Annexstad out indefinitely with foot injury

This. +1,000. What 'experience' are they really gaining from a 10-15 garbage time snaps against Rutgers, assuming that game even gets to that point?

Better that than having their first snaps being in the middle of the game against any one of our last 4 opponents as that would be a high pressure situation more than likely. I'd rather they get their feet wet in a less stressful situation.

P.J. on the radio today never said they wouldn’t put them in if they were up big early in the game.

All he said is he doesn’t want to play them in a meaningless situation. He was specifically referring to Morgan’s helmet coming off and needing to come out for a single play. That was what he meant by “meaningless.” I don’t think he would consider getting several possessions, an entire quarter or two of more than just handing the ball off, to be meaningless.

And barring a CFP appearance, we only have 7, 8 at most, games left on the schedule so we could rotate between Kramer and Clark to preserve each’s RS, similar time what we are doing with Willis and Gordon at LB.

If I was a betting man, I would say that one of the true freshman (very likely Kramer), does play this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We super-optimists think we have 9 games at most left:)

Play them at what position? When?
Other than Rutgers, we’re likely to need Tanner all game against the rest of our schedule.
Unless he gets hurt. In which case it would be nice for the backup to have seen action.

Ha! Put him in at mop up time against Wisconsin. I don't know if ya all remember...we won 37-15 last year in Wisconsin. We are a better team this year and playing at home:) That would preserve the redshirt....Wisconsin-Ohio St. in B1G-College Playoff-College Championship:) #gogophers

I don't think it hurts to get experience in a real game situation with a crowd, etc. Look how bad Morgan looked when he first played last year. The more experience the better.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Depends how you look at it. Me personally, I don't think Kramer/Clark can really gain anything valuable from playing mop up duty vs. Rutgers if the game is out of hand in front of their, maybe 2,000 fans(?), that would still be there. It would have to be significant playing time. Like 1-2 quarters at this point. Not like we'll be sitting here thinking after, 'boy am I glad Clark got those 9 hand-offs and two pass attempts vs. Rutgers on Oct 19th. I am feeling WAY better now.' I honestly can't say that would make me feel any different other than you've burned 1 of 4 games for his RS. If there were only 3 games left (including Bowl Game) sure, toss them in. I just don't see a benefit in it at this point in the season, especially if we lost Tanner and had to sacrifice a RS season for one them. But, I am not Coach Fleck and will trust his judgement, whatever he decides. That's what he is paid for.

Last edited:

Tanner didn’t have the new 4 game redshirt rule, like there is now. He absolutely would have played had that been in place.
How are either of the two FR going to be ready if they don’t get any game reps? I’m not talking play a series just to turn and hand off. I’m saying if we get up big on Rutgers in the first half, then one or both of them should play in the second half so they can run the full offense. They need some game experience before being thrown in cold in a crucial game later if Morgan were to be hurt.

They are scrimmaging every week. So I imagine they are getting snaps against this gopher defense.

At the Current pace, Morgan will be the starting QB for two more years. You should red-shirt as many of the guys as possible. Spacing them out is smart. Our starting QB is top tier in the country statistically and will only get better.

Next year:
Morgan JR
Annexstad RSSo
Kramer RS Fr
Clark RS Fr.

They have a guy who’s paid to figure this stuff out. Isn’t that the one who doesn’t say much, and PJ compares to an NFL GM? I’ll trust that they know what they’re doing on this. They’re not just winging it.

Curious as to which games the play Kramer/Clark crowd would have liked to see them get snaps in?

SDSU? Nope.
Fresno St? Nope.
Georgia Southern? Nope.
Purdue? Nope.
Illinois? Maybe? But we didn't attempt a pass in the 4th quarter and the only series Morgan played was 11 minutes left and up 20. Green took the other series.
Nebraska? Maybe? Did attempt 1 pass in the 4th. Could have seen Kramer/Clark come in and hand the ball off, but not all that beneficial to their growth.

I also think the Georgia Southern and Purdue games fresh in their minds have made them a little cautious in assuming the game is over.

That being said, I think you'll see one of them on Saturday.

Curious as to which games the play Kramer/Clark crowd would have liked to see them get snaps in?

SDSU? Nope.
Fresno St? Nope.
Georgia Southern? Nope.
Purdue? Nope.
Illinois? Maybe? But we didn't attempt a pass in the 4th quarter and the only series Morgan played was 11 minutes left and up 20. Green took the other series.
Nebraska? Maybe? Did attempt 1 pass in the 4th. Could have seen Kramer/Clark come in and hand the ball off, but not all that beneficial to their growth.

I also think the Georgia Southern and Purdue games fresh in their minds have made them a little cautious in assuming the game is over.

Agree, they wouldn't have played in any with the exception of Nebraska, they could have. We were up big entering the 4th. Why not use that one quarter to let one of them run the offense in an actual game vs. a D they have never seen before. Not just run the ball but actually run the entire offense. Then you have one of them a little more prepared to play if the need arises. Now this week if things go as planned, you could use the other one to do the same thing. That would leave both with 3 games left to keep their redshirt. We have 5 Regular seasons games left at that point so you have all those games covered where one could play extended time, while still keeping both redshirts. I doubt we make the BIG Title game if Morgan goes down, so we would still be able to have one of them play in the bowl game if both Morgan and Annexstad aren't ready by then.

Anyone know of an Annexstad update?

Is he close to playing this year?
Maybe Bowl Game only?

He looked mobile enough walking around on the sideline during the game. What that portends is anyone’s guess. Could be ready by December? January?

Anyone know of an Annexstad update?

Is he close to playing this year?
Maybe Bowl Game only?

If he's healthy enough to play this year, I assume he will only play in four games max, so as to preserve the redshirt. That would mean three regular season games max, plus bowl game.

SDSU? Nope.
Fresno St? Nope.
Georgia Southern? Nope.
Purdue? Nope.

Let's update this chart.

@Rutgers:
- I can live with the decision that, being "only" up 21-0 at the end of the 3rd qtr, putting Morgan back in after Rutgers misses the field goal
- we go on score a TD in 11 plays, up 28-0
- first play by Rutgers after that, they throw a pick-six to Winfield, now up 35-0
- literally ZERO reason for Morgan to go back in
- Nope. He goes back in. After a Rutgers 3 and out. Throws a 56 yard TD to Johnson. Up 42-0
- Now the starters are done. Rutgers finally scores against 2nd D, uses up some time.
- Backup QB in with almost 6mins in the 4th. Three straight handoffs to Potts. 3 and out.

Maryland:
- start the 2nd half up 28-3
- nice first drive, but stalls out, we get a FG, up 31-3
- I can totally understand, too early, not up enough, keep Morgan in
- Maryland goes 3 and out
- great second drive, 12 plays, TD, up 38-3 with around a minute+ left in the 3rd qtr
- golden opportunity, could well be last opportunity in the season for meaningful backup reps
- Maryland goes 3 and out
- Nope ... Morgan back in
- long drive, 11 plays, TD, up 45-3 with 8+ mins left in the 4th
- Maryland hits a long TD pass, score is 45-10 with about 7ish mins in the 4th
- Backups in
- 4 straight handoffs, granted the first two were big gainers
- Clark does get to throw a pass, and makes it a great one, big play, 1st and goal, handoff TD, up 52-10
- Maryland 3 and out
- Then we just run out the clock with handoffs.

This arm-chair rube says that these were wasted opportunities to get some meaningful reps for our backup QBs.

The only chance we will have going forward would be the @NW game. But I can easily see that game being a low-scoring, defensive struggle, possibly bad weather outdoors. We'll see. So I disagree heartily with Fleck's decision-making here.

Essentially he's betting the entire kit and caboodle on Morgan and letting it ride. If something happens (**knock on wood**), then you're admitting that you have no backup plan and that's that.

Top Bottom