Miles Fleming Commits to Gophers!

Go F yourself. That isn’t even my larger point. Adding one player slightly below the average may lower the average, but it doesn’t “weaken the class.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to understand that many folks in here will still argue Brewster was a great recruiter here. Never mind that many of his players didn’t qualify, enroll, last, or fit - his ranking was high. Rankings in the range we always sit (~30-50) have basically been debunked on here, but we still pretend every fraction of a point matters. High 3 star, Low 3-star, .86664, 0.86663, etc. etc. Passes the time in the offseason, I guess.

Great Add. Love this quote from 247's "Top Performers: Best of the Midwest Combine" wrap up:

"Columbus (Ohio) Bishop Hartley athlete Miles Fleming began his day with a 4.46 40-yard dash, among the fastest of the day before throwing a consistent and accurate football going through position drills and 1-on-1s. Fleming then used his speed to torch defensive backs and projects as a receiver or cornerback on the next level. The camp staff named him overall MVP of the event as well."

Welcome to the crew Miles, glad your part of the rowing team :clap:

You have to understand that many folks in here will still argue Brewster was a great recruiter here. Never mind that many of his players didn’t qualify, enroll, last, or fit - his ranking was high. Rankings in the range we always sit (~30-50) have basically been debunked on here, but we still pretend every fraction of a point matters. High 3 star, Low 3-star, .86664, 0.86663, etc. etc. Passes the time in the offseason, I guess.

Yeah, I get it. His ranking isn’t even comparatively low for this class. He’s 13th of 23. There are some below him that several Gopherholers were excited about. The average is .8533 and his is .8477. I can’t believe anyone cares about .0066 below the average for a kid the coaching staff believes in. I’ll trust Rossi’s evaluation over 247’s.

There is no legitimate study that shows the injury rate on kick returns is any higher than on any other play.

Only because all the studies that show higher injury rates on kickoff returns, you pretend aren’t legitimate because .... you’re an old blowhard.

It took a historically great instate class for the Kill/Claeys regime to crack the top 50. They never finished top 50 other than 2016. It's funny how people pretend that recruiting hasn't improved quite a bit.

Based on what I’m seeing, Rossi recruited him, and has known him for a while. Burns said Rossi wanted him badly. The kid seems like a class act, from what I can tell. He runs a 10.8 100 meters. Not quite as fast as Terell Smith, but fast enough.

10.8 is quick. That would be 1st place in MN track n field most years.

Great Add. Love this quote from 247's "Top Performers: Best of the Midwest Combine" wrap up:

"Columbus (Ohio) Bishop Hartley athlete Miles Fleming began his day with a 4.46 40-yard dash, among the fastest of the day before throwing a consistent and accurate football going through position drills and 1-on-1s. Fleming then used his speed to torch defensive backs and projects as a receiver or cornerback on the next level. The camp staff named him overall MVP of the event as well."

Welcome to the crew Miles, glad your part of the rowing team :clap:

They probably don't want him at quarterback, but that paragraph makes him sound like a Denard Robinson with a better arm.

It took a historically great instate class for the Kill/Claeys regime to crack the top 50. They never finished top 50 other than 2016. It's funny how people pretend that recruiting hasn't improved quite a bit.

Because in-state players (particularly "historically great" ones) are basically locks to sign here, right? Therefore, Claeys gets no credit, because anyone could have done that.

Right here is where I could probably point out that Claeys signed the #1 MN recruit in 2016 (per 247 Comprehensive) as well as 6 of the top 9. Fleck did sign the #1 MN recruit in 2017 (Blaise Andries, who committed to Claeys almost 9 months before Fleck arrived), but didn't do so in 2018 or 2019. He could make it 3 straight misses if Kaden Johnson doesn't sign here.

But yes, recruiting has improved a ton - all the way from 46th in 2016 under Claeys to 45th in 2019 under Fleck. That one-spot improvement was miraculous.

10.8 is quick. That would be 1st place in MN track n field most years.

Yeah, I am kind of excited about this guy. I think an under the radar sort of player who could blow up this year. I love these kids who play QB in HS because they are the best kid on their team.

Because in-state players (particularly "historically great" ones) are basically locks to sign here, right? Therefore, Claeys gets no credit, because anyone could have done that.

Right here is where I could probably point out that Claeys signed the #1 MN recruit in 2016 (per 247 Comprehensive) as well as 6 of the top 9. Fleck did sign the #1 MN recruit in 2017 (Blaise Andries, who committed to Claeys almost 9 months before Fleck arrived), but didn't do so in 2018 or 2019. He could make it 3 straight misses if Kaden Johnson doesn't sign here.

But yes, recruiting has improved a ton - all the way from 46th in 2016 under Claeys to 45th in 2019 under Fleck. That one-spot improvement was miraculous.

Yup. Bottom line is wins matter. I don't care if you have the 100th ranked class 6 years in a row and can win ten games. Fleck needs to win some games. I think that he will.

New commit today?

The MN HS state record in the 100 M is 10.49. Terell Smith’s PR is 10.39. He’s fast.

The MN class A record is 10.81
The national HS record is 10.15

2018 MN state champs: Class AA: 11.04. Class A: 11.11. They were running into the wind.

Last edited:

The MN HS state record in the 100 M is 10.49. Terell Smith’s PR is 10.39. He’s fast.

