Georgia Southern suspends starting QB (coke) and DE (4 felonies)

If it wasn’t for those dang felonies they would have beat us. Now we can rest easy...

Whoa swingman's Google Alert finally caught a big fish. The Georgia Powdered Striper!

I’d like to know how the coke stuck to the hood and windshield...that’s a new one

There is a lot missing from that story, but as it stands Werts is back in Statesboro getting immediately drug tested of his own volition (from what I've heard). The whole situation is weird to be honest.

1. Werts was in the process of committing a drug-related crime and actively called 911 himself? That just seems odd.
2. The police officer felt the need to ARREST him for doing 20 over? That also seems weird.
3. After Werts had called dispatch and was given the green light to drive into town where it was more well lit, two other officers forced him to stop short of town? Also fishy.
4. The guy who took the samples admitted that he didn't have the proper tools to collect the samples from the hood of his car - so there are the chances that evidence gets thrown out anyway.

We wont know for a few weeks but we will see. The Defensive End on the other hand appears to have gotten arrested back home with his brothers so who knows what he got himself into.

I saw that he offered to take a drug test, but wasn’t aware that it was actually taking place today?

It is definitely a weird story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw that he offered to take a drug test, but wasn’t aware that it was actually taking place today?

It is definitely a weird story.

The last part that has baffled local attorneys (at least the ones willing to comment on the story) is why on earth the officers on the scene wouldn't have torn apart that vehicle after reportedly finding cocaine on the hood. According to the report the inside of the vehicle was never searched.

Cocaine stays in the system for up to 2-3 days. He might want to wait a couple more days to be tested, just to be sure.

My guess is they’ll drop the possession charge, but he still might get suspended by the team.

I'm just surprised this wasn't a Nebraska story.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I’ll never understand why someone riding dirty fails to have the least bit of common sense and will go 20 over, fail to stop, have burned out taillights or headlights, etc ad naseum.

The Bible verse tat is nice. Sorry Talon Nation. What’s the backup situation?

There is a lot missing from that story, but as it stands Werts is back in Statesboro getting immediately drug tested of his own volition (from what I've heard). The whole situation is weird to be honest.

1. Werts was in the process of committing a drug-related crime and actively called 911 himself? That just seems odd.
2. The police officer felt the need to ARREST him for doing 20 over? That also seems weird.
3. After Werts had called dispatch and was given the green light to drive into town where it was more well lit, two other officers forced him to stop short of town? Also fishy.
4. The guy who took the samples admitted that he didn't have the proper tools to collect the samples from the hood of his car - so there are the chances that evidence gets thrown out anyway.

We wont know for a few weeks but we will see. The Defensive End on the other hand appears to have gotten arrested back home with his brothers so who knows what he got himself into.

Ok, this is a weird interpretation of the facts at hand.

The police officer did not feel the need to arrest him for doing 20 over, the police officer felt the need to pull him over. I don't think there is anything strange about that.
It was very strange for Werts to call 911, but that is likely because he wanted to explain why he was biding his time (trying to get rid of the cocaine). The car is likely registered in his name or a family member's name, so he wasn't just going to peel off.
Werts taking a drug test is meaningless (and he knows this), it's out of your system in ~24 hours.

This whole thing will likely be settled out. He doesn't seem like he has been in a lot of trouble before and this wasn't a violent crime or distributing situation. So I'd guess he gets a slap on the wrist (as I believe he probably should) and GSU suspends him for 2-3 games.

It probably depends on the coach and the institution, as always, unless there are rigid guidelines. Clemson for example is relatively soft even on repeated positive drug tests. Does his position as a leader of the team/quarterback make it more or less likely he gets a 1,2,3 game or season suspension. The coach is making his way up, hasn’t hit a big payday at a power 5 yet. He has incentive to play him as soon as possible if there isn’t a viable backup. Personally I’d rather play GSU at full capacity but cocaine possession and/distribution is a major character defect and a big deal.

Werts was originally put into cuffs under arrest for speeding. Wasnt until after that moment they began asking him questions about the stuff on the hood of his car. Obviously I'm a homer but I think hes innocent of any drug crimes and shouldn't receive any sort of suspension.

The other guy who got arrested last week though is probably screwed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Werts was originally put into cuffs under arrest for speeding. Wasnt until after that moment they began asking him questions about the stuff on the hood of his car. Obviously I'm a homer but I think hes innocent of any drug crimes and shouldn't receive any sort of suspension.

The other guy who got arrested last week though is probably screwed.

His attempting to evade the police, and also his refusal to pull over for several miles probably resulted in being put into cuffs. He’s fortunate there weren’t additional charges.

Cocaine stays in the system for up to 2-3 days. He might want to wait a couple more days to be tested, just to be sure.

My guess is they’ll drop the possession charge, but he still might get suspended by the team.

He might have just picked up his stuff. I think it’s kind of an expensive drug for college students. I know a case of returnable bottles was a splurge for me.

He might have just picked up his stuff. I think it’s kind of an expensive drug for college students. I know a case of returnable bottles was a splurge for me.

Red White & Blue or Black Label?

His attempting to evade the police, and also his refusal to pull over for several miles probably resulted in being put into cuffs. He’s fortunate there weren’t additional charges.

Could still get charged with evading I would think. He didn't stop when he got into town as he said he would.

I mean there was nothing else to charge him for. The officer hadn't flashed lights yet when Werts turned off the road so even though he was "trying" to evade he technically didnt by the letter of the law.

Also he had received permission from dispatch to wait until he arrived in city limits to pull over. So I think hes fine there too. I just think the police were annoyed.

It's all speculation at this point anyway until the tests come back.

I mean there was nothing else to charge him for. The officer hadn't flashed lights yet when Werts turned off the road so even though he was "trying" to evade he technically didnt by the letter of the law.

Also he had received permission from dispatch to wait until he arrived in city limits to pull over. So I think hes fine there too. I just think the police were annoyed.

That’s definitely a homer take, right there. I sure as hell would have cuffed him, and I’ll bet you would have too.

Which he did not do.

Top Bottom