STrib: Antoine Winfield Jr. is healthy, ready to make a difference in the secondary

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

Just when it looked like the 87-degree heat zapped their energy last Saturday, the Gophers secondary got a jolt from Antoine Winfield Jr. to finish the afternoon football practice strong.

Winfield lunged to deflect passes. He chased ball carriers. His shoulder pads made a popping sound with contact each time he delivered what would be a menacing hit if this weren’t a non-tackling drill.

When he wasn’t flying around the TCF Bank Stadium field, Winfield pumped up teammates with high-fives and chest bumps. After suffering a season-ending injury each of the past two years, the talented 5-10, 205-pound redshirt sophomore safety is healthy and eager to show he’s still among the Big Ten’s best defensive backs.

“I’m already excited to get back on the field,” said Winfield, whose reps were limited during spring practice. “Being out, it just gives you a different perspective. I’m just super excited to get back out there.”

“If he has a healthy season, he’s going to be a terror in the Big Ten, that’s for sure,” Coughlin said. “All of his injuries are completely healed. He’s 100%. It’s one of those things, those were just situations that he couldn’t control. But he’s healthy now, so nothing’s going to hold him back.”

The U’s secondary is thin on experience. Sophomore Jordan Howden and redshirt junior Calvin Swenson, both former walk-ons, are battling for the other safety spot.

Gophers coach P.J. Fleck presented a challenge to Winfield in his office before fall camp. Beyond staying healthy, the next step for Winfield is to embrace a leadership role.

“He was really excited for camp, especially after the last two years chomping at the bit to get back in there,” Fleck said.

“We need someone to take over that secondary. It’s hard to do that when you were hurt. He knew that. But I can’t wait for him to come out of his shell even more and lead the secondary. I know he can do that. We know what he can do physically.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...make-a-difference-in-the-secondary/524286191/

Go Gophers!!

He'll be a great leader on the field to get everyone to do the little things to make things happen. Football is a team game. Can't do it alone.

I think AWjr will have some solid players surrounding him this season. The 2 CB spots look solid (especially compared to 2017) with a legit 2 deep. Nickel back came on in Williamson last year. Really the only big question mark is the starting safety next to Winfield but I know I'm hoping Sapp and Nubin step up and one of them takes hold in camp and non-conference.

I think AWjr will have some solid players surrounding him this season. The 2 CB spots look solid (especially compared to 2017) with a legit 2 deep. Nickel back came on in Williamson last year. Really the only big question mark is the starting safety next to Winfield but I know I'm hoping Sapp and Nubin step up and one of them takes hold in camp and non-conference.

I'd be pretty surprised if Howden isn't starting alongside Winfield. The bigger question is depth. Will Calvin Swenson or Sapp be good enough if Winfield or Howden goes down? Thats where it would have been nice to keep Gervarrius Owens.

Really the only big question mark is the starting safety next to Winfield but I know I'm hoping Sapp and Nubin step up and one of them takes hold in camp and non-conference.

100%.

Nothing against Howden or Swenson, but they're both pretty limited. It'd be awesome if Nubin or Sapp can claim that spot.

100%.

Nothing against Howden or Swenson, but they're both pretty limited. It'd be awesome if Nubin or Sapp can claim that spot.

I'll disagree on Howden. One thing I was impressed by was his speed last season. He really struggled at times until they made the coordinator change, then he was much better. I think Howden will end up having a pretty good career here.

Thankfully we don’t play Maryland until late October

giphy.gif

Thankfully we don’t play Maryland until late October

Call me superstitious, but if it's looking like we can handle maryland without him, just keep him on the sidelines....

I'll disagree on Howden. One thing I was impressed by was his speed last season. He really struggled at times until they made the coordinator change, then he was much better. I think Howden will end up having a pretty good career here.

I thought Howden improved as the season went on, but he's just nowhere near the athlete tha Nubin and Sapp were recruited as.

Is there any chance that AWjr ends up returning punts at any time during this season? What he did last year on the couple of punts he was able to return was magical. Not taking away anything from Douglas, who returned the punt for a TD against Wisconsin, but AWjr is electric in the return game. Just stay healthy Antoine!

Is there any chance that AWjr ends up returning punts at any time during this season? What he did last year on the couple of punts he was able to return was magical. Not taking away anything from Douglas, who returned the punt for a TD against Wisconsin, but AWjr is electric in the return game. Just stay healthy Antoine!
He has been returning punts in practice.

Don’t understand this logic.
Maybe Florida State should’ve have had D Sanders return punts.
Maybe Desmond Howard and Reggie bush shouldn’t have.

Put your best players back. If you are worried about injury, you’re in the wrong sport. Our biggest injury of the year so far was non-contact.

I would work him in there a little bit but would have Douglas do most of the returns, especially in games that aren't very close.

Don’t understand this logic.
Maybe Florida State should’ve have had D Sanders return punts.
Maybe Desmond Howard and Reggie bush shouldn’t have.

Put your best players back. If you are worried about injury, you’re in the wrong sport. Our biggest injury of the year so far was non-contact.

Agree. Unless those best players have chronic injury issues. Then I feel like returning punts is asking for trouble.

Agree. Unless those best players have chronic injury issues. Then I feel like returning punts is asking for trouble.
And if you severely lack depth at that position.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom