All Things 2019 Gophers Fall Camp Thread

I think it's a great comp in style (obviously, as you pointed out, not saying Mo is in the same class as Emmitt Smith).

They both were not huge guys that looked miserable to tackle.

I agree with everything you said.

As excited as I am to have Rodney and Shannon (hopefully) back, it's going to be hard to keep Mo off the field.

Yep, I even pulled up some Emmitt Smith college highlights to confirm what I was thinking. I think Emmitt was a little more elusive, but Mo is more physical. He will lower his shoulder and run people over. They both hit the hole quick (no dancing around) and are very slippery, which means they don’t need much of a crease. Neither will dazzle you, but both have great balance and fight hard for extra yardage on every run. A extra yard or 3 here and there adds up.

Look at this gem I found on Emmitt’s Wiki page.

“Despite his accomplishments and accolades, some college recruiting analysts opined that he was too small and too slow to succeed in major college football when he signed to play for the University of Florida.Recruiting expert Max Emfinger said of Smith, "Emmitt Smith is a lugger, not a runner. He's not fast. He can't get around the corner. When he falls flat on his face, remember where you heard it first."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Recruiting expert Max Emfinger said of Smith, "Emmitt Smith is a lugger, not a runner. He's not fast. He can't get around the corner. When he falls flat on his face, remember where you heard it first."

Oops. That’s one of the things that makes college football so great. It’s not the norm, but seeing these guys that everyone has counted out go on to have terrific careers. You don’t really see that in basketball. At least I can’t think of any examples off the top of my head.

Oops. That’s one of the things that makes college football so great. It’s not the norm, but seeing these guys that everyone has counted out go on to have terrific careers. You don’t really see that in basketball. At least I can’t think of any examples off the top of my head.

Yeah, feels like the opposite happens more often in CBB, can't miss high school stud completely underwhelms in college.

Because of fumbling issues, I can see. Let’s hear your explanation otherwise...

The fact that he can never stay on the field is fairly important in my rankings. The ability to play in football games increases your value as a football player exponentially

If you look at this years NBA draft there were quite a few 1st round picks that weren't super highly rated out of high school. This may have just been a strange year though.

Ja Morant, Jarrett Culver, Jaxson Hayes, Rui Hachimura, Cameron Johnson, Mattise Thybulle, Brandon Clarke, Dylan Windler, Mfiondu Kabengele were all ranked outside the top 100 prospects in their classes by 247.

https://247sports.com/Article/2019...-picks-ranked-high-school-recruits-133049560/

The fact that he can never stay on the field is fairly important in my rankings. The ability to play in football games increases your value as a football player exponentially

Oh, right. So you’re going on record Mo or Rodney won’t suffer another injury. Solid.

Oh, right. So you’re going on record Mo or Rodney won’t suffer another injury. Solid.

Nope, I am on record observing that they have played at least one complete season in their career though.
Smith has 3 seasons over 150 carries and 2 over 200 (both seasons over 250 touches if you include returns and catches I think)
Mo is 1 for 1 going over 200 carries. He was banged up for a couple of weeks but still managed to carry a heavy workload.

Brooks has never had a season over 140 carries. He has never had a season above 150 touches. Part of that is splitting time, yet Smith managed to get his in that same timeframe.

The last two seasons Brooks has managed to appear in 8 games and touch the ball less than 100 times. In 2016 I would’ve probably said Brooks was the best of the 3.

If brooks can stay/be healthy he might be the best.
I wouldn’t bet on it. He hasn’t been able to since Ibrahim was 15

Happens constantly everywhere all the time, look at Benjamin St-Juste...and...Benjamin St-Juste...and Benjamin St-Juste.

Right. Only one ever. Nailed it.
Wanna bet our 85 limit will work out next year? Funny how we already know that 1-week into Fall camp for this year.

Right. Only one ever. Nailed it.
Wanna bet our 85 limit will work out next year? Funny how we already know that 1-week into Fall camp for this year.

I'll bet we don't hear anything from those that leave about being forced out.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Looking forward to any observations from people that attended tonight. Thanjs

Of course not- they don’t wanna be blackballed from other potential opportunities.

Practice observations

In Tanner We Trust. He looked sharp. TJ completely torched Winfield in 1-on-1 drills but Winfield paid him back by intercepting a 50/50 long throw to him in scrimmage. St Juste took a lot of snaps with the defense #1s. Defense played very spirited in the scrimmages and I would say they got the better of the offense. Devers looked great in the scrimmages, at least two called sacks and a hurry. So quick around the outside and he had a great inside move and a direct path to the QB for one of his sacks.

Smith did all the RB drills but did not take a single snap in the scrimmages. Mo in mid-season form.

defense looked fantastic. offence needs some work before the season starts.

Who was playing LT with the 1s? I am starting to get pretty worried about the position, especially if we are experimenting with defensive linemen at OT.

Who was playing LT with the 1s? I am starting to get pretty worried about the position, especially if we are experimenting with defensive linemen at OT.

I wasn't there last night, but last Saturday Schlueter was with the 1s and Dickson was with the 2s.

Excuse the pun, but why rock the boat?? Especially if coach has it rigged up so that you get to keep an academic scholarship for the rest of your time at school. Doesn’t really get much better than that ... free Big Ten education, for agreeing to NOT play football anymore.

Practice observations

In Tanner We Trust. He looked sharp. TJ completely torched Winfield in 1-on-1 drills but Winfield paid him back by intercepting a 50/50 long throw to him in scrimmage. St Juste took a lot of snaps with the defense #1s. Defense played very spirited in the scrimmages and I would say they got the better of the offense. Devers looked great in the scrimmages, at least two called sacks and a hurry. So quick around the outside and he had a great inside move and a direct path to the QB for one of his sacks.

Smith did all the RB drills but did not take a single snap in the scrimmages. Mo in mid-season form.

Devers is still on the team?? I remember those crazy sacks against Oregon St and Colorado St, what like eight years ago?? Hasn’t done a thing since.

(Yes, this is personal bulletin board material for him. Hope it motivates him to have a great year! Good on him for sticking with it!)

I wasn't there last night, but last Saturday Schlueter was with the 1s and Dickson was with the 2s.

Boy I really hope Schlueter has improved his technique then. Every time I’ve watched him, DL either go around him or toss him around. Not sure if too high center of gravity or what. He got replaced in the middle of the Iowa game last year, by a true freshman, because the (admittedly stud, NFL draft pick) Iowa DE was embarrassing him.

Not gonna lie, I was hoping for Dickson to come in and own the starting LT spot. Then Andries could stay inside. But if we need Andries to play LT, so be it. Slide Olson to LG and put JMS at center. When you play 40 fronts, usually the center has the “easiest” job in pass pro. Not always, but usually. So I’d feel fine with JMS at center. We’ll see what the actual professional coaches think, not a couch potato like me!

Top Bottom