Annexstad out indefinitely with foot injury

He looked fine. Had trouble with his long balls, but clearly knows the offense. Seem more animated with other players, running down and congratulating them when there was a good catch or run. Really first time I saw that from him...that is what ZA would do in previous practices.

If Clark’s long balls were 50/50, but still a big drop off from Morgan, I’m fine with whatever Morgan did. We have enough evidence to show he can make those throws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So maybe Zack gets a medical redshirt on this if they keep him out and he will still have a four game redshirt year.

Almost sounds like Seth Green could be an emergency option to keep Cole and Jacob both at our under their four games this year should Tanner have a health issue.

Zack could possibly end up playing his Senior year here the same year as Jacob Clark in 2023.

2019 - medical redshirt
2020 - redshirt
2021 - sophomore
2022 - Junior
2023 - Senior

I could be wrong and probably am, but I don’t think he can do that. I THINK you can only use a medical redshirt if you’ve already redshirted.

Good to see a few physicians on this thread.

I could be wrong and probably am, but I don’t think he can do that. I THINK you can only use a medical redshirt if you’ve already redshirted.

Don’t think you can get a medical until you burn your regular redshirt. Doesn’t work the other way around.

Glass half full: Zack Annexstad's injury is a blow for Minnesota, but creates opportunity for Tanner Morgan

Annexstad’s injury is certainly a blow for Minnesota’s quarterback depth — especially for a kid who won the starting job as a true freshman walk-on last fall. His ability to compete with the scholarship quarterbacks on the roster was unquestionably a benefit for the Golden Gophers.

If you do want to look at the glass half full, though, Annexstad’s indefinite absence will (probably) allow Morgan to get more first-team repetitions during fall camp. That may not be the worst thing in the world for a player who’s still relatively inexperienced.

Would Morgan benefit from having a competitor throughout the month of August before the Gophers take the field? Sure. But there’s also a benefit to getting more work in with the first-team offense in the coming weeks.

Morgan played in nine games for Minnesota last season, starting in the final six games of the season. He certainly did enough to help the Gophers close the year with wins in three of their final four games, but there’s still plenty of room for improvement.

https://saturdaytradition.com/minne...ta-but-creates-opportunity-for-tanner-morgan/

Go Gophers!!

The only good part in this is the timing since now Morgan can really take hold of the starting job without having to split reps with Annexstad.

Big blow from a depth standpoint, going to be key to limit the hits Morgan takes once the season gets underway to hopefully keep him healthy.

Thank goodness we had the two options at QB, for a lot of teams losing their projected starter right now would be a death nail to their season.

If Clark’s long balls were 50/50, but still a big drop off from Morgan, I’m fine with whatever Morgan did. We have enough evidence to show he can make those throws.

My drop-off comment is overall, not throwing the long ball. Morgan was about the same with those. Could have had a down day with those throws.

I could be wrong, but I thought the 'medical red-shirt' was essentially eliminated with the new rule. a red-shirt is a red-shirt - any player can play in 4 games or less and retain a year of eligibility. cause could be injury, or coach's decision. same result.

Now, I think you can petition for a 6th year of competition in certain cases, but I think that involves players who have already used a red-shirt year for non-medical reasons.

So, if I'm right, Annexstad could certainly red-shirt, but it would be a 'regular' red-shirt.

As to the injury, a 'pop' in the foot with no contact sure sounds like a lisfranc injury. that could happen from a QB planting his foot and rotating. if it is, it all depends on the severity. best case would be out for 6 weeks. worst case is 12 weeks or more.

I could be wrong, but I thought the 'medical red-shirt' was essentially eliminated with the new rule. a red-shirt is a red-shirt - any player can play in 4 games or less and retain a year of eligibility. cause could be injury, or coach's decision. same result.

Now, I think you can petition for a 6th year of competition in certain cases, but I think that involves players who have already used a red-shirt year for non-medical reasons.

So, if I'm right, Annexstad could certainly red-shirt, but it would be a 'regular' red-shirt.

As to the injury, a 'pop' in the foot with no contact sure sounds like a lisfranc injury. that could happen from a QB planting his foot and rotating. if it is, it all depends on the severity. best case would be out for 6 weeks. worst case is 12 weeks or more.

Obviously it could be this as well. Bottom line: it sounds serious and more unpredictable than many injuries. So certainly a possibility. Prayers and thoughts with Zack to a speedy recovery whatever it is.

Just from a timing standpoint...this gives Morgan and the team plenty of time to adjust and rally around him as their leader.
Hopefully, we don't see much of the freshmen and depending on the injury Zack returns healthy this season, if the need arises.

If Morgan gets banged up I think they roll with Green before the new guys.

If Morgan gets banged up I think they roll with Green before the new guys.

I was thinking they might even use Green a lot for mop up duty, just to reduce the risk of Morgan getting injured. Those Freshman probably aren’t going to be ready.

Expect 6 to 12 weeks just to heal, which is a lot of play. Depends if there is also a dislocation. We’ll know more in a couple of days.

Don’t think you can get a medical until you burn your regular redshirt. Doesn’t work the other way around.

You got it right on all points.

“Had trouble with his long balls,”

The equipment manager could get him a tighter jockstrap.

Could be but plenty of other possibilities especially since the pop was “in his foot” not his heel or lower calf. Lisfranc injury comes to mind.

That was my first thought. That ended Decker's college career, right? Obviously he recovered and had a nice NFL career.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I was thinking they might even use Green a lot for mop up duty, just to reduce the risk of Morgan getting injured. Those Freshman probably aren’t going to be ready.

Seth was in a few throwing drills with the other QB's but not 7 on 7 or 11 on 11.

Seth was in a few throwing drills with the other QB's but not 7 on 7 or 11 on 11.

Seth should be getting some QB reps, as he is a QB. He's going to be taking snaps, handling the ball, and occasionally throwing. I don't think he is now the "shadow backup" -- it's one of the true freshmen -- but he will play a decent amount of QB this year in certain situations and packages like he did last year. That was likely true before ZA got hurt.

Seth should be getting some QB reps, as he is a QB. He's going to be taking snaps, handling the ball, and occasionally throwing. I don't think he is now the "shadow backup" -- it's one of the true freshmen -- but he will play a decent amount of QB this year in certain situations and packages like he did last year. That was likely true before ZA got hurt.

He wasn't getting QB reps at the open Spring practices, so seeing him with the QB group doing drills is different.

Bottom line- who gives the team the best chance to win if Morgan goes down? Green or one of the FR?

Early in the season, I would say Green. Now, if something happens in week #8 or #9, by then, maybe Clark can go in there and not soil his pants. All depends on how fast he picks things up - and how the coaches tailor the game plan to his strengths.

The secondary question - if Green does have to be the regular QB, is he running the regular offense, or some variation of the wildcat? If Green is the last man standing, I would think they would have to tone it down on his rushing attempts. They do have one or two other RB's who can play (or so I've heard).

Green has to take a few reps throwing to remain a passing threat as a wildcat QB. But there’s zero chance he’ll ever start at QB. It’ll be Clark or Kramer if Morgan goes down.

Don't know if this was brought up, but the "indefinitely" is coming from just the fact that they don't have a more definite timeline since he hasn't been thoroughly examined yet.

Per Gopher Illustrated:
What's the latest on Zack Annexstad's injury?

Minnesota head coach PJ Fleck: "Towards the end of practice yesterday, Zack suffered a non-contact injury. Zack threw the ball and felt a pop in his foot. The timeline is indefinitely because there's a time frame he could fit in that he could come back, wherever it is in the year, somehow someway. So I can't sit there and say he's out for the year, and I can't sit there and say he'll come back. We're still gaining a lot of information, and it's a serious injury."

It was a free article, so I don't feel bad capying this part to here.

Well, if it's a 3-month process, he could theoretically come back in November. at the very least, he could dress for four games as a backup/emergency QB without losing a year of eligibility.

Now, there's a story-line. Annexstad comes off the bench against Wisconsin and leads the game-winning drive.

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Green wasn't healthy during the spring and didn't practice at all.

That's right, he had a boot on, thanks for jogging my memory. I'll put it this way, until yesterday, I had not seen him take any snaps drill or practice with the QBs. Could be nothing, but found it interesting.

Green has to take a few reps throwing to remain a passing threat as a wildcat QB. But there’s zero chance he’ll ever start at QB. It’ll be Clark or Kramer if Morgan goes down.

Kramer would be a stretch, so Clark by default. Both are a big drop-off. Clark has a noticably long throwing motion, hope they work on it.

Top Bottom