggow won the 220-pound Class 2A state championship in wrestling this past year.

http://www.startribune.com/orono-defensive-end-danny-striggow-commits-to-the-gophers/528626032/

Go Gophers!!

Wut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He means we he thinks we will at one point have over 25 verbal commitments during this recruiting cycle, he doesn't mean we will be signing over 25 players on signing day. Although we would be able to if a few maroon shirt.

The numbers will work themselves out

I believe Fleck will go over 25.

Good get with this football player. He'll be a great one! As to the other issues as to numbers, I'll let Fleck figure all that out. His personal GM I'm sure is guiding him along.

By the way have we ever reached our limit of scholarship commitments this early?

The numbers will work themselves out

It will work out. It is PJ's job, you know.

Last edited:

Top Bottom