Shooter: It’s beginning to look like Mark Coyle made the right hire in PJ Fleck

It doesn’t have to be the ridiculous scenario I proposed.

But just seems like everyone who is on the high side is willing to puff out their chests ... until they’re asked to risk something to back up their supposed fervent belief.

I just don’t see anything wrong with backing off to a much more reasonable position: 9+ gets you excited and is what you want, but 7-8 is the expected value (expectation).

I thought you said 6 before. Chili getting hot?

6-8, 7-8, whatever.

Clear line in the sand at 9+. Supposed believers in that won’t risk anything to prove it.

So until that changes, I call it fake and a bunch of hot air!

6-8, 7-8, whatever.

Clear line in the sand at 9+. Supposed believers in that won’t risk anything to prove it.

So until that changes, I call it fake and a bunch of hot air!

What do you want us to risk? Everything you've mentioned has been completely overblown. If you're so confident in your 6-8 range, why don't you actually risk something before complaining no one else is, its a two way road bud.

And while we're at it, the win total is just a proxy for the actual argument of how much talent/how good the team is. Win predictions/expectations start to match up when compared to how people view the team in that regard. You think the team isn't ready, that's fine, but your arguments hold just as much water as those who think the team is ready.

I think it's almost clear now to say Fleck was the right hire.
He was a dream hire at the time.
He's done more for the students academically, socially, and spiritually than any other coach here.
He's by far the best marketer of the program.
I'd say on the field, he only needs to win about 6 more games for me to be convinced he was a home run hire.

I'm all for teams winning a lot of games, but when he's turning out intelligent men like he appears to be, you realize there are bigger things to life than football success on the field.

If you aren't a winner you are a loser.

But you said you don't expect the team to win the Big Ten Championship just make the game....what kind of loser mentality is that? Do a lot of work with youth sports and I can totally picture what kind of parent you would be with an attitude like that.

But you said you don't expect the team to win the Big Ten Championship just make the game....what kind of loser mentality is that? Do a lot of work with youth sports and I can totally picture what kind of parent you would be with an attitude like that.

What kind of parent would he be? I do a lot of work with youth sports as well and can't picture it.

It doesn’t have to be the ridiculous scenario I proposed.

But just seems like everyone who is on the high side is willing to puff out their chests ... until they’re asked to risk something to back up their supposed fervent belief.

I just don’t see anything wrong with backing off to a much more reasonable position: 9+ gets you excited and is what you want, but 7-8 is the expected value (expectation).

You still have absolutely no idea what the definition of ‘expectation’ is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^Loser mentality^^^

Richard Hoover, is that you?

A refresher on the brilliance of Little Miss Sunshine:

Not only do the steps of Richard's "Refuse to Lose" program sound corny, but Richard isn't exactly a model for success. The "9 Steps" do make for fun reading though, hence their placement in our Top 10. (Searchlighters' three favorites are in bold):

1. Leaving Loserhood: Finding a New Address in a Winner-Takes-All World

2. Aspiration, Inspiration, Perspiration

3. No Hocus Pocus, Just Focus

4. Say No to the Negheads

5. Good Enough is Never Good Enough

6. Trust and Be Trusted

7. Think Big. Act Big... Be Big.

8. Reject Rejection.

9. REFUSE TO LOSE.

Source: http://www.foxsearchlight.com/post/1051/favorite-thing-10-richards-9-steps/

I think it's almost clear now to say Fleck was the right hire.
He was a dream hire at the time.
He's done more for the students academically, socially, and spiritually than any other coach here.
He's by far the best marketer of the program.
I'd say on the field, he only needs to win about 6 more games for me to be convinced he was a home run hire.

I'm all for teams winning a lot of games, but when he's turning out intelligent men like he appears to be, you realize there are bigger things to life than football success on the field.

Assume you're being sarcastic here.

2016 and then 2019 were/are the two I had circled going back to 2014/15 as Gophs most favorable future seasons on paper. Mich, MSU and BYU next year plus five road B1G games in 2020 will be a big test for Fleck & Co.

BYU sucks just FYI

Whether you love or despise PJ’s methodology and persona, I was told early in my professional career by my mentor a certain philosophy that has stuck with me for the last 30 years. You can teach anything to anyone willing to be trained when it comes to a certain process necessary for success except for two things...energy and enthusiasm. Without energy and enthusiasm, you’ll never succeed at the highest level no matter how well you understand the process.

My money is on Coach Fleck, warts and all, because he has already won half the battle. If he can continue to hone his coaching acumen and recruiting prowess, the sky’s the limit and we will be praying he sticks around.

Whether you love or despise PJ’s methodology and persona, I was told early in my professional career by my mentor a certain philosophy that has stuck with me for the last 30 years. You can teach anything to anyone willing to be trained when it comes to a certain process necessary for success except for two things...energy and enthusiasm. Without energy and enthusiasm, you’ll never succeed at the highest level no matter how well you understand the process.

My money is on Coach Fleck, warts and all, because he has already won half the battle. If he can continue to hone his coaching acumen and recruiting prowess, the sky’s the limit and we will be praying he sticks around.

Interesting take but totally understand where you are coming from. With youth sports we are always preaching to the kids that the two things they control completely are their attitude and effort.

Interesting take but totally understand where you are coming from. With youth sports we are always preaching to the kids that the two things they control completely are their attitude and effort.

Absolutely. Those two things are choices, not attributes.

Top Bottom