Coach K: I have been lucky getting great kids from Minnesota...we're looking @ others

True but i am in the minority that the rebuilding jobs are the best jobs. I worked with coaches who actually targeted the worst jobs, far worse than this one. You have the chance to put in your own system, it is a clean slate. The Minnesota job is a incredible opportunity.

Hmmmm.

Which coaches targeted Mn job, post Clem?

Bottom of the barrel, Mn was.

Hmmmm.

Which coaches targeted Mn job, post Clem?

Bottom of the barrel, Mn was.

Never said Minnesota. I said i worked with coaches who targeted worse jobs than this one but those schools had the plan on knowing they were getting great coaches who wanted the challenge of building and they were right, it worked spectacularly. We just had terrible athletic directors.

Never said Minnesota. I said i worked with coaches who targeted worse jobs than this one but those schools had the plan on knowing they were getting great coaches who wanted the challenge of building and they were right, it worked spectacularly. We just had terrible athletic directors.

"I worked with coaches who actually targeted the worst jobs, far worse than this one. You have the chance to put in your own system, it is a clean slate. "

Of course you didnt say MN. It doesnt fit your narrative.

If coaches were targeting bad jobs in order to build it their way, MN would have been first in line. Reality was your theory didnt hold true - then, and that has continued.

"I worked with coaches who actually targeted the worst jobs, far worse than this one. You have the chance to put in your own system, it is a clean slate. "

Of course you didnt say MN. It doesnt fit your narrative.

If coaches were targeting bad jobs in order to build it their way, MN would have been first in line. Reality was your theory didnt hold true - then, and that has continued.

There were coaches that would have taken the Minnesota job after Clem. Right after Clem they could have hired Bo Ryan with minor concessions but the Gophers were not interested. They could have hired Tony Bennett in 2003 but did not have the guts or the insight. Bob Knight was already telling people that he thought he had the best skill set to become a great coach than he saw in a long time. Do you actually think the U has had top shelf athletic directors and tuned in PRESIDENTS AND REGENTS ? What hires did you think were home runs ? Those clowns were told Smith was already tired, anyone scouting the recruiting scene knew he was done. He sought a soft landing . Offer takes on hires and the process instead of just attacking someone who does not wear maroon and gold glasses.

There were coaches that would have taken the Minnesota job after Clem. Right after Clem they could have hired Bo Ryan with minor concessions but the Gophers were not interested. They could have hired Tony Bennett in 2003 but did not have the guts or the insight. Bob Knight was already telling people that he thought he had the best skill set to become a great coach than he saw in a long time. Do you actually think the U has had top shelf athletic directors and tuned in PRESIDENTS AND REGENTS ? What hires did you think were home runs ? Those clowns were told Smith was already tired, anyone scouting the recruiting scene knew he was done. He sought a soft landing . Offer takes on hires and the process instead of just attacking someone who does not wear maroon and gold glasses.
Hired Bennett? Monson was the coach for four years already in 2003 and Monson was the coach until 2006, Monson was considered high integrity after Clem, and Monson considered Washington after the end of the 2002 season, but while scholarship restrictions relative to other Big Ten teams rendered him ineffective as a recruiter and winner, Moe talked him out of going to Washington. So are you saying Bennett knocked on the Gopher door in 2003 and offered himself to the Gophers?

Last edited:

So the finger points at administration. OK.

You appear to love Coyle, so why hasn't Coyle made a change? Based on your writings, RP has had 6 years and has not won a conference title/etc, so he should be gone and the next Tony Bennett brought in.

If Coyle is as you say he is, we are burning daylight once again. Why?

So the finger points at administration. OK.

You appear to love Coyle, so why hasn't Coyle made a change? Based on your writings, RP has had 6 years and has not won a conference title/etc, so he should be gone and the next Tony Bennett brought in.

If Coyle is as you say he is, we are burning daylight once again. Why?

Not knocked on the door but his team made contact, just as Bo Ryans guys did right after Clem and it was booted to the curb. I do think Coyle is a very strong AD and at this time wise to ride with Pitino until he either finds someone better, proves to be good by winning something meaningful like a conference title or has 2 more sub .500 conference records in which case a change has to be made. Make the change today if you know who the next Brad Stevens or Tony Bennett is. The only way it happens is to hire him before OTHER AD's know and that has to come on the recommendation of coaches, people that watched them work clinics over years. Being a great teacher is a very rare gift and must be combined with a great eye for intangibles, people skills and trust that your authentic. Earn trust by the consistent way you do things, building a culture, then winning. I said dozens of times that i support Pitino this year. I hope he wins huge. I just do not see his whole body of work, all the wins, all the losses, the injuries he is not at fault for, the crappy characters he brought in that are. Could not stand how he was hired, can not stand that after 6 years we still have a program that does not a identity that when people think of Minnesota basketball they think of something related to the program, like great shooters, beautiful offense, tough defense, efficient, well coached, fundamental. Something even a casual observer could say that Pitino's teams bring that every day. That is the thing you hang your hat on everyday, people that you recruit know it and they come for it, fans marry it no matter what one of those things are. If nothing else, never sacrifice a ounce of integrity and character.

