Coach K: I have been lucky getting great kids from Minnesota...we're looking @ others

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Still working Minnesota

While Krzyzewski mainly wanted to talk about how happy he was for Rosas, he did mention that his Duke squad is going to have a very good season this year with two big-time Minnesota recruits, Apple Valley sophomore guard Tre Jones and Rochester John Marshall freshman forward Matthew Hurt.

“Tre Jones coming back is terrific, we got Matthew Hurt from Minnesota also. Matthew has had a really good summer,” he said. “We have been lucky to get some of the really great players from Minnesota. They are top-level players, top-level young men.”

He said that with a great number of standout prep basketball players still coming out of the state, he plans to keep recruiting it as hard as he has the past several seasons.

“I have been lucky getting great kids from Minnesota, they have made me look good. Hopefully they make me look great this year,” Krzyzewski said. “There are some other really great players up there and we are looking at them. We’re looking at them.”

http://www.startribune.com/duke-coa...new-wolves-president-gersson-rosas/516760632/

Go Gophers!!

Barf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minnesota has really become a hot-bed for top level talents. Not just guys who have gotten a cup of tea in the NBA like the Coffey, Macura or Travis types, but many who are, or look like 1st round/early 2nd round types...Tyus and Tre. Vaughn, Trent Jr, Matt Hurt, Suggs...Oturu(?).

Thats all just in the last 5 or so years.

Coach K can kiss my maroon and Gold ass! :mad:

Makes me physically ill.

Delete the thread. To me it’s useless. Go Gophers

You support k more than Mn. Your posts reveal your true self built. Your moniker has Badger in it.

Those are facts, sir.

You could not be further from the truth. Your own name could infer you burn barns, close end of games, arsonist but i do not make a judgement on that. If you read my posts you would know i just use a name that a former staff member at UW gave me as a nickname. Continue with the insults if you think they are insightful to the board, or not.

You could not be further from the truth. Your own name could infer you burn barns, close end of games, arsonist but i do not make a judgement on that. If you read my posts you would know i just use a name that a former staff member at UW gave me as a nickname. Continue with the insults if you think they are insightful to the board, or not.

Perhaps subtle jabs at the current coach and badger in your name is insulting?

K cheats. William Avery. Yet your love of k is great.

Don't forget Corey Magette. Calhoun just our heated him in 99. K just takes a back injury whenever he has a bad team so the loses don't count towards his legacy

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Don't forget Corey Magette. Calhoun just our heated him in 99. K just takes a back injury whenever he has a bad team so the loses don't count towards his legacy

Oh yes I remember magette. So does builtbadgers. He just chooses to have it both ways.

I am not the one picking K over Pitino, players are. There are plenty of reasons for them to think he is a vastly superior coach. I do not do subtle . My praise for things i see well done here are spelled out and there us nothing subtle about my criticisms. Why not stick to your standards of what is great, i will stick to mine. Instead you just have comments about me. Said it a hundred times, it is my opinion that what we have had here is mediocre. I explained that i expect way more. My whole life has been built around the idea of excellence. Raised on it. Not everything worked out best every time but when it came to building something it did and it worked in our family, in our business, in the programs we played a role in. No one can determine how great a fan i am based on my not cheering for all things Minnesota. My hometown is Carmel by the Sea and to me, for me that is more beautiful than anywhere here but i do not think that someone who thinks lake of the isles is nicer is crazy. They have their own opinion. I support Pitino being here right now but think he has done a poor job. Most people with that conference record after 6 years would be fired. If your great, do something great. For me that is win the conference, or make a final 4. For me the NIT means not in tournament. Others think Nit banners should be proudly displayed, 9-11 is good. Iam fine with fans that think that, their choice and i do not call them names for thinking otherwise.

I am not the one picking K over Pitino, players are. There are plenty of reasons for them to think he is a vastly superior coach. I do not do subtle . My praise for things i see well done here are spelled out and there us nothing subtle about my criticisms. Why not stick to your standards of what is great, i will stick to mine. Instead you just have comments about me. Said it a hundred times, it is my opinion that what we have had here is mediocre. I explained that i expect way more. My whole life has been built around the idea of excellence. Raised on it. Not everything worked out best every time but when it came to building something it did and it worked in our family, in our business, in the programs we played a role in. No one can determine how great a fan i am based on my not cheering for all things Minnesota. My hometown is Carmel by the Sea and to me, for me that is more beautiful than anywhere here but i do not think that someone who thinks lake of the isles is nicer is crazy. They have their own opinion. I support Pitino being here right now but think he has done a poor job. Most people with that conference record after 6 years would be fired. If your great, do something great. For me that is win the conference, or make a final 4. For me the NIT means not in tournament. Others think Nit banners should be proudly displayed, 9-11 is good. Iam fine with fans that think that, their choice and i do not call them names for thinking otherwise.

+1000. Pitino's record, coaching, and recruiting has been underwhelming in 6 years to say the least.

+1000. Pitino's record, coaching, and recruiting has been underwhelming in 6 years to say the least.

Two camps. One camp emphasizes Pitino's overall record and thin benches. The other camp emphasizes recent success and inordinate number of injuries. Facts put forth by both camps are correct. No doubt an irresolvable argument.
Personally, I dont think Coach K could not have gotten the gophs any further than Pitino got them in 2016-17 or 2018-19.

Two camps. One camp emphasizes Pitino's overall record and thin benches. The other camp emphasizes recent success and inordinate number of injuries. Facts put forth by both camps are correct. No doubt an irresolvable argument.
Personally, I dont think Coach K could not have gotten the gophs any further than Pitino got them in 2016-17 or 2018-19.

Your right, no solvable but it is a bottom line business and we all have our own idea of what someone doing a great job looks like. Do you think anyone would have won more with those groups ? I do.

Your right, no solvable but it is a bottom line business and we all have our own idea of what someone doing a great job looks like. Do you think anyone would have won more with those groups ? I do.
But you could make that argument about 99 percent of teams though and even so some of the guys you think might do better, may not, lot of variables as you know come into play in terms of what a coach wants, type of athlete they recruit etc etc. Or how strong the brand is. IMO I think Sean Miller is terribly overrated and just about every Big Ten coach could recruit on his level in Tucson. Sure, you're Tony Bennett and Calipari and Coach Kbtypes would do better, but I doubt someone like Danny Manning or Mike Hopkins, Eric Musselman or either the Hurley brothers would, they could, but no one could make that argument with any certainty on any of their behalfs

Impossible to know for sure, I suppose. Thought Coach's work was masterful during those two seasons. Fun to watch him mold the team.

Last edited:

Until the basketball team is relevant they'll just keep flowing out of the state.

It's really not a question of if anyone would have won more with those groups. More of a question of would someone that would have came here to replace him have won more games?

yeah a ton of people can win more, but like we saw when we hired him, not everyone thinks this is a great job unfortunately.

It's really not a question of if anyone would have won more with those groups. More of a question of would someone that would have came here to replace him have won more games?

yeah a ton of people can win more, but like we saw when we hired him, not everyone thinks this is a great job unfortunately.

Nice ringing endorsement of the program.

True but i am in the minority that the rebuilding jobs are the best jobs. I worked with coaches who actually targeted the worst jobs, far worse than this one. You have the chance to put in your own system, it is a clean slate. The Minnesota job is a incredible opportunity.

Top Bottom