All Things Gophers Summer Trip to Italy Thread

Thoughts on the game.
Guards: Greenlee is a player good on ball defender, good handle, competent on offense, he will get at least ten minutes a game. Carr, my theory on him is since it's been 1.5 years since he's played in a game setting, I think he was little to amped and rushed alot, I think he will look much better once he relaxes a but and gets under control. The free throw shooting needs to get better as he will be there alot. At times it was so bad I thought he was missing on purpose because he knew Demir would get the board, encouraged by his rebounding though. Gabe was Gabe, shots weren't falling, but not too worried. Willis looked great, calm, cool collective, smooth stroke. Loved Williams aggression. On the wing, Hurt is Hurt, bad things don't happen when he's out for his 8-12 minutes, Inhan looked like a deer in the headlights today. Up front Demir looked like a crafty vet, did well on the glass. Omersa was flying up and down the court, Freeman is a beast, but I think he could use a red shirt year. Thought Oturu had a tough day, but the other team was keying on him, nice three pointer though.
Overall the offense was fine, shots just weren't falling. Defense, individually they all can do it just fine, but as a unit they need alot of work. Free throws were brutal, while the Italians made all of there's. If we were competent at the line, we win by 15 plus.
It's hard to say how good of a team they played, sounds like Stella has 50 plus guys in their academy, so for all we know it could've been a different team than the one that played Nebraska, or the same, or something in between who knows.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

As others have said, the minutes played in the linked box score are way off.

Thanks everyone for the play-by-play and thoughts for those of us that didn't see the game. I definitely agree with MennoSota that this is a very good year to take the international trip. Hopefully it will help speed up the learning process and chemistry building a bit for all of the new faces and contributors on the team this year.

Glad Nebraska without their top cam Mack recruit softened them up for pitino

I think Hurt looks solid. Must be watching a different game.

I'm going to counter that with a quote from the legendary Dean Smith when reflecting back on his career with his characteristic modesty:

"I would call a timeout and diagram a play, Now, whether the ball goes in or not, well, that's where recruiting comes in."

No matter how "solid" Hurt plays, you would likely lose every game with a team full of players like Michael Hurt. That's because 1) Hurt doesn't have much talent and 2) plays like a man who believes that he is the least talented player on the floor. Trying to follow the fundamentals and the instructions of the coach isn't enough to make a player "good."

Is their trip game schedule posted somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is their trip game schedule posted somewhere?

I've only seen it casually mentioned through different stories and quotes, next game is tomorrow but not sure on time, sure their twitter or facebook accounts will post something and hopefully another live stream link

Glad Nebraska without their top cam Mack recruit softened them up for pitino
You sure it was the same guys? The program has 50 different players from all over and in talking to a couple Nebraska fans some of the guys they were describing as their better players against Nebraska I didn't even see on the floor yesterday.

I'm going to counter that with a quote from the legendary Dean Smith when reflecting back on his career with his characteristic modesty:

"I would call a timeout and diagram a play, Now, whether the ball goes in or not, well, that's where recruiting comes in."

No matter how "solid" Hurt plays, you would likely lose every game with a team full of players like Michael Hurt. That's because 1) Hurt doesn't have much talent and 2) plays like a man who believes that he is the least talented player on the floor. Trying to follow the fundamentals and the instructions of the coach isn't enough to make a player "good."
I wouldn't call Hurt good either, but I also don't get nurvous when he's in for his sevenish minutes a game. We'd also lost with a team full of Jordan Murphy's because our ball handling and outside shooting would be atrocious. Team game, gotta put guys in situations to succeed based on their skillset.

I wouldn't call Hurt good either, but I also don't get nurvous when he's in for his sevenish minutes a game. We'd also lost with a team full of Jordan Murphy's because our ball handling and outside shooting would be atrocious. Team game, gotta put guys in situations to succeed based on their skillset.

Fair enough. I suspect that if he needs to play only "sevenish minutes a game" the roster should be in pretty good shape.

Fair enough. I suspect that if he needs to play only "sevenish minutes a game" the roster should be in pretty good shape.
Agreed, if his minutes double, it's either because of injured, or all three of Omersa, Demir and Inhan are duds. If the latter, squads in trouble

Hurt averaged almost 8 minutes last year. I don't think it is a problem if he gets 10-12 mpg this year. If he gets more then we probably have issues, unless it is because his 3 point shot is suddenly being taken with confidence and going in.

Shots must be going in today for the Gophers....31-11 Gophs at the end of Quarter 1. @gopherMBB is giving updates

Omersa 9 points, Oturu 8 pts 4 boards, Demir 5 boards. From the picture, it looks like Pitino started Omersa (he is pictured winning the tip)

66-34 now after Freeman layup. Sounds like the reserves are getting some run in this one.

108-68 final. Box score will be interesting.

Has any other CBB team played this same team recently so we can compare scores?

Has any other CBB team played this same team recently so we can compare scores?

It appears that we could have won by 60 so I doubt it matters. The Gophers were ahead by over 40 after three quarters and must have coasted the 4th. I looked at Nebraska and Illinois and neither played this outfit.

Outside of the fact that it is fun to see Ihnen and Williams each score 19....in a game like that, the little things by the young guys are the most interesting- steals, assists, turnovers.

Williams was also really active on the boards with 8 along with a couple assists and steal ...but 3 turnovers
Ihnen 4 boards, 2 assists, 3 steals and a block-- no turnovers
Freeman 6 boards, 6 points

Top Bottom