Not knocked on the door but his team made contact, just as Bo Ryans guys did right after Clem and it was booted to the curb. I do think Coyle is a very strong AD and at this time wise to ride with Pitino until he either finds someone better, proves to be good by winning something meaningful like a conference title or has 2 more sub .500 conference records in which case a change has to be made. Make the change today if you know who the next Brad Stevens or Tony Bennett is. The only way it happens is to hire him before OTHER AD's know and that has to come on the recommendation of coaches, people that watched them work clinics over years. Being a great teacher is a very rare gift and must be combined with a great eye for intangibles, people skills and trust that your authentic. Earn trust by the consistent way you do things, building a culture, then winning. I said dozens of times that i support Pitino this year. I hope he wins huge. I just do not see his whole body of work, all the wins, all the losses, the injuries he is not at fault for, the crappy characters he brought in that are. Could not stand how he was hired, can not stand that after 6 years we still have a program that does not a identity that when people think of Minnesota basketball they think of something related to the program, like great shooters, beautiful offense, tough defense, efficient, well coached, fundamental. Something even a casual observer could say that Pitino's teams bring that every day. That is the thing you hang your hat on everyday, people that you recruit know it and they come for it, fans marry it no matter what one of those things are. If nothing else, never sacrifice a ounce of integrity and character.

If that is your standard, I dont know how you are able to follow college athletics at all. It is a dirty business, getting dirtier by the day. Fueled by the NCAA and their abysmal record.

I have been told you by and others that an effective AD always has a list in his pocket. And by you that there are these diamonds waiting to be found and hired. Names built.

BTW - Coyle is on the clock......

Last edited:

If that is your standard, I dont know how you are able to follow college athletics at all. It is a dirty business, getting dirtier by the day. Fueled by the NCAA and their abysmal record.

I have been told you by and others that an effective AD always has a list in his pocket. And by you that there are these diamonds waiting to be found and hired. Names built.

BTW - Coyle is on the clock......

Not all programs are dirty. Some are pure to every rule and still win big. Those lists are the AD's lists, private to them. They are not mine. You keep on attacking the game, attacking my opinions instead of offering your own basketball opinions. Casting the dirty way other programs is based on on some known facts but still a excuse for not achieving at a high level. I like not cheating and winning, would not support winning with bad characters either. That is my standard, that is how i choose to live and how i look at teams. You can hack away at it all you want but your still not offering your opinion of success by coaches and programs. Of course Coyle is on the clock. Fleck will have to win. Hockey will have to win, basketball will have to win. Get a title of any significance in any of those and he buys time. He goes about his businness in a far more effective manner than those inept clowns before him.

Not all programs are dirty. Some are pure to every rule and still win big. Those lists are the AD's lists, private to them. They are not mine. You keep on attacking the game, attacking my opinions instead of offering your own basketball opinions. Casting the dirty way other programs is based on on some known facts but still a excuse for not achieving at a high level. I like not cheating and winning, would not support winning with bad characters either. That is my standard, that is how i choose to live and how i look at teams. You can hack away at it all you want but your still not offering your opinion of success by coaches and programs. Of course Coyle is on the clock. Fleck will have to win. Hockey will have to win, basketball will have to win. Get a title of any significance in any of those and he buys time. He goes about his businness in a far more effective manner than those inept clowns before him.

Anyone who has a pulse should be able to see how much more competent Coyle is compared to our past ADs. Just look at his 3 hires. All were done with a plan and done quickly. The Pitino hire and Stollings hires were gong shows. Pitino has done some great things, but also needs improvement. I think he's on that path and will hopefully be here another 10 years and is successful consistently. Maturi and Teague hires were tired and most times lacked any vision. Coyle has said in interviews that he has lists of suitable and great coaches who he'd hire if he needs too. I have faith in him.

Sure they do. Every rule?

I am not attacking the game. You cant recognize and call a spade a spade - major college athletics is a dirty, dirty business. Agree built?

Nor am I attacking your opinions. You are entitled and I am entitled to call you out.

I only want to win. Just win, baby. And Marky C - the pressure is on for you to produce winners. You have Built's ringing endorsement.

Sure they do. Every rule?

I am not attacking the game. You cant recognize and call a spade a spade - major college athletics is a dirty, dirty business. Agree built?

Nor am I attacking your opinions. You are entitled and I am entitled to call you out.

I only want to win. Just win, baby. And Marky C - the pressure is on for you to produce winners. You have Built's ringing endorsement.
Yes, there are programs that follow every single rule and they win as big as you can. I was asked to host a recruit while a team was busy in game prep and playing and it was stressed that i would not even buy a 12 dollar lunch ! I already knew that from my experience, my own integrity and my deep respect for how this coach conducts business. No arrangements for friends or family, no slough classes offered by the school. Damn, he suspended a starter for being 10 minutes late to a team dinner. Another suspension of 5 games for public intoxication for another player that was of age and was in his own yard. Not even one single rule bent much less broken. I know several other coaches that play it straight all the way. I despise when programs cheat but that does not mean they all do.

Anyone who has a pulse should be able to see how much more competent Coyle is compared to our past ADs. Just look at his 3 hires. All were done with a plan and done quickly. The Pitino hire and Stollings hires were gong shows. Pitino has done some great things, but also needs improvement. I think he's on that path and will hopefully be here another 10 years and is successful consistently. Maturi and Teague hires were tired and most times lacked any vision. Coyle has said in interviews that he has lists of suitable and great coaches who he'd hire if he needs too. I have faith in him.

Amen to this. I don't always agree with you, but I also trust Coyle far more than our previous ADs. When it comes to hiring coaches he has a plan and knows how to execute it.

Top Bottom