Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default Shooter: Itís beginning to look like Mark Coyle made the right hire in PJ Fleck

per Shooter:

Itís beginning to look like Gophers athletics director Mark Coyle made the right hire in P.J. Fleck as Gophers football coach.

Entering his third season, Fleckís act seems to have appealed to a new generation. Entering training camp, his players have become stronger and more physical and seem more mature.

Benefiting from a favorable schedule ó no Michigan, Michigan State or Ohio State this year ó the Gophers seem a good bet to win nine games, at least five in the Big Ten.

As for Fleck and expectations, he said last week, ďSome people think weíre a top 25 (nationally), some people think weíre sixth in the West (in the seven-team division).Ē

https://www.twincities.com/2019/08/0...son-this-good/

Go Gophers!!

This is something I can agree with.

Very happy with Coyle.
    "Do Not Be Afraid to Be A Legend"

This season will be the decider.

Quote Originally Posted by PMWinSTP View Post
    It will be a strong indicator one way or the other but it won't be the decider on how Fleck is going to do here.

If the team does really well it will be cause for a ton of optimism for the future, if the team backslides and struggles it will be cause for some concern. But no matter what happens it is too early to know for certain how the Fleck run is going to go here.

Quote Originally Posted by PMWinSTP View Post
    Nope, next season

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Nope, next season
    I agree. We'll be good this year, but we'll get to see a full PJ team next year. With Depth at every position. We're still too thin in places this year and will need freshmen to contribute significantly if anyone gets hurt.
    "My life has become a single, ongoing revelation that I haven't been cynical enough." - Chrisjen Avasarala

Quote Originally Posted by MNVCGUY View Post
    It will be a strong indicator one way or the other but it won't be the decider on how Fleck is going to do here.

If the team does really well it will be cause for a ton of optimism for the future, if the team backslides and struggles it will be cause for some concern. But no matter what happens it is too early to know for certain how the Fleck run is going to go here.
    Agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure Dubya is the decider, said so himself.

Regardless of whether Fleck has success here or flames out and gets fired, it will have always been the right decision by Coyle to hire Fleck.

Fleck was by far the hottest up and coming coach on the market at the time it was a no brainer to hire him given he wanted the job. Tom Herman is really the only other guy that you could have made a case for at the time but I think Fleck is a better fit for Minnesota since he has always coached in the midwest and Herman is a better fit for Texas who has connections in the South. Fleck may or may not pan out (I definitely think he will) but regardless of what happens next, given what we knew at the time, it will always be a good decision. Kind of like shooting an open layup over a 3 point shot, its possible you may miss the layup but if you do miss, it doesn't mean it was a bad decision to take that shot, it just means you executed poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by die hard gopher View Post
    Regardless of whether Fleck has success here or flames out and gets fired, it will have always been the right decision by Coyle to hire Fleck.

Fleck was by far the hottest up and coming coach on the market at the time it was a no brainer to hire him given he wanted the job. Tom Herman is really the only other guy that you could have made a case for at the time but I think Fleck is a better fit for Minnesota since he has always coached in the midwest and Herman is a better fit for Texas who has connections in the South. Fleck may or may not pan out (I definitely think he will) but regardless of what happens next, given what we knew at the time, it will always be a good decision. Kind of like shooting an open layup over a 3 point shot, its possible you may miss the layup but if you do miss, it doesn't mean it was a bad decision to take that shot, it just means you executed poorly.
    Could not agree more. For the first time we spent some money and went out and got the hot name that was out there in Fleck. No coaching hire is ever a sure thing but as opposed to following our usual pattern we went out and got the guy everyone was talking about.

Don't really remember all the circumstances around Mason when we hired him but I know he was well regarded. Brewster was plucked from obscurity by Maturi, and we got Kill after everyone else said no so he wasn't exactly high on anyone's coaching lists prior to us hiring him away from Northern Illinois. In Fleck we identified our top target and then went out and hired him.

PJ can go 3-9 this year and have no worries of losing his job. Academically they have never been better. Also, bad luck with starting QB hurt. He gets another year minimum no matter what unless massive cheating scandal it lack of control of team
    "Do Not Be Afraid to Be A Legend"

Quote Originally Posted by Face The Facts View Post
    PJ can go 3-9 this year and have no worries of losing his job. Academically they have never been better. Also, bad luck with starting QB hurt. He gets another year minimum no matter what unless massive cheating scandal it lack of control of team
    Agreed. As he should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Consensus Top 25 Class, 4 of final 5, 80% underclassmen, Youngest Team, 2nd Youngest Team, Best Back-To-Back Classes Ever, 9 Scholarship Seniors, HS Teacher, 8-Hour Radius, Major Paycut

Wait..what? So a stodgy columnist from the Pioneer Press must have initially thought this was a terrible hire; but now after letting things play out for a bit has a different opinion? Weird how that works. I wonder what the other stodgy columnist at the Pioneer Press thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Face The Facts View Post
    Uh, nope...

I agre he’ll get at least 5-6 years in spite of any win/loss issues because of money considerations and because Coyle. If they can convince themselves we won 4 of last 5, X number of seniors/Y number of upperclassmen, 2nd youngest team in football history, Robb Smith defense schematically sound, etc etc surely they will convince themselves success is just around the corner next year when recruits XYZ get on campus. Look no further than the talk regarding Pitino.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    Uh, nope...

I agre he’ll get at least 5-6 years in spite of any win/loss issues because of money considerations and because Coyle. If they can convince themselves we won 4 of last 5, X number of seniors/Y number of upperclassmen, 2nd youngest team in football history, Robb Smith defense schematically sound, etc etc surely they will convince themselves success is just around the corner next year when recruits XYZ get on campus. Look no further than the talk regarding Pitino.
    Will you be more or less miserable if/when PJ has success here?
    "A lot of guys look good running around in underwear." - 414GopherFan