All Things 2019 Gophers Fall Camp Thread

Put a on @Coach_Fleck, and you get fireworks. Let the @GopherFootball head coach take you through an ELITE practice: pic.twitter.com/D6yFenH0us— Minnesota on BTN (@MinnesotaOnBTN) August 18, 2019

Now we know Austin Winfield weighs 173. He’s about Antoine Sr’s size. Nice to see he put on some weight. Hopefully, he’ll grow an inch or two.

Also...I just watched his highlights on 247. He plays like his dad too. Good open field tackler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

I've heard the BTN give praise to the defensive line. Recently, PJ went out of his way to say he likes what he sees.
Going into the year, I was skeptical of this unit. I thought O.J. was good when he played. Losing him hurt.
So, what's the skinny? Is Dew-Treadway tearing it up? Did others just progess a lot? A freshman in the mix?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've heard the BTN give praise to the defensive line. Recently, PJ went out of his way to say he likes what he sees.
Going into the year, I was skeptical of this unit. I thought O.J. was good when he played. Losing him hurt.
So, what's the skinny? Is Dew-Treadway tearing it up? Did others just progess a lot? A freshman in the mix?

Sounds like Jim Panagos is a great coach, for starters.

Grow a beard Conner! Some grizzle on that face will add a good 20-30 years, and give you some bark on the field. :cool:

Fleck was just on KFAN. He didn’t come out and name a backup QB, but I got the impression Cole is in the lead.

Apparently this Schad kid is the real deal.

per Megan:

A grateful team

Besides the fair, the Gophers have embarked on several team outings during training camp. They went to a Twins game, a Loons game, a lake day at Fleck’s house, Topgolf, WhirlyBall and laser tag, even a private movie screening of the newest “The Fast and the Furious” installment.

“We run a very unique training camp,” Fleck said. “We do a lot of things with our players. Instead of that three-hour window [where] they can nap, at times we take them somewhere. We go do some team activity, and we connect them, and we force them to get around each other and get to talk to each other, get to know each other. And the amount of thank yous we get this year for that is unlike any other year.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...-yet-ready-to-name-starting-kicker/557940762/

Go Gophers!!

On the PJ Fleck show, he said he plans to rotate a lot of players in at certain positions, to keep them fresh. He specifically mentioned running backs, corners and D-line, but I’m guessing it applies to other positions, as well. He said this is the first year he’s had the depth at these positions to give him that flexibility.

Last edited:

Apparently this Schad kid is the real deal.

A JUCO transfer with offers from Georgia, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Virginia Tech, and West Virginia. Sounds promising!

Last edited:

On the PJ Fleck show, he said he plans to rotate a lot of players in any certain positions, to keep them fresh. He specifically mentioned running backs, corners and D-line, but I’m guessing it applies to other positions, as well. He said this is the first year he’s had the depth at these positions to give him that flexibility.

Rotating corners always worries me, but it’s exciting to hear that we’re deep at D-line. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but we haven’t had much in the way of d-line talent in the last 30 years. Sure we’ve had the odd player like Lamanzer Williams, Karon Riley, Hageman or Stove, but not a lot of depth of talent.

Rotating corners always worries me, but it’s exciting to hear that we’re deep at D-line. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but we haven’t had much in the way of d-line talent in the last 30 years. Sure we’ve had the odd player like Lamanzer Williams, Karon Riley, Hageman or Stove, but not a lot of depth of talent.

I’m not crazy about rotating corners either. He rattled off a bunch of names, and said there’s no drop off, so I guess he wants to give them playing time? Sounds like Durr and Thomas are the starters, but we’ll see.

Too many good players at these positions is a good problem to have.

This defensive line should get to the qb. We have not had that in decades.

Imagine if we can actually pressure the qb.

I think this is the key to a great season.

Glen Mason was asked to “build a defense” from the entire Big Ten. Winfield was his pick at Safety. Coughlin wasn’t one his picks, but got a mention.

Glen Mason was asked to “build a defense” from the entire Big Ten. Winfield was his pick at Safety. Coughlin wasn’t one his picks, but got a mention.

Big Ten is loaded at DE, guessing he went with Epenesa at Iowa?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

This defensive line should get to the qb. We have not had that in decades.

Imagine if we can actually pressure the qb.

I think this is the key to a great season.

Outside of CC what is your prediction based on? Lots of hype for the DL but I’m reserving judgement until we see it in a game (and not to sound too much like my favorite, Wren) and I mean a BIG game. We got minimal sack production from our DE across from CC and our DTs- who have never started or gotten a majority of snaps. I hope you’re right though!

Outside of CC what is your prediction based on? Lots of hype for the DL but I’m reserving judgement until we see it in a game (and not to sound too much like my favorite, Wren) and I mean a BIG game. We got minimal sack production from our DE across from CC and our DTs- who have never started or gotten a majority of snaps. I hope you’re right though!

I get your point, but I will say there has been a lot of steam coming from camp on the DL. Media, BTN, and coaches. PJ is typically being straight forward when praising specific players. I am much more optimistic about the DL than I was 1-month ago. Time will tell tho.

I am hopeful that Mafe, Ottomewo and Devers will be able to get to the QB due to Panagos and his hand fighting techniques he's shown them but I definitely understand your reserve for judgement.

I definitely wouldn't say that it will be the best pass rushing D-line we've had in decades or anything. I don't even know it if will be better than the 2013 line with Hageman, Cochran, Botticelli, Roland Johnson, Amaefula and the Ekpe brothers.

I am hopeful that Mafe, Ottomewo and Devers will be able to get to the QB due to Panagos and his hand fighting techniques he's shown them but I definitely understand your reserve for judgement.

I definitely wouldn't say that it will be the best pass rushing D-line we've had in decades or anything. I don't even know it if will be better than the 2013 line with Hageman, Cochran, Botticelli, Roland Johnson, Amaefula and the Ekpe brothers.

I agree with what you said and will add that Fleck made the DLine a point of emphasis this off-season. Thus far he has a pretty good track record improving position groups that he has made a point of emphasis.

We have also heard observations from spring practice and BTN analysis that has been complementary of the DLine, but I put less stock in that.

I get your point, but I will say there has been a lot of steam coming from camp on the DL. Media, BTN, and coaches. PJ is typically being straight forward when praising specific players. I am much more optimistic about the DL than I was 1-month ago. Time will tell tho.

Hope you’re correct as well!

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom