Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

By total coincidence this happens to work well when sung to the tune of "It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas"

It's beginning to look a lot like Fleck Success
    Ev'rywhere you go
    take a look around the Big Ten,
    Gold helmets glistening once again
    With Stadium Village and Dinky Town aglow

Maroon in ev'ry store
    But the prettiest sight to see
    is the trophies that will be
    On your own front door

A pair of marching band boots and a big horn that toots
    Is the wish of Barney and Ben
    Goldy dolls that will talk and will go for a walk
    Is the hope of Janice and Jen
    And Mom and Dad can hardly wait for school to start again

Ev'rywhere you go
    there's a block M in the Grand Hotel,
    One in the park as well
    the sturdy kind that doesn't mind the snow

Soon the victory bells will start
    And the thing that will make them ring
    Is the rouser that you sing
    Right within your heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    You donít understand the definition of expectation, then.

Results can exceed expectations. It is possible. No one claimed otherwise.
    I do. Correct. Correct. Yes, many did, in multiple threads, over and over.

There is no secret sauce or special formula.

Neither Saban nor Sweeney have invented some special process, method, or scheme that no one else in the country knows how to do.

Somehow they figured out a way to get the 4 and 5 star athletes they needed to win national championships. If that’s by paying the players families, their handlers, whatever, who knows. Maybe, maybe not. Wouldn’t surprise me though.
    He didn’t invent it but it’s clear some coaches have a combination of leadership qualities and X and Os smarts that allow them to consistently win. Whether it’s fitting the scheme to the players (see Rossi, Joe for one clear example), having an eye for and recruiting talent, making the right assistant hires, motivating players to push through to their best, teaching scheme, and making the right game day calls some coaches are much, much better than others. Saban is rightfully acknowledged to be amongst the best in history at all these things. There are others that consistently win or overachieve at different levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    By total coincidence this happens to work well when sung to the tune of "It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas"

Ev'rywhere you go

Maroon in ev'ry store
    On your own front door

Ev'rywhere you go
    One in the park as well

Right within your heart.
    This might win a grammy.
    "Do Not Be Afraid to Be A Legend"

Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    Saban is rightfully acknowledged to be amongst the best in history at all these things.
    Thing is, being at places like Alabama or LSU makes it hard to prove.

Itís like claiming ďthe reason a Lamborghini has such a higher top speed than a Toyota Carolla, is because they hired the very best designers and engineersĒ. OK, that might actually be true, but horsepower also plays a huge factor. So you canít compare apples to watermelon.

The way to truly prove it would be for Saban to come to a place like Minnesota and then win a national title.

Me personally, very sorry to say, but I think there are just too many factors that are out of our control (ďlack of horsepowerĒ), aligned against us, for that to be possible. Hey, if Wisconsin or Iowa win a modern national title, Iíll revise that statement.

So until proven otherwise, I conclude that while itís not incorrect to say ďNick Saban is the fastest driver in the planet for a reason!Ē, my response ďBut we canít disentangle that from the fact that he drives a car with more horsepower than everyone else.Ē

As another poster pointed out, Saban took over a Bama team that was hovering at mediocre and immediately improved them. He did the same thing at MSU and LSU as well. It didnít translate to the NFL, but heís done it at each P5 stop
    For you to suggest heís only done it because of top end talent is false as he didnít inherit top end talent at any one of those places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s like claiming “the reason a Lamborghini has such a higher top speed than a Toyota Carolla, is because they hired the very best designers and engineers”. OK, that might actually be true, but horsepower also plays a huge factor. So you can’t compare apples to watermelon.

The way to truly prove it would be for Saban to come to a place like Minnesota and then win a national title.

Me personally, very sorry to say, but I think there are just too many factors that are out of our control (“lack of horsepower”), aligned against us, for that to be possible. Hey, if Wisconsin or Iowa win a modern national title, I’ll revise that statement.

So until proven otherwise, I conclude that while it’s not incorrect to say “Nick Saban is the fastest driver in the planet for a reason!”, my response “But we can’t disentangle that from the fact that he drives a car with more horsepower than everyone else.”
    There can be only one national champion and Saban has excelled amongst that group of 15-20 programs that have a realistic shot of going all the way, at least under the current system. I agree the field is artificially limited which sort of invalidates the “champion” label but is what it is for now.

I’d disagree that MN cannot reach that level although it wouldn’t be easy. Teams like Oregon, Michigan State, Washington, Clemson, and even Wisconsin have either gotten to the CFP or had the national hype to help get there if they win out.

As the saying goes, and this is 100% true, 90% of life is just showing up and giving effort. Success can often follow.

Quote Originally Posted by GFBfan View Post
    he didn’t inherit top end talent at any one of those places.
    Right, he brought in the talent he needed to win. Of course, that is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    and even Wisconsin have either gotten to the CFP or had the national hype to help get there if they win out.
    Like I said, if Wisco wins a modern national title, then I will agree it’s possible here.

I don’t believe it can happen. By will be happy to be proven wrong. And they’re closer to Lake Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post

Ev'rywhere you go

Maroon in ev'ry store
    On your own front door

Ev'rywhere you go
    One in the park as well

Right within your heart.
    This song also popped into my head when reading the headline. Well played.
    "A lot of guys look good running around in underwear." - 414GopherFan

As another poster pointed out, Saban took over a Bama team that was hovering at mediocre and immediately improved them. He did the same thing at MSU and LSU as well. It didn’t translate to the NFL, but he’s done it at each P5 stop
    For you to suggest he’s only done it because of top end talent is false as he didn’t inherit top end talent at any one of those places.

LSU and Alabama still had a hell of a lot more talent than the 2017 Gophers.

Quote Originally Posted by GopherWeatherGuy View Post
    LSU and Alabama still had a hell of a lot more talent than the 2017 Gophers.
    Not sure anyone said otherwise.

Maybe the point was that Saban came to AL in Ď07. Their 5-year avg recruiting ranking when he arrived (247) was 25th in the Nation and 7th in the SEC. 4-year avg (247) was 23/6. He went 7-6 then 12-2, 14-0.

Consensus Top 25 Class, 4 of final 5, 80% underclassmen, Youngest Team, 2nd Youngest Team, Best Back-To-Back Classes Ever, 9 Scholarship Seniors, HS Teacher, 8-Hour Radius, Major Paycut

It’s like claiming “the reason a Lamborghini has such a higher top speed than a Toyota Carolla, is because they hired the very best designers and engineers”. OK, that might actually be true, but horsepower also plays a huge factor. So you can’t compare apples to watermelon.

Me personally, very sorry to say, but I think there are just too many factors that are out of our control (“lack of horsepower”), aligned against us, for that to be possible. Hey, if Wisconsin or Iowa win a modern national title, I’ll revise that statement.

So until proven otherwise, I conclude that while it’s not incorrect to say “Nick Saban is the fastest driver in the planet for a reason!”, my response “But we can’t disentangle that from the fact that he drives a car with more horsepower than everyone else.”
    In the 10 years prior to Saban taking over at LSU, LSU won less games than Mason did in his 10 years here. LSU wasn't a Lamborghini until Saban got there.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsmaroonandgold View Post
    In the 10 years prior to Saban taking over at LSU, LSU won less games than Mason did in his 10 years here. LSU wasn't a Lamborghini until Saban got there.
    Sorry, doesn’t do it for me. The amount of 4/5 star talent in Louisiana alone, plus neighboring Miss and East Texas, and the amount of money that pours into that program and the size of their fan base (stadium, avg attendance), you’re talking apples to watermelon.

All it takes at programs like that (LSU, Auburn, Alabama) is a guy who can get the right kids to sign there. That’s it. The rest takes care of itself. Same would be true at places like Miss, TA&M, Georgia, Tennessee, etc. My gut feeling is it’s just about paying the right people off, to get those national championship winning kids in there. I feel like that’s how it works down there. Cam Newton is a great example.

Let’s see those coaches come to Minnesota and win a modern natty. THEN I’ll believe they have some special sauce hat nobody else knows how to do. Until then, nope.

As another poster pointed out, Saban took over a Bama team that was hovering at mediocre and immediately improved them. He did the same thing at MSU and LSU as well. It didn’t translate to the NFL, but he’s done it at each P5 stop
    For you to suggest he’s only done it because of top end talent is false as he didn’t inherit top end talent at any one of those places.

When Saban took over at Bama, the three prior recruiting classes were ranked, 21, 16, and 13.
    Not sure whose argument I'm helping if anyone's at all.
    "Do Not Be Afraid to Be A Legend"