Georgia Southern suspends starting QB (coke) and DE (4 felonies)

<b>Werts was originally put into cuffs under arrest for speeding. Wasnt until after that moment they began asking him questions about the stuff on the hood of his car. </b>Obviously I'm a homer but I think hes innocent of any drug crimes and shouldn't receive any sort of suspension.

The other guy who got arrested last week though is probably screwed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You don’t think refusing to pull over had any impact on the situation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will have to retract my GSU 9-3 or 10-2 regular season W/L record because of what 2 Gopher posters put on the GSU vs Gopher thread.

They are both EVIL for doing so - EVIL, Evil, evil - I say.

GSUsTALONGSU QBs after Werts

QB2 ,Jalon Frazier, So,
QB3, Justin Tomlin, Fr.

I think TALON is going to squirt a tear right this very second, hold on, - OK I"M OVER IT NOW!
:cool:
Some of you are looking up GSU articles. I see! That makes me feel better and more wanted on this board.:cool:

GSUsTALON - I was also impressed with Wert's last year. The HC said he had made great strides in reading the defense for the ground game and passing game after Spring practice. If Werts is out for the first 3 games or year I think GSU has a long hard road in front of them, yet not so much with our defensive end!:cry:

247sports report

Georgia Southern announced the suspension of starting quarterback Shai Werts and starting defensive end Quan Griffin because of arrests last week. Both players face indefinite suspensions, meaning they are either out for the opener against LSU or will not have a full training camp to prepare if reinstated.

“In keeping with our student-athlete Code of Conduct, Georgia Southern University suspended quarterback Shai Werts and defensive Anquan Griffin, from all football-related operations and after we received information that the two were recently arrested in separate incidents this week,” coach Chad Lunsford announced, via WJCL reporter Frank Sulkowski. “Shai was arrested Wednesday in South Carolina during a traffic stop. It is our understanding he was charged with speed and misdemeanor possession of cocaine after some residue was discovered on the hood of the car. Quan was arrested yesterday in Baker County, Fla. It is our understanding he was charged in conjunction with a domestic dispute. The suspensions are in place to protect Shai, Quan and the university.”

Last edited:

You don’t think refusing to pull over had any impact on the situation?

He was given permission by dispatch to drive several miles into town before pulling over. He was a young black male in the middle of nowhere SC on a 2 lane highway at night. The cop behind him was told Shai had permission to keep driving. Shai even put on his freaking hazards to tip the cop off that something wasn't normal, it's not like he slammed the gas and tried to escape.

Again the situation is just weird. What cop discovers cocaine on the car and doesn't then immediately search the rest of the vehicle? Seem to be a lot of missing pieces to the story.

He was given permission by dispatch to drive several miles into town before pulling over. He was a young black male in the middle of nowhere SC on a 2 lane highway at night. The cop behind him was told Shai had permission to keep driving. Shai even put on his freaking hazards to tip the cop off that something wasn't normal, it's not like he slammed the gas and tried to escape.

Again the situation is just weird. What cop discovers cocaine on the car and doesn't then immediately search the rest of the vehicle? Seem to be a lot of missing pieces to the story.

We don’t know that they didn’t search the vehicle. They said nothing was found in the vehicle, which leads me to believe they did search, to some degree.

Who in the hell drives around with cocaine on their hood and windshield, and what logical explanations can you think of to explain it, if it wasn’t his? Someone randomly threw it on there? Who does that?

But, like I said earlier, I seriously doubt they’ll be able to convict him on the possession charges.

EDIT: I don’t care whether 911 gave him permission to not pull over. What else are they going to do? Being black is not a reasonable excuse. That’s a slippery slope, if we’re going to start allowing people to fail to obey police due to their race.

Last edited:

Again, he didn't pull over in town as he said he would. So maybe he had permission to drive into town, but then did not pull over.

Again, he didn't pull over in town as he said he would. So maybe he had permission to drive into town, but then did not pull over.

OK!

I know you are hopeful that our 1st string QB doesn't make the game and maybe he shouldn't. Still I think our defense will slow you down enough to let our 2nd string take over'.

Party on Gophers until you meet your doom!:cool:

I know you are hopeful that our 1st string QB doesn't make the game and maybe he shouldn't. Still I think our defense will slow you down enough to let our 2nd string take over'.

It won't matter either way.

Honestly, I'm not worried either way

You've been fun poster, but GSU is bottom 3 of concern

I want the best players possible on the field. Doesn't do us much good to play too weak of a team.

We don’t know that they didn’t search the vehicle. They said nothing was found in the vehicle, which leads me to believe they did search, to some degree.

Who in the hell drives around with cocaine on their hood and windshield, and what logical explanations can you think of to explain it, if it wasn’t his? Someone randomly threw it on there? Who does that?

But, like I said earlier, I seriously doubt they’ll be able to convict him on the possession charges.

**** I don’t care whether 911 gave him permission to not pull over. What else are they going to do? Being black is not a reasonable excuse. That’s a slippery slope, if we’re going to start allowing people to fail to obey police due to their race.

* TALON -You ultimately have to pull over. This was mainly pushed by women who didn't want to pull over immediately on a dark road especially if it was an unmarked car with only internal flashing lights. I have not looked at the law but I think the person being pulled over has to a slow down, signal the officer by hand gestor or emergency lights and pull into the first lighted inhabited area like a gas station.

A State Patrol officer pulled me over in Orlando. I signaled him by hand and slowed down. When I pulled over he asked me why I took so long to do so. I told the officer that I waited until their was enough room on the off ramp to give him room to get out of his car safely. He thanked me and I was not ticked.

Last edited:

Regardless of what happens the worst Werts will likely receive at this point is a one game suspension (per the student code of conduct). Best case scenario is his lawyer gets the charges dropped or the bird poop in the lab gets confirmed as bird poop before we play LSU at the end of the month. That's a likely L anyway so it wouldn't be the end of the world if Shai can't play that game.

It doesn’t really matter to me whether he plays in our game or not, but a drug test 3-4 days later for cocaine isn’t conclusive. Depending on the source, it’s out of the system within 24-48 hours. Furthermore, if someone is in possession of an illegal substance, it doesn’t matter whether it’s in their system, or whether they are even a drug user. It’s still a crime.

Regardless of what happens the worst Werts will likely receive at this point is a one game suspension (per the student code of conduct).

Pretty tough student code of conduct at GaSo if 1-game is the worst regardless of what he could be charged with in this case.

It doesn’t really matter to me whether he plays in our game or not, but a drug test 3-4 days later for cocaine isn’t conclusive. Depending on the source, it’s out of the system within 24-48 hours.

Many drugs can enter hair follicles and enter the hair itself. Does coke?

I will have to retract my GSU 9-3 or 10-2 regular season W/L record because of what 2 Gopher posters put on the GSU vs Gopher thread.

They are both EVIL for doing so - EVIL, Evil, evil - I say.

It appears that I can retract my retraction.

LOL! That suspension didn't last long.

It doesn’t really matter to me whether he plays in our game or not, but a drug test 3-4 days later for cocaine isn’t conclusive. Depending on the source, it’s out of the system within 24-48 hours. Furthermore, if someone is in possession of an illegal substance, it doesn’t matter whether it’s in their system, or whether they are even a drug user. It’s still a crime.

That's just it. He wasn't in "possession" of anything it was on the hood of his car. If in fact it was even cocaine.

At least that's the story the defense attorney will probably use.

And 1 game is the minimum suspension in the conduct code. But without having hard proof I doubt he gets longer. That's 100% my opinion though.

Last edited:

That's just it. He wasn't in "possession" of anything it was on the hood of his car. If in fact it was even cocaine.
And 1 game is the minimum suspension in the conduct code. But without having hard proof I doubt he gets longer. That's 100% my opinion though.

So what are you saying Toasty? Does Werts get to beat the Gophers or does GSUs 2nd string QB get that honor?:cool:

I mean, unless it was raining that night a wet, white paste on the car that tests positive for cocaine and some white powder residual around the nozzles and windshield only leads to one plausible conclusion. Unless you’re a GSU fan or convinced the police are at war with the black community.

I mean, unless it was raining that night a wet, white paste on the car that tests positive for cocaine and some white powder residual around the nozzles and windshield only leads to one plausible conclusion. Unless you’re a GSU fan or convinced the police are at war with the black community.

Why not both?

yeah same as if you whip it out of your car prior to being stopped and the police find it in the vicinity. They clearly can't charge you with it in this circumstance. /s

You have a very colored view of this. If it was coke and was on his car and he does not have a definitive explanation for how it got there, he could be charged for it. It's his vehicle. Same as if you have heroin strapped under it and try roll with the "it's not mine" line.

Full police report. An interesting read

https://htv-prod-media.s3.amazonaws.com/files/saluda-report-1564776745.pdf

I know this was in South Carolina, but not pulling over on the side of a highway at night is pretty common in a lot of countries for obvious reasons, and frankly, that part of South Carolina isn't far off from operating like third world country.
I know he's a guy, but if I had a daughter, I would tell her to to do the same thing.
And frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of black families teach their kids to do this as well, especially after the spate of 'incidents' over the past few years.

My initial thought on reading this was the the officer was offended and filed a trumped up charge, but I wasn't there.

Last edited:

Top Bottom