STrib: Why does everyone hate Edina?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Reinan:

This is the story of a lovely place, where green grass grows and sparkling water flows.

Where the children are sturdy and smart, the stores are bustling and the government is scandal-free.

And the rest of us can’t stand it.

For this edition of Curious Minnesota, we’re answering the reader question, “Why does everyone love to hate Edina?”

“It’s a thing,” said Dominika Bielawski of Minneapolis of the sentiment that goes back decades. “Overly bougie people who want a white picket fence and a cookie-cutter life, everything served on a silver platter.”

Julie Barton of Minneapolis loves 50th & France and Southdale, Edina’s prime shopping destinations.

But “you gotta have a bad guy,” she said. “It’s easy to be against Edina because they are good: at sports, at money, at keeping things the way they want it.”

Edina hatred has spread far beyond the Twin Cities. Consider the original “Mighty Ducks” movie, when a rag-tag group of youth hockey players from District 5 (read: Minneapolis) is joined by a transfer from Edina. They initially scorn him as a “cake eater” – a spoiled rich kid -- before coming to accept him.

Go to the Urban Dictionary, perhaps the Internet’s No. 1 destination for an unfiltered look at what people really mean when they talk.

The top definition for “cake eater” — ahead of even Marie Antoinette — describes Edina.

Edina is wealthy, but not the wealthiest town in the Twin Cities. Woodbury, Chanhassen, Eden Prairie and Maple Grove, among others, all have higher median household incomes.

Edina’s schools are excellent, but U.S. News & World Report ranks Edina High School at No. 10 in the state. Mounds View, Eagan, Wayzata and Eastview in Apple Valley all are ranked higher.

So why the hate?

http://www.startribune.com/why-do-minnesotans-love-to-hate-edina/512909191/

Go Gophers!!

Let them eat cake.

I have no idea what it's like lately, so someone else would have to comment on that.

I know that generally in the late 80's, and through the 90's, I never ran into one single person from Edina that wasn't a stuck up snob/pr*ck, full of themselves, and full of being from Edina. It was pretty amazing how universal it is. My best friend married a miserable b*tch from Edina and she's STILL full of being from Edina.

I have no idea what it's like lately, so someone else would have to comment on that.

I know that generally in the late 80's, and through the 90's, I never ran into one single person from Edina that wasn't a stuck up snob/pr*ck, full of themselves, and full of being from Edina. It was pretty amazing how universal it is. My best friend married a miserable b*tch from Edina and she's STILL full of being from Edina.

That's why everyone still hates them. At high school sporting events they used to chant "It's alright. It's ok. You'll work for us someday" when Edina would lose, especially in hockey. F*ck those people.

That's why everyone still hates them. At high school sporting events they used to chant "It's alright. It's ok. You'll work for us someday" when Edina would lose, especially in hockey. F*ck those people.

Sounds like a pipeline to the Carlson School of ******bags

Top Bottom