offseason conversation: adam weber and eric decker.

KD6-3.7

credulous skeptic
Reaction score
saw this video on the gopher youtube feed:

believe me, weber had his issues; but i think a large part of those issues could be attributed to the coaching staff. i think he got footstepitis toward the end of his career with the porous o-line letting big ten rushers through like a sieve. but he could air it out. part of me wonders what could have been if those two had played under a functional coaching staff with a decent o-line.

i remember back in the day i got into an argument with an illini fan about who was the better wr, arrelious benn or eric decker. the illini fan fell back on the old argument that decker was a good possession receiver, but would never have as good of a career as arrellious benn.

When I saw the thread title I formulated a response in my mind. I then opened it and see that your comments are pretty much identical to what I was going to say. It would have been a treat to see these guys work under a stable offensive coaching staff, with a good offensive line. As it was, it was still pretty fun to watch.

That last catch...fearless...still incredible to watch. Textbook targeting penalty in today's CFB.

When I saw the thread title I formulated a response in my mind. I then opened it and see that your comments are pretty much identical to what I was going to say. It would have been a treat to see these guys work under a stable offensive coaching staff, with a good offensive line. As it was, it was still pretty fun to watch.

Totally. I don't think Weber shined as much as he could have because he was QB during the Brewster era. Stability would have gone a long way for him. A big "what if" scenario with him.

That last catch...fearless...still incredible to watch. Textbook targeting penalty in today's CFB.

That is one play I still remember most of all Gopher games I have been to. Not because of the incredible catch or how amazing it was that ED7 hung on to the ball —- but because the doof Cal DB actually stood over Decker after taunting him for the big hit. After giving up a TD!!! Never seen anything so dumb before in a FB game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wondering what Weber and Decker would have been like with pj at the helm? Yes I understand that maybe decker and or Weber wouldn’t have been recruited but if they were it could have been fun to watch

saw this video on the gopher youtube feed:

believe me, weber had his issues; but i think a large part of those issues could be attributed to the coaching staff. i think he got footstepitis toward the end of his career with the porous o-line letting big ten rushers through like a sieve. but he could air it out. part of me wonders what could have been if those two had played under a functional coaching staff with a decent o-line.

i remember back in the day i got into an argument with an illini fan about who was the better wr, arrelious benn or eric decker. the illini fan fell back on the old argument that decker was a good possession receiver, but would never have as good of a career as arrellious benn.

Not sure it was bad coaching so much as system switch. The Brewster system switch hurt Weber and M Gray. I also think the system switch is what caused Brewster to not survive until at least year 5.
Brewster actually made bowl games in 2 of his 3 full seasons. Without the system switch the team would’ve been a lot better offensively in year 4.

Well, I'm the nutcase that thinks Decker could have potentially been a better pro baseball player than football. The dude basically played baseball for the Gophers part-time, and he was still one of the best players on the team.

I think he could have been an all-star caliber outfielder in the major leagues. Less contact, longer career, and potentially more money.

Can't fault the guy for choosing the path he did. but I still wonder what he could have done if he had committed to baseball 100%. Actually, I think I know - he would have been Max Kepler - or a damn good facsimile.

Well, I'm the nutcase that thinks Decker could have potentially been a better pro baseball player than football. The dude basically played baseball for the Gophers part-time, and he was still one of the best players on the team.

I think he could have been an all-star caliber outfielder in the major leagues. Less contact, longer career, and potentially more money.

Can't fault the guy for choosing the path he did. but I still wonder what he could have done if he had committed to baseball 100%. Actually, I think I know - he would have been Max Kepler - or a damn good facsimile.

Yeah but would he have ended up with Jesse James if he chose baseball?

He could have. But he also could’ve ended up in the minor leagues for five ears and flaming out.
Honestly people talk about how more money in baseball...it’s true if you make it. At age 21-22 you know if you’re gonna make it in football. You don’t know in baseball outside of a very small percentage of people. As funny as it sounds the guaranteed money for most guys is in the nfl for the first couple years.

I wanted vikings to draft decker (homer I know)

They got the fearless Toby Gerhart instead, brilliant

I wanted vikings to draft decker (homer I know)

They got the fearless Toby Gerhart instead, brilliant

I still think Toby should’ve won the Heisman. I still think the Vikings shouldn’t have drafted him.

That is one play I still remember most of all Gopher games I have been to. Not because of the incredible catch or how amazing it was that ED7 hung on to the ball —- but because the doof Cal DB actually stood over Decker after taunting him for the big hit. After giving up a TD!!! Never seen anything so dumb before in a FB game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ironically Syd'Quan Thompson was Decker's teamate for a little bit in Denver

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom