Annexstad out indefinitely with foot injury

alltimetwinsfan

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Aug. 3, 2019

Zack Annexstad Out Indefinitely With Injury

University of Minnesota head football coach P.J. Fleck announced today that sophomore quarterback Zack Annexstad suffered a foot injury in practice yesterday and will be out indefinitely.

"Injuries are an unfortunate part of the game, and we feel terrible for Zack," Fleck said. "He worked extremely hard in the spring and summer to put himself in position to compete for the starting job, and I know he will recover from this setback to be even stronger. Zack is an elite teammate and person, and I look forward to him being an important part of the team as a leader while he is recovering."

Annexstad started the first seven games of the 2018 season and played in eight total. He was hampered by injuries during the second part of the year and ended his true freshman season with 97 completions for 1,277 yards and nine touchdowns.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Annexstad out with foot injury

According to Twitter, out indefinitely.

Annexstad out indefinitely with a foot injury

The Gophers announced quarterback Zack Annexstad will be out indefinitely after suffering a foot injury during Friday’s practice.

"Injuries are an unfortunate part of the game, and we feel terrible for Zack," Fleck said in a team statement. "He worked extremely hard in the spring and summer to put himself in position to compete for the starting job, and I know he will recover from this setback to be even stronger. Zack is an elite teammate and person, and I look forward to him being an important part of the team as a leader while he is recovering.”

Annexstad battled through injuries last year, while starting the first seven games for the Gophers. He finished 2018 with 1,277 yards and nine touchdowns, including a 52 percent completion percentage. The sophomore quarterback was showing tremendous progress this spring and looked poised for a breakout year.

Now, the entire landscape of the position has changed. Luckily, they have another quarterback in the room with real experience.

During fall camp, redshirt sophomore Tanner Morgan will likely take the majority of snaps with the first-team unit. In 2018, Morgan completed 89-of-152 passes for 1,401 yards and nine touchdowns. He led the Gophers to a 34-10 Quick Lane Bowl win over Georgia Tech and helped Minnesota claim Paul Bunyan’s Axe for the first time since 2004. Morgan showed accuracy in the intermediate game, flourished in the red zone and gave the team some flexibility out of read-option looks. He must improve his downfield passing skills, but schematic adjustments and a cast of weapons can help mask this area.

The Gophers will now be relying upon true freshmen Cole Kramer and Jacob Clark to develop quickly. We don’t know how long Annexstad will be out, so a young player will need to emerge as a backup candidate. Fleck said Tuesday that the two young quarterbacks would share snaps to gain experience in camp. Clark, a big-armed quarterback, ran a high school offense with similar conceptual wrinkles to Minnesota's. This will help his transition, but this spring, it was clear both passers were adjusting to the speed of the game. With no clear timetable for Annexstad's return, Minnesota will need one of them to be ready for snaps this season.

For an in-depth breakdown of Cole Kramer and Jacob Clark, here is my recruiting guide.

Last edited:

Yikes.

I guess that answers the question as to who will start game #1, but like most of us have said, we’re going to need both of them. Hopefully, he can come back at some point in the season. If not, one of the two Freshman will need to step it up.

This team has been unbelievably injury prone over the past few seasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bummer. Wonder if Green starts taking more snaps?

Well, I guess the only good news is Clark will get more reps!

Also...how tf does a 19 year old well conditioned athlete, who can’t be hit in practice, have a potentially season ending foot injury? Did he have injury issues in high school?

Also...how tf does a 19 year old well conditioned athlete, who can’t be hit in practice, have a potentially season ending foot injury? Did he have injury issues in high school?

Easy, big lineman steps on his foot, breaks a small bone. Freak injuries happen, remember Teddy B? Almost lost his leg merely dropping back untouched.

No.

Yes.

Morgan is now the starter. Kramer and Clark are backups. Any other silly, silly, silly questions?

Well this is kinda the dumbest post I’ve seen. If Kramer and Clark are Victor Viramontes kinda ready then they shouldn’t be relied on.

Someone suggested redshirting ZA the other day. Looks like that may happen after all. Morgan was a 4 year starter in high school, and I’m not aware of any significant injury history, so maybe we can make it through the season without needing a significant contribution from the backups.

Someone suggested redshirting ZA the other day. Looks like that may happen after all. Morgan was a 4 year starter in high school, and I’m not aware of any significant injury history, so maybe we can make it through the season without needing a significant contribution from the backups.

Zach can still play in four games if needed.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

No injuries are ever good, but the one positive will be that your starting QB will get many more reps with the 1s than he would have. Repetition and familiarity is a good thing.

Teddy Bridgewater suffered a knee injury so bad during walkthroughs in shorts that it usually is only seen in severe car crashes. It's Minnesota, man.

Well this is kinda the dumbest post I’ve seen. If Kramer and Clark are Victor Viramontes kinda ready then they shouldn’t be relied on.
It is what it is, good think you can play four games and maintain a red shirt

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hey Mods - can we combine the "Annexstad out with injury" threads? As of now, I count three of them.

Well, that sucks. An injury to TM and we are probably in deep weeds.

Unless the injury requires surgery and months of recovery still conceivable he plays or is available relatively early or midway in the season. Keep in mind he got the start on one good leg for 2 or 3 games last season... Time will tell how severe this is.

They will be, at least 4 games, maybe each. It’s a different ballgame now. There are infinitely more options now.

Green will likely not play anymore regularly than he has, barring injury to Morgan.

Thinking is pre-post, post is not pre-thinking.

I was always of the mind that Tanner was the best pick, but still this sucks. Hurts depth and perhaps ZA was going to win the job. Let's hope it isn't major...there's still 2 months before Big Ten.

The way they are talking about this sounds season ending. Must have been something like a severe ankle injury with dislocation, or broken bones. Gonna be deep into the season if at all before he’s back.

Expect 6 to 12 weeks just to heal, which is a lot of play. Depends if there is also a dislocation. We’ll know more in a couple of days.

And this is why having a QB competition isn’t a bad thing. Both Kramer and Clark should take note. They are always one or two injuries away from being the starter..

They will be, at least 4 games, maybe each. It’s a different ballgame now. There are <b>infinitely more </b>options now.

Infinitely? Well, that is just a silly, silly, silly claim.

This isn’t the nfl, you can’t just sign other options whenever you want.

Top Bottom