Wisconsin and Bama Schedule Home and Home - 2024 at Wisconsin, 2025 at Alabama

TCU isn’t Bama, but we played them twice, and they were ranked #2 for the 2015 game. No, I don’t view losing that game by 6 points a GSU style moral victory. The NC opponents we have now were probably chosen by Kill and/or Claeys. I recall Kill wasn’t too happy about playing TCU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would make us look good after we beat them...

So, root for a B1G rival vs. an SEC school?

No brainer. I'm rooting for the B1G school every time.

When Ohio State beat Alabama and Oregon in the playoff to win the National Championship, I was pulling hard for the Buckeyes. Never in question.

I see why Alabama would schedule this but 4 years when Wisconsin is in year 1 or 2 of a new coach after the fall of their program why would Wisconsin even think about this. They are going to be middle of the road big ten team by then

How many years have Gophers fans been saying this for?

My prediction is that Saban won't be there by the time these games happen. Will Bama be amazing or just good then?

While I hate to see Wisconsin have nice things, the relentless Big Ten West hate makes me root for our brethren in all their big non-con games. I was thrilled to watch the division wipe up on foes during bowl season last year. Except Purdue, of course.

TCU isn’t Bama, but we played them twice, and they were ranked #2 for the 2015 game. No, I don’t view losing that game by 6 points a GSU style moral victory. The NC opponents we have now were probably chosen by Kill and/or Claeys. I recall Kill wasn’t too happy about playing TCU.

The original "NC" opponent was chosen by Tim Brewster -- North Carolina. Kill canceled that game (paying $250K) which the Gophers "weren't ready for" to schedule TCU because Gary Patterson is his buddy. Then watched as TCU was a juggernaut and North Carolina was an ACC bottom feeder those years.

Personally wouldn't mind playing GT in a few years...

New coach for them now of course...different personna for them then in the future...but gives the Gophers the chance to be 2-0 after the rematch...

Not Bama scale scheduling but still would be interesting as a NC opponent...

The original "NC" opponent was chosen by Tim Brewster -- North Carolina. Kill canceled that game (paying $250K) which the Gophers "weren't ready for" to schedule TCU because Gary Patterson is his buddy. Then watched as TCU was a juggernaut and North Carolina was an ACC bottom feeder those years.

Very little of this is accurate. Kill pushed to cancel the UNC series, that's true. Teague scheduled TCU a little more than a year out because we both had open dates, they were a Power 5 team who would give us a 1:1 home-and-home, and it would give us increased recruiting exposure in Texas. Kill and Patterson being buddies had nothing to do with it, and Kill begrudgingly went along when Teague scheduled it. We would've played UNC in 2013 and 2014 (not 2014 and 2015 as we did TCU), and UNC was not a "bottom feeder" those years. They were right in the middle of the pack, finishing 4-4 in the conference both years, going to two bowl games and winning one of them.

I also seem to recall the money virtually evened out with the switch to TCU, but folks like to harp on the cost to cancel UNC rather than the NET for some reason.

I think this means I have to be a Wisconsin fan for two games. The sports team I hate the most are #1 Green Bay Packers and #2 Alabama Crimson Tide.

I think this means I have to be a Wisconsin fan for two games. The sports team I hate the most are #1 Green Bay Packers and #2 Alabama Crimson Tide.
Funny, the two teams I hate the most are #1 Badgers, #2 Packers. No way I will cheer for Becky.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Cheering for Wisconsin to defeat Alabama will never happen in my household. Not only for reasons of dislike but why we’d want them to have that feather in their cap I don’t know. It’s likely but not 100% both programs will be down from their prio highs by then anyway.

Last edited:

The Badgers also have Notre Dame the next 2 years at Lambeau and then Soldiers Field. Who do you hate more in that one?

Cheering for Wisconsin to defeat Michigan will never happen in my household. Not only for reasons of dislike but why we’d want them to have that feather in their cap I don’t know. It’s likely but not 100% both programs will be down from their prio highs by then anyway.

With a name like Pompous Elitist I would bet heavily on you being a Michigan fan. :)

Pfft...Minnesota beat Alabama the last time they played. Big whoop...

Cheering for Wisconsin to defeat Alabama will never happen in my household. Not only for reasons of dislike but why we’d want them to have that feather in their cap I don’t know. It’s likely but not 100% both programs will be down from their prio highs by then anyway.

I get why you would want Wisconsin to be down, but Alabama? I really am curious why you would think that. Wisconsin has had their 2 best recruiting years back to back and if anything. I think they will be on the rise. Wisconsin being better does not preclude Minnesota from improving too. As a football fan I would think you would enjoy watching two good programs gong head to head during the season when teams normally avoid playing anyone noncon with a pulse.

We debate the merits of 2019 Fresno and SDSU while Wisconsin schedules Alabama.

Wisconsin plays South Florida, Kent St and Central Michigan in 2019. Not much different than the Gophers opponents. The Gophers have scheduled Mississippi St in the future already. While they're not at the Alabama level, it's still a pretty good opponent.

Just another example of: the things that make fans excited are not necessarily the things that are best for the program.

Actually, I believe it was $850,000.

I get why you would want Wisconsin to be down, but Alabama? I really am curious why you would think that. Wisconsin has had their 2 best recruiting years back to back and if anything. I think they will be on the rise. Wisconsin being better does not preclude Minnesota from improving too. As a football fan I would think you would enjoy watching two good programs gong head to head during the season when teams normally avoid playing anyone noncon with a pulse.

Minnesota dominated Wisconsin for a long time, then the script flipped. I’m completely fine with Wisconsin becoming mediocre. Nebraska, Purdue, MN, Iowa capable of carrying the water.

Personally wouldn't mind playing GT in a few years...

New coach for them now of course...different personna for them then in the future...but gives the Gophers the chance to be 2-0 after the rematch...

Not Bama scale scheduling but still would be interesting as a NC opponent...

I've watched some coaches come to GSU and try to turn an Option Offense into a passing offense. They would have had to have been at GSU at least 6 years to recruit those types of players if the fans, alumni & AD would have excepted the losses for the years it would take. Who knows, I don't know the type of offense GT will switch to but if the Gophers can get a match up with GT in the next 3 years I think the Gophers would have a good chance for a win. I think that it will easier for GT to develop a good defense faster than an offense.

Top Bottom