Nebraska 12/1 odds of making the playoffs - 247

The article says the opened at 6/1. How could literally anyone take that bet sober?

The article says the opened at 6/1. How could literally anyone take that bet sober?

I guarantee there are plenty of delusional Nebraska fans that would take that action. The ones that have not yet accepted that Nebraska is no longer one of the top teams in college football.

I guarantee there are plenty of delusional Nebraska fans that would take that action. The ones that have not yet accepted that Nebraska is no longer one of the top teams in college football.

No Nebraska fans think that we are one of the top teams in college football. That ended in Pelinis tenure.

No Nebraska fans think that we are one of the top teams in college football. That ended in Pelinis tenure.

False. I know several Husker fans who think they are a top 10 team this year.

So once you get beyond Clemson and Alabama... you get Georgia, Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio State and Texas.

I'm genuinely curious to know what Gopher Hole thinks: is anyone here really very impressed with any team beyond the Big Two?

I mean, we played Ohio State last year, with Urban Meyer still at head coach and with Robb Smith still running our defense. We played them at the Horseshoe. I was not overwhelmingly impressed with them back then — I thought we gave them all they could handle. And without Urban Meyer and without Dwayne Haskins, I fully expect them to take a step back in 2019.

Really — what does everyone else think about the contenders, beyond the Big Two?

So once you get beyond Clemson and Alabama... you get Georgia, Oklahoma, Michigan, Ohio State and Texas.

I'm genuinely curious to know what Gopher Hole thinks: is anyone here really very impressed with any team beyond the Big Two?

I mean, we played Ohio State last year, with Urban Meyer still at head coach and with Robb Smith still running our defense. We played them at the Horseshoe. I was not overwhelmingly impressed with them back then — I thought we gave them all they could handle. And without Urban Meyer and without Dwayne Haskins, I fully expect them to take a step back in 2019.

Really — what does everyone else think about the contenders, beyond the Big Two?

I think those are a legit second tier.

I'm not sold on Texas, but the others I'm fine with.

I think those are a legit second tier.

I'm not sold on Texas, but the others I'm fine with.

I know this is a difficult question to answer, but in your opinion how far ahead of Minnesota, right now, is a team like, say, Texas?

If Minnesota played Texas, what would you say about the Gophers' chances?

I know this is a difficult question to answer, but in your opinion how far ahead of Minnesota, right now, is a team like, say, Texas?

If Minnesota played Texas, what would you say about the Gophers' chances?

I think Texas is a bad example. Only been ranked twice in the last nine years.

Nebraska will be a disappointment...for Nebraska fans.

Being in the 2nd tier of programs behind Clemson and Bama, grouped in with Ga, Okla, Mich, OSU. In reponse to post #6.

So... you're disagreeing with the linked article (Post #1) which has Texas ranked 8th based on odds to make the playoffs?

I guess I'm confused... I was asking a specific poster a question about a hypothetical matchup — Minnesota vs. Texas, based on the article having Texas with the 8th best odds to make the playoff.

Still not clear on what is a 'bad example'.

Last edited:

So... you're disagreeing with the linked article (Post #1) which has Texas ranked 8th in their 'odds to make the playoff' poll? I'm confused...

Agree with post #7. Would not consider TX as part of that next group of elite programs.

I still don't get why folks seem to be so much higher on Scott Frost than PJ Fleck? They basically accomplished the same peak levels of mid-major success, only Fleck did it in a much harder locale (Kalamazoo vs Orlando)

That can be the only reason. Minnesota was better in 2018, H2H notwithstanding. Virtually every 2019 statistical model favors the Gophers to be better than Nebraska. FPI, S&P+, and a composite at Massey. They have nearly identical schedules -- Nebraska's is slightly harder because OSU and having to come here.

Right now Minnesota has the same natty odds (500-1) as Marshall, Kansas, UMass, and North Texas, among others. Nebraska is 33-1, the same as Notre Dame, Washington, and Auburn. (using a composite at OddsShark as a source)

Last edited:

I think there are some analogies with TCU a few years back.

TCU 2013 4-8 with a number of close losses.
TCU 2014 12-1 with their one loss in a ridiculous shoot out with offensive juggernaut Baylor. Remember when Baylor was really good...?

Trevone Boykin made a huge leap in 2014, Nebraska had a freshman phenom in Martinez who will be even better going forward. I suppose their big question marks would include at minimum WR, defense, OL. Missing Connelly’s breakdowns.

TCU 2014 12-1 with their one loss in a ridiculous shoot out with offensive juggernaut Baylor. Remember when Baylor was really good...?

Trevone Boykin made a huge leap in 2014, Nebraska had a freshman phenom in Martinez who will be even better going forward. I suppose their big question marks would include at minimum WR, defense, OL. Missing Connelly’s breakdowns.

You just said the big question marks are: and then listed like 18 positions

Best part of this bet would be that Nebraska could go undefeated in the regular season and get passed over for a 2 loss SEC team for the playoff.

I know that no analogy is perfect, but TCU's down years were a blip.

They were undefeated (13-0), Rose Bowl Champs, and ranked #2 at the end of the season in 2010.
In 2011, they went 11-2.
They were down in 2012 and 2013 and then got really good again.

Their 2013 had a number of close losses to really good teams. Nebraska had a close loss to Ohio State, a bunch of bad losses, and some close losses to meh teams.

Best part of this bet would be that Nebraska could go undefeated in the regular season and get passed over for a 2 loss SEC team for the playoff.

It would (and likely should) happen to a 1 loss Nebraska team.

I sure miss him. The Pelini Bingo. Faux Pelini. the spitting. The telling the AD off in front of the team. The blaming losses on walk-ons. He was a treat...

I know that no analogy is perfect, but TCU's down years were a blip.

They were undefeated (13-0), Rose Bowl Champs, and ranked #2 at the end of the season in 2010.
In 2011, they went 11-2.
They were down in 2012 and 2013 and then got really good again.

Their 2013 had a number of close losses to really good teams. Nebraska had a close loss to Ohio State, a bunch of bad losses, and some close losses to meh teams.

Is it fair to say Nebraska has grossly underperformed their talent level the last couple years? Simply saying they were better than their record by the end of 2018 and it would be kind of foolish to think they’ll stay down with Frost and Martinez returning.

Top Bottom