The MN class A record is 10.81
The national HS record is 10.15

2018 MN state champs: Class AA: 11.04. Class A: 11.11. They were running into the wind.

OK I am confused. Are we all agreeing he is fast or are we having petty message board feuds about exactly what someone else said possibly not being 100% correct?

New commit today?

Don’t think anyone asserts that recruiting isn’t better for the last two signed classes and prelim for the next class than a 3 year span in recent memory.

Last edited:

New commit today?

OK I am confused. Are we all agreeing he is fast or are we having petty message board feuds about exactly what someone else said possibly not being 100% correct?

No agenda. I just felt like posting it.

Anyway....if CB doesn’t work out, perhaps he can take over the wildcat QB after Seth leaves. It’s obviously a different running style, but impressive. I definitely think he’ll be returning punts, unless he can’t catch.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7994227/5bf2298b0c54fa07f47ba56d

No agenda. I just felt like posting it.

Anyway....if CB doesn’t work out, perhaps he can take over the wildcat QB after Seth leaves. It’s obviously a different running style, but impressive. I definitely think he’ll be returning punts, unless he can’t catch.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7994227/5bf2298b0c54fa07f47ba56d

OK. So he is fast. He is state 1A all-time record holder. 2A he needs a little work if the wind is with him.

Some 100 meter comparisons that I could find.

Terrell Smith: 10:32
Devin Crawford Tufts: 10:50
Berkley Edwards: 10:52
Jalen Myrick: 10:61 (4.28 combine 40)
Kiante Hardin: 10:67
Kiondre Thomas: 10:79
Brock Vereen: 10:89 (4.47 NFL combine 40)
Desmond Gant: 10:98
Solomon Brown: 10:99
Jason Williamson: 11:10
Treyson Potts: 11:14
Philip Howard: 11:22
Coney Durr: 11:24
Cam Wiley: 11:26
Antonio Shenault 11:31
Jornell Brooks: 11:43

Last edited:

New commit today?

^

Nice list. Here’s one more.

Our top 2020 commit, 4 star Daniel Jackson: 11.56 PR. 247 has him down for a 4.5 40.

Too bad Bateman didn’t run track. We don’t really know how fast he is.

Some 100 meter comparisons that I could find.

Terrell Smith: 10:32
Devin Crawford Tufts: 10:50
Berkley Edwards: 10:52
Jalen Myrick: 10:61 (4.28 combine 40)
Kiante Hardin: 10:67
Kiondre Thomas: 10:79
Brock Vereen: 10:89 (4.47 NFL combine 40)
Desmond Gant: 10:98
Solomon Brown: 10:99
Jason Williamson: 11:10
Treyson Potts: 11:14
Philip Howard: 11:22
Coney Durr: 11:24
Cam Wiley: 11:26
Antonio Shenault 11:31
Jornell Brooks: 11:43
+1 on the nice list. Thanks for compiling and sharing!

Weird how you didn't mention the top player in 2018 didn't receive an offer from Minnesota even after camping. I don't know anyone on the planet could define that as a recruiting miss but then again your agenda is clear.

Last edited:

PJ is recruiting great. Not sure I have seen anyone challenge that. It would be hard to miss the talent he has put on the field.

If you think rankings are the tell all on how well someone recruited you are really missing the boat. You are like 5 miles from the dock. Not only with Kill, but with PJ too.

No they haven't. You constantly make stuff up about this subject even after being proven wrong so many times.

No they haven't. You constantly make stuff up about this subject even after being proven wrong so many times.

Are you going to run the #s again using just the Gophers in one year with talent rankings? What you consider proof is really noise.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Are you going to run the #s again using just the Gophers in one year with talent rankings? What you consider proof is really noise.

That's not what I did at all previously. More lies from you.

We're flipping Julian Fleming.

/s

Man I was close ;)

roz-toot-your-own-horn.jpg

One factor missing from this is the W-L state of the program going into those recruiting seasons, as that ultimately plays a significant part in recruits’ minds. Fleck hasn’t had much to work with there. And I would say he was starting from zero his first recruiting season (right when he got here).

PJ is recruiting great. Not sure I have seen anyone challenge that. It would be hard to miss the talent he has put on the field.

If you think rankings are the tell all on how well someone recruited you are really missing the boat. You are like 5 miles from the dock. Not only with Kill, but with PJ too.

Well said.

The biggest change in recruiting from Kill/Claeys to Fleck is seen on the offer sheet of the recruits. In general we are signing a lot more guys with other power 5 and especially other Big Ten offers then we did under the previous regime. Whether or not that will translate into more wins on the field remains to be seen but I like our chances of competing with other BIG teams when we are filling our roster with players they were after as well.

Some people still get way too wrapped up in the numbers and stars next to a kids name. There is value in the recruiting sites but it is physically impossible for them to get an accurate read on every player.

Yet they won eight plus games three times and went to a new year's day bowl. also Jerry and co did a great job of keeping the top in state talent home, hopefully PJ can rebuild that wall with more success. Games are played on the field, not on recruiting sites. With that being said I like the pieces Fleck is putting on the chess board. Out state recruiting has improved and is better than ever, talent needs to mature and take the next step

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom