All Things Gophers Summer Trip to Italy Thread

Willis for three after an Oturu offensive rebound. 80-75, 1:28 to go.

If you watch the rest of the game Hurt has moved the ball well, screened and played D. Nobody is hitting shots well so he is with the team on that

Greenlee and Willis are pleasant surprises. Liking our guard game.

That running left handed hook shot attempt by the Bob Cousy lookalike was funny.

Where is Greenlee from?

If you watch the rest of the game Hurt has moved the ball well, screened and played D. Nobody is hitting shots well so he is with the team on that

Those productive traits will get him a solid 5 minutes a game maybe. Same as 2018-2019.

It's over. 84-79 Gophers. I better go back to work.

Like a nerd I watched.

The bad: not sure which was worse, free throw shooting or defense. The defense is somewhat excusable but at one point I swear I counted at least a dozen missed free throws. Probably was more.

The fun:
- Willis is good. Made shots, good with the ball.
- Greenlee was an unknown, now not so much. He has a good handle, plays hard, made some shots, didn't look out of place at all.
- Demir is cool to watch. Savvy veteran.
- Pitino got a T when I was watching. Hilarious.
- Williams is athletic and not afraid.

Willis is going to start for this team.

Looks like Carr, Kalschuer, Willis, Oturu, and Demir.

Omersa first off the bench with Williams and Greenlee next, I hope Ihnen will improve and Curry gets healthy enough for a few minutes. obvious they are going to need productive minutes from Hurt, he was not great today though.

It was ugly, but sometimes that's the game that the other team and the refs give you. I was very impressed with Willis.

In this game both Greenlee and Willis have been better than Carr.

I just caught the last few minutes of the third quarter and the whole fourth quarter. Was Greenlee the one playing point during the latter minutes of the 3rd quarter? If so, I agree he looked better than Carr who I'm assuming was the point in the 4th quarter. I was hoping Pitino would put the 3rd quarter point back in game in the 4th. Willis did look pretty good.

Demir was fair and Omersa definitely was active when he was in, but this team doesn't have much inside after Daniel.

Crap I just learned this was going on. Anyway to get the stream on replay?

It was fun to get a little taste. Reasonable free throw shooting and they would have won by 15. I'd hazard a guess that FTs were in the 12-30 range, maybe even worse, or so it seemed. They also shot the ball horribly until the latter part of the game- so it will be interesting to see the stats. Everyone that was on the floor showed potential but as a group, it was really rough. Freeman is going to be a beast in a year or two as is Ihnen. The future is really good but this year will require patience. Carr is a player, but I don't love his shot, there is so much motion to it, the stroke isn't compact and I'm guessing he will be hot and cold. Look out when he is hot because he appears not to have a conscience. :) Willis was a pleasant surprise as was Greenlee. Williams looks athletic but I need to see more. Demir was about as suspected- pretty decent add for the team.

It was fun to get a little taste. Reasonable free throw shooting and they would have won by 15. I'd hazard a guess that FTs were in the 12-30 range, maybe even worse, or so it seemed. They also shot the ball horribly until the latter part of the game- so it will be interesting to see the stats. Everyone that was on the floor showed potential but as a group, it was really rough. Freeman is going to be a beast in a year or two as is Ihnen. The future is really good but this year will require patience. Carr is a player, but I don't love his shot, there is so much motion to it, the stroke isn't compact and I'm guessing he will be hot and cold. Look out when he is hot because he appears not to have a conscience. :) Willis was a pleasant surprise as was Greenlee. Williams looks athletic but I need to see more. Demir was about as suspected- pretty decent add for the team.

Thanks for the recap, bga. I had the lowest expectations for Willis and Greenlee this season so it's nice to see that they can hopefully contribute to a certain extent right away.

That was pretty clear, they will win some games that will surprise everyone and get blown out when people expect a win, Coffey's experience would have made a huge difference to this team.

Thank you, everyone, for your summaries and play-by-play. It doesn't surprise me that so many new players, in their first ever game together, struggled with chemistry. I am so glad this is the year we get to travel and play before the season. These games will really help players get comfortable with what each other's tendencies are.
This is going to be an interesting ride this season.

https://gophersports.com/documents/2019/8/6//Italy_Game_1_Box.pdf

Spoke too soon I guess, try this link for box score

Not sure how accurate it is, from first glance the minutes played seems way off from what I have seen and read but not totally sure

Seems about right, Kalschuer and Carr couldn't buy a basket but they will be two of the leading scorers as the season progresses, Willis keeps playing like that and they will have three legit scorers at guard.

I am really starting to like the starting lineup of Carr, Kalscheur, Willis, Demir and Oturu. Should be really solid once they get rolling and we actually have some viable options off the bench this year. If they actually had knocked down open shots, finished around the basket, and made free throws probably wouldve ended up with 110 pts this game.

Yes, thanks for all the updates. Season cant get here soon enough.

https://gophersports.com/documents/2019/8/6//Italy_Game_1_Box.pdf

Spoke too soon I guess, try this link for box score

Not sure how accurate it is, from first glance the minutes played seems way off from what I have seen and read but not totally sure

The minutes are way off. Freeman played about 8 and Ihnen maybe 10 or so. Hurt played less than that (maybe 20) but Omersa played more (at least 15). The free throws seem right - an atrocious 14-33 and 3 pointers 10-36, ouch.

Think I saw a tweet somewhere the Ihnen was hobbled by an ankle(?) problem, so if so I'm not surprised to see his production was low this game.

Top Bottom