Gophers receive a commitment from Orono DE Danny Striggow

We are at 24

If anyone thinks we are turning down Kaden Johnson and Joe Moore because we are at 24, well I've got a bridge.

I’m sure some of the kids who have accepted offers understand that if those two come on board, someone’s offer will unfortunately get pulled. Hard verbal commitments are not binding contracts. It’s just part of the business, like flipping I guess.

It will work out. It is PJ's job, you know.

Yes, I think everybody on GH knows it will work out one way or another.

What people are speculating on is will it all work itself out naturally or will PJ have to make it work (difficult conversations).

Last edited:

Yes, I think everybody on GH knows it will work out one way or another.

What people are speculating on is will it all work itself out naturally or will PJ have to make it work (difficult conversations).

[video]https://www.btn2go.com/video/i-eat-difficult-conversations-for-breakfast[/video]

He means we he thinks we will at one point have over 25 verbal commitments during this recruiting cycle, he doesn't mean we will be signing over 25 players on signing day. Although we would be able to if a few maroon shirt.

Thanks. I don’t think any of the current commits are maroon shirts - Udoibok and Cooper were announced right away last year as such - so I suppose we could go over 25 with some machinations that I’m not clear on (Xfer portal?)

Note: Udoibok autocorrects to audiobook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I don’t think any of the current commits are maroon shirts - Udoibok and Cooper were announced right away last year as such - so I suppose we could go over 25 with some machinations that I’m not clear on (Xfer portal?)

Note: Udoibok autocorrects to audiobook.

Were they? I don't remember Udiobok being considered a maroon shirt when he committed in the summer. I could be wrong though.

He means we he thinks we will at one point have over 25 verbal commitments during this recruiting cycle, he doesn't mean we will be signing over 25 players on signing day. Although we would be able to if a few maroon shirt.

Remember when people on this board went ape-sh!t regularly discussing how the SEC got away with constantly taking over 25 every year?[emoji23][emoji23]

Were they? I don't remember Udiobok being considered a maroon shirt when he committed in the summer. I could be wrong though.

In the media announcements and such, they pretend and treat Maroon Shirts as if they were signing scholarship offers that year. Recall that Zach Annexstad was announced with the signing class a couple years ago, bringing the size of that list to 26, even though the NCAA limit is 25. We figured out later that he was the first such Maroon Shirt (they didn't have the name back then).

It takes advantage of some NCAA rule change/update (or something) whereby you can give PWO a scholarship after their first year, instead of having to wait two years.

So it effectively kills the 25 limit, in the sense of however many kids you can convince to delay their scholarship for a year. There is also a hard cap of 105 on the roster for fall camp. So that has to be kept in mind, along with the usual compliment of regular PWO kids (who don't have the soft guarantee of the Maroon Shirt kids).

In the media announcements and such, they pretend and treat Maroon Shirts as if they were signing scholarship offers that year. Recall that Zach Annexstad was announced with the signing class a couple years ago, bringing the size of that list to 26, even though the NCAA limit is 25. We figured out later that he was the first such Maroon Shirt (they didn't have the name back then).

It takes advantage of some NCAA rule change/update (or something) whereby you can give PWO a scholarship after their first year, instead of having to wait two years.

So it effectively kills the 25 limit, in the sense of however many kids you can convince to delay their scholarship for a year. There is also a hard cap of 105 on the roster for fall camp. So that has to be kept in mind, along with the usual compliment of regular PWO kids (who don't have the soft guarantee of the Maroon Shirt kids).

Interesting. I always thought Annexstad was a traditional PWO, just a very high level one.

It doesn't really kill the 25 limit, as they (blue shirts) get counted against the next year's class limit.

It doesn't really kill the 25 limit, as they (blue shirts) get counted against the next year's class limit.

It’s semantics and playing a game. Your point is good. But ultimately if they lose a couple kids after the first fall, the net effect is just getting the class back up to 25.

Also isn't the scholarship limit 85?

Yes, total schollys 85, with 25 max signed per year. Fall camp roster cap is 105, but it opens up after school starts.

I might’ve been subscribed to 247 when he signed - I believe there was strong conjecture there.

Remember when people on this board went ape-sh!t regularly discussing how the SEC got away with constantly taking over 25 every year?[emoji23][emoji23]

Your point would be a fair one if we were kicking kids to the curb on signing day but we’re not. Being able to navigate the NCAA rules to one’s advantage and dumping on an 18 yo kid at the last minute are obviously completely different things. Nuance.

Your point would be a fair one if we were kicking kids to the curb on signing day but we’re not. Being able to navigate the NCAA rules to one’s advantage and dumping on an 18 yo kid at the last minute are obviously completely different things. Nuance.

I agree we haven’t done nefarious things to date but we haven’t really had to - but this year seems like we will require a significant amount of attrition to get down to 85 scholarship athletes- it’ll be interesting how it’s achieved.

I agree we haven’t done nefarious things to date but we haven’t really had to - but this year seems like we will require a significant amount of attrition to get down to 85 scholarship athletes- it’ll be interesting how it’s achieved.

The coaching staff likely already knows which RS Juniors are getting their degree in Spring 2020. Minnesota has 17 RS Juniors. Some will graduate and leave. Some RS Sophs even get their degrees. Some will enter grad school. The grad school “Juniors and Seniors” don’t count toward the 85. A few kids transfer on their own for personal reasons. A few retire.

Minnesota won’t be kicking anyone to the curb for football reasons, and the 85 will be easily achieved.

Like every year.

Last edited:

Managing scholarship limits and producing and graduating solid people may be not as super difficult as we think the way the Gopher program is being runned.

RS Sophs & RS Juns graduating early or entering grad school can explain why the Gophers can have 24-25 recruits in 2019.

That doesn't include the natural attrition with early retirement due to injury and kids who decide to transfer due to homesickness or other factors like playing time.

Have we ever seen the Gophers Football Program this stable? A team 3.2 GPA is unheard of. They are doing something right by the kids.

Kudos to Minnesota Gophers Athletics in general for taking care of their athletes.

The coaching staff likely already knows which RS Juniors are getting their degree in Spring 2020. Minnesota has 17 RS Juniors. Some will graduate and leave. Some RS Sophs even get their degrees. Some will enter grad school. The grad school “Juniors and Seniors” don’t count toward the 85. A few kids transfer on their own for personal reasons. A few retire.

Minnesota won’t be kicking anyone to the curb for football reasons, and the 85 will be easily achieved.

Like every year.

The grad school juniors or seniors who continue to play football will absolutely count toward the 85 from everything I’ve read in the past.

‘We’re The Team To Watch’: Orono Football’s Danny Striggow Gunning For State Title Before Joining Gophers

Senior Danny Striggow has one thing to work on before he goes to play for P.J. Fleck at University of Minnesota.

“Obviously, I’ve got to get bigger. Defensive ends in college football, a little bit bigger than myself,” Striggow said. “I’ll get there. Just keep doing what I do, play hard.”

In the meantime, head coach Joe McPherson says he helps the whole team “rise up.”

“Having that constant guy out there that’s looking out for the team and getting to the level that he’s at is a lot of fun,” said head coach Joe McPherson.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2019...s-unfinished-business-before-joining-gophers/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom