STrib: Pitino making "big changes" to offense this summer to improve 3-point shooting

BleedGopher

Reaction score
STrib: Pitino making "big changes" to offense this summer to improve 3-point shooting

per Marcus:

Every four years, the NCAA allows college basketball teams to take foreign tours and have 10 practices preparing for the trip. That gives coaches the perfect opportunity to implement changes to their system.

Richard Pitino wants to figure out of how to take advantage of having better shooters on his Gophers roster now. The upcoming trip to Italy this summer gives him that chance.

“We have had six practices and this team feels totally different,” Pitino wrote on a blog Tuesday. “The goal from an offensive stand point is to have at least four if not five players who can shoot the 3 on the court all the time. I think this roster has that. Our three-point shooting will be substantially improved. I have really tinkered with the offense and think it's been looking good. It will be fun to see how it all evolves.”

The Gophers won 22 games and reached the NCAA tournament second round last season. Obviously, they were doing something right, but three-point shooting wasn’t it.

They finished the 2018-19 season as one of the worst teams nationally at getting it done beyond the arc. The Gophers ranked 344th in threes per game (5.3) and 347th out of 354 teams in percentage of points from threes (22.5). Even when taking shots from long distance, Minnesota converted just 31.7 percent (300th nationally) from three – even worse when taking out Gabe Kalscheur’s numbers (27.5 percent).

http://www.startribune.com/pitino-m...summer-to-improve-3-point-shooting/513455832/

Go Gophers!!

Not a lot of urgency out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched the video for five minutes and Hurt never made a single 3 pointer.
:)

I watched the video for five minutes and Hurt never made a single 3 pointer.
:)

Lol I assume this is a joke because of the smiley face, but did you actually watch the video on a loop for 5 minutes without realizing it is a 12 second video?

Not a lot of urgency out there

Doesn’t look like an organized drill, so we could assume it is after practice. Part of the gym rat mentality.

Nice plan increase role of 3pt shot...right after new rule increasing the difficulty of it enacted

Nice plan increase role of 3pt shot...right after new rule increasing the difficulty of it enacted

Agreed. We will have more/better three point shooters this year, so it only makes sense to shoot more 3s.

Doesn’t look like an organized drill, so we could assume it is after practice. Part of the gym rat mentality.

T’Was only joking. Just for the record.

Lol I assume this is a joke because of the smiley face, but did you actually watch the video on a loop for 5 minutes without realizing it is a 12 second video?

I pretty much always look at the length of a video before I get involved. But I had watched it about 3-4 times when I decided to put on an act.

I pretty much always look at the length of a video before I get involved. But I had watched it about 3-4 times when I decided to put on an act.

Bleed post this article in another thread about Ihnan : https://www.inforum.com/sports/basketball/4050331-Isaiah-Ihnen-shows-spark-among-many-new-Gopher-basketball-players

Pitino talks a little more about the changes:

“With Murphy, he’s such a unique player that you had to play more high-low basketball,” Pitino said. “When you can space the court with four guys (that can shoot) and then make it five, it opens up driving lanes, it spreads the defense out. … The personnel lends itself (this season) to that a little bit more.

“Now, we may not be as good of a rebounding team. We might not be as good of a defensive team. Those are things we will probably have to work on.”

Top Bottom