Banks: P.J. Fleck Still Has Massive Impact on NIU Huskies Program Today

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Banks:

This fall will see Thomas Hammock commence his head coaching career at Northern Illinois University, while P.J. Fleck begins his second year at Minnesota. The two men played college ball together at NIU, and both left a tremendous imprint upon the program.

Fleck owns the school record for career punt returns (87), is second in punt return yards (716), third in career catches (179) and fourth in receiving yards (2,162). Hammock is the school’s 13th all-time leading rusher.

“The ’99 class is a big reason why NIU is where they are now,” the first year head coach said at the Chicago edition of NIU Media Day. “I believe that.”

Fleck has a very loud, extremely fast-talking style of public presentation that commands a lot of attention, and sometimes arouses suspicion. Hammock ensures everybody at Media Day today that P.J. Fleck is the genuine article.

“P.J. is who he is,” Hammock continued. “Just be because this is the first time you guys (mainstream college football media) have seen it, but when we were freshman walking into the program together in 1999, he was the same person.”

“He’s got it rolling,” Hammock said, before bringing up his time at Minnesota, and also his career with the Gophers’ chief rival.

“They beat Wisconsin for the first time in 15 years, I was at Minnesota and we couldn’t get it done, I had to go to Wisconsin, but he went up there and got it done. He’s recruiting well.”

“I’m proud of him. he’s a NIU alum, he bleeds it just like the rest of these people (in the room at Media Day) bleed for NIU. Although he went to Western Michigan, it was a chance to be a head coach. I’m happy for him.”

Fleck’s jersey, from his very brief days with the San Francisco 49ers, still hangs on the wall at Fatty’s in DeKalb. This establishment is not just the premier pre and post game destination for Huskies fans. It also hosts the weekly NIU coaches’ radio show during the season.

“Everywhere you go at Northern Illinois, you’re going to have P.J. Fleck’s name,” said Spencer Tears, in an exclusive interview with The Sports Bank today.

“We know who P.J. Fleck is all around campus. As a wideout you want to know the history of all the old receivers who came through Northern Illinois, and from what I know P.J. Fleck was an outstanding wide receiver, great player, obviously he’s a great coach now.

https://www.thesportsbank.net/colle...-massive-impact-on-niu-huskies-program-today/

Go Gophers!!

Appears Fleck gets more respect elsewhere rather than from some of our own on this board.

while P.J. Fleck begins his second year at Minnesota

On a side note, was it a step up or a step down for Rod Carey moving to Temple? Didn't know he was even gone from NIU. Really thought he should have jumped on something after his first couple of seasons at NIU. (Dude just cannot win a bowl game.)

Appears Fleck gets more respect elsewhere rather than from some of our own on this board.

Get back to me when the NIU campus Subway hangs an oar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom