All Things Gophers Summer Trip to Italy Thread

Tre Williams looking like a freshman playing defense. 41-35 Italy.

The refs are dressed like they're counselors at a summer church camp.

Is that #33 who got fouled on that dunk attempt? I don't have a #33 on the roster I'm looking at. Perhaps Freeman? There are a lot of new faces.

43-40 Italy. We're still a hideous free throw shooting team.

Halftime. 43-40 Italy. Gopher defense picked up the intensity the second quarter.

Just turned it off. Obviously a lot can change, but at first glance this does not look like an NCAA tournament team, much less a BIG contender. Maybe a mixture of nerves, new chemistry and being on a vacation tour but I am not encouraged.

It’s a bit ridiculous to make this assumption less than one half into their first game as a unit. Defense improved down the stretch, and Carr is looking like everything I hoped. I saw other things that I liked but I honestly can’t tell who most of the players are.

I'm also not sure who #20 is. Is that Ihnen? That's a crazy high arc he has on his shots. He looked pretty jittery, whoever that was.

Down three at the half. Not an impressive first half at all. They shot terrible. Italy made everything early and we gave them open threes. Freeman came in and missed a dunk but got the free throws rebounded hard and played good defense. Everyone is playing minutes. Greenlee looks solid on the defensive end and is a secure handler. Ihnen had looks and missed them. Gabe didn't get any looks that I saw. Oturu looks great. Overall bad performance so far maybe the second half is better and some shots will fall.

Just from my one quarter or so of watching:

Impressed: Carr, Willis
Meh: Demir, all the freshmen

It’s a bit ridiculous to make this assumption less than one half into their first game as a unit. Defense improved down the stretch, and Carr is looking like everything I hoped. I saw other things that I liked but I honestly can’t tell who most of the players are.

It is a bit ridiculous for sure but that is my pessimistic gopher brain kicking in lol. I anticipate better chemistry going forward.

I could see Carr being the second or third leading rebounder on the team this season.

Not a smooth beginning to the third quarter. Down 50-42.

Like I've always said, I love Demir - nice rebound and put back for two.

Carr is really good at the dribble drive into the lane. That just feels good to have someone like that.

The Italians don't miss free throws...

Any chance we could try grannies at the free throw line?

We're not hesitant about taking threes. We're very hesitant about making them. 59-49 Italy.

As soon as I said that, someone made a three while I was typing. Don't know who.

5 can’t seem to make a free throw. Oturu with a 3.

Omersa rising up for a tip in and a foul.

Am I typing too much?

Tre Williams is aggressive and not shy. We'll see if the production can match the attitude.

It's suddenly raining threes. What do I know? Demir just cashed one.

Top Bottom