BarnBurner's list of young coaches who could achieve faster than legends.

RP has equaled the highest finish in the B1G since Jim Dutcher patrolled the sidelines. He has reached the NCAAs twice and made it to the second round beating a higher seed. He has also endured seasons hit with injuries and suspensions which derailed opportunities to make the top 25 and achieve possible tourney runs. He has bolstered the recruiting at the U and yes, he has recruited some real duds when he had to scramble after being hired in the wake of Tubby's lazy recruiting.

I think he is doing fine with what he was thrown at and seems to be on the upswing. He just needs to land a couple of these local blue chips and move us up into the top half of the B1G to make us sustainable. This year he added necessary depth which we were lacking last year. Now he needs to keep adding talent to fill unexpected departures.

Great. I am on board. Do it and win and i am a believer. I always make sure i am not wearing homer glasses so i can measure by results.

Check out the early success records of great coaches, many very young at the time if not in calender, in years on the job. I have said my place and stated it is my grade and my opinion. I did not call any opinion as pathetic, it is theirs and they are entitled to it. Did not move the goal posts or the cheese. If your in the top 4 in the conference year after year you will eventually win the conference. Great coaches have won their conference or made a final four by year 6. I fully support Pitino doing well here but have the opinion that he has not done anything to suggest he is a great coach. Hope going forward that he proves it. If people think that winning the NIT was tremendous they are entitled to think so, i do not. When he got his own players it was more than pathetic and the off the court stuff beyond shameful. I hold a high standard for all things and those are mine. I never said the standard i have is better then anyone else's standard. Each fan can decide for themselves.

Even as a pretty big Pitino supporter, it is pretty hard for me to argue the point in bold.

--- He has had three decent to pretty good years. His first year was a pleasant surprise. In year four he finished very strong in conference and made the tournament. In year six, we made the tournament again and actually won a game against a good opponent.

--- He has had two awful years. In year three, he had a very weak junior/senior class due to his predecessor leaving the cupboard bare and and his own recruitment issues early on. Then year five completely came off the rails due to injury/suspension. However, I don't rank those as the worst seasons of Gopher basketball due to circumstance.

--- Year two may have been the most disappointing for me as he had a team with quite a bit of experience and really underachieved relative to their own success of the previous year. But he was still a very young coach.

Builtbadgers gets too much criticism on this site. His standards are likely largely influenced by the success of two of the other programs he follows closely -- Wisconsin and Virginia. While I might have a lower set of expectations than he does, at least he is consistent and rarely throws out knee jerk "fire Pitino" chants after a bad four minutes of basketball as others do on this site.

Not the press conference performance . Most win that. The buzz around a big name fills the room but the right hire wins the games. The best guys lay out from day one exactly how they will build a winner in the case of having to build no matter how many people are there. Again, getting it right is very difficult and each fan has their own opinion. I for one think the Kill hire was smart because he would build a culture of stability that the program needed. His bottom line was mediocre but there was a better foundation when he left and that counts for something. Just my opinion. No accusations about pathetic, narrow minded or backhanded from me to those with a different opinion. In my opinion i am not seeing a top 5 coach in the Big 10 and that is as low as i go as i believe in a higher standard of excellence. I think beating Purdue twice was tremendous and said the prep plan and scouting were tremendous. That does not make him a better coach then Painter in my eyes. I think he has a far better staff than before, my opinion. But 6 years is a significant sample size for overall record because in that frame, every team has had injuries, suspensions. I just feel a tremendous lack of building a identity that becomes what you are known for. 6 years in what is this program known for ? Defense, offense, shooting, fundamentals, efficiency, toughness. To me i do not think of this program known for any of those. He does deserve credit for last years team never quitting and that was the best i have seen for mental toughness in this program but we are not known for 24-7-365. To me, that starts with one man.
I agree with alot of what you say and as much as like Pitino, we need something to happen in the next two years that can be considered a major accomplishment for him to be here long term. My original question was if Buzz Williams wanted to come here like you said, that would have been a great hire. What's the story there?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Great. I am on board. Do it and win and i am a believer. I always make sure i am not wearing homer glasses so i can measure by results.

Builtbadgers-

I like your posts and believe you are more knowledgeable than perhaps any other poster here. You always sum it up like that....Win and I'll get on the bandwagon. Here's my complaint with you: You have shared your credentials and they are very good..and I believe it. You say you are a Gopher fan and I believe it. But you spend a lot of your time here on subtle slams of the coach in a backhanded sort of way. You talk about how the coach is not getting it done on the Bennett/Ryan level (crazy rare in college basketball) and you create minimum expectations that does not fit the roster he has. I think it would have been much more fair to do this had you come on here as some anonymous bloke but sharing your history and expertise gives your opinion clout with onlookers and in my opinion is damaging to the program. If you are who you say you are, call up the AD and tell him what you think and in fact, ask him what he is thinking on Pitino. Settle it directly. If I was the AD I would want to hear from you. Have you ever done that or called coach P himself? That's the right way to do it.

So here's the deal, if you are a true Gopher fan with the background you have, do as I suggested. Then change your moniker to make it seem like you are proud to be a Gopher fan. Then set realistic expectations followed by progressively higher expectations over time for a coach who is young, operating in one of the two toughest conferences in America at a school that just has not had much basketball success for the past 40 years. Take a look at the roster, because that's what we have and be reasonable. If you want to project that he should finish in the top 4 over the next few years from this starting point (forget the year 6 stuff- we are where we are), I think that's reasonable. Help BUILD the GOPHER program! Be positive or help make change happen behind the scenes. I think Pitino can get it done here. He needs more talent and the right mix and he needs support. The local talent is good enough NOW to be the base for a really, really good program in the years to come. He just needs a break. He is a good enough coach. As I have said- I don't think coach K would have done much more than Pitino did last year with that group. Thanks for listening.

Builtbadgers-

I like your posts and believe you are more knowledgeable than perhaps any other poster here. You always sum it up like that....Win and I'll get on the bandwagon. Here's my complaint with you: You have shared your credentials and they are very good..and I believe it. You say you are a Gopher fan and I believe it. But you spend a lot of your time here on subtle slams of the coach in a backhanded sort of way. You talk about how the coach is not getting it done on the Bennett/Ryan level (crazy rare in college basketball) and you create minimum expectations that does not fit the roster he has. I think it would have been much more fair to do this had you come on here as some anonymous bloke but sharing your history and expertise gives your opinion clout with onlookers and in my opinion is damaging to the program. If you are who you say you are, call up the AD and tell him what you think and in fact, ask him what he is thinking on Pitino. Settle it directly. If I was the AD I would want to hear from you. Have you ever done that or called coach P himself? That's the right way to do it.

So here's the deal, if you are a true Gopher fan with the background you have, do as I suggested. Then change your moniker to make it seem like you are proud to be a Gopher fan. Then set realistic expectations followed by progressively higher expectations over time for a coach who is young, operating in one of the two toughest conferences in America at a school that just has not had much basketball success for the past 40 years. Take a look at the roster, because that's what we have and be reasonable. If you want to project that he should finish in the top 4 over the next few years from this starting point (forget the year 6 stuff- we are where we are), I think that's reasonable. Help BUILD the GOPHER program! Be positive or help make change happen behind the scenes. I think Pitino can get it done here. He needs more talent and the right mix and he needs support. The local talent is good enough NOW to be the base for a really, really good program in the years to come. He just needs a break. He is a good enough coach. As I have said- I don't think coach K would have done much more than Pitino did last year with that group. Thanks for listening.

NAILED it.

This is starting to get a little uncomfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Builtbadgers-

Have talked to Coyle before he ever got here and after he got here. Never in the context of fire Pitino. He would upgrade if he could but it is going to play out. I was raised in the UCLA program, then involved in the UW and UVA program and our firm represented dozens of coaches so i have not only my own bias but my own standards. I am realistic enough to know that Pitino will not become Bo Ryan or Tony Bennett but i still expect a conference title every decade and at least in competition once in 6 years. People keep asking for a list of who are the great coaches that would come here and i have said repeatedly that i do not have one. I have asked posters how long would they wait for a coach to win something meaningful before they were done with it. I said i was not ready yet but my patience for what i have seen is wearing thin. Appreciate your open mind and clear thoughts. Can not change the name, it was given to me by a coach from a UW coach who i scouted for. I am a Gopher fan but i follow and support 4 programs . Think of it as owning 4 horses and your thrilled with the ones that win races and not so much with the one that does not. That does not make me any less of a fan, no one gets to determine that for someone else. I go to more Gopher games home and away than i do for other programs, cheer for the U unless playing my alma mater . I just do not knee jerk on anything, including when one coach beats another . Or calling for a coaches head when their team gets upset or loses 4 in a row. I just offer my opinion based on what i see.

Have talked to Coyle before he ever got here and after he got here. Never in the context of fire Pitino. He would upgrade if he could but it is going to play out. I was raised in the UCLA program, then involved in the UW and UVA program and our firm represented dozens of coaches so i have not only my own bias but my own standards. I am realistic enough to know that Pitino will not become Bo Ryan or Tony Bennett but i still expect a conference title every decade and at least in competition once in 6 years. People keep asking for a list of who are the great coaches that would come here and i have said repeatedly that i do not have one. I have asked posters how long would they wait for a coach to win something meaningful before they were done with it. I said i was not ready yet but my patience for what i have seen is wearing thin. Appreciate your open mind and clear thoughts. Can not change the name, it was given to me by a coach from a UW coach who i scouted for. I am a Gopher fan but i follow and support 4 programs . Think of it as owning 4 horses and your thrilled with the ones that win races and not so much with the one that does not. That does not make me any less of a fan, no one gets to determine that for someone else. I go to more Gopher games home and away than i do for other programs, cheer for the U unless playing my alma mater . I just do not knee jerk on anything, including when one coach beats another . Or calling for a coaches head when their team gets upset or loses 4 in a row. I just offer my opinion based on what i see.

Fair enough. You could be a great asset to any program. This one could use your solid backing while this coach gets better. I am fully convinced that he needs a couple of these locals to give him the nod and he is on his way. He's going to be a really good coach somewhere, I'd prefer it were here. If he fails in the next few years then I will get myself 100% behind the next guy. The only guy I gave up on here was Tubby in the last year or so who was a great coach in his day but showed no energy or upside. Pitino hasn't won here yet but he has not showed an ounce of quit.

Thanks for the response.

Good idea, but Pitino gets attacked in so many threads by the same handful of posters that it is hard not to respond. I have been guilty of many responses that go off topic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well keep up the good work. You are very brave.

Fair enough. You could be a great asset to any program. This one could use your solid backing while this coach gets better. I am fully convinced that he needs a couple of these locals to give him the nod and he is on his way. He's going to be a really good coach somewhere, I'd prefer it were here. If he fails in the next few years then I will get myself 100% behind the next guy. The only guy I gave up on here was Tubby in the last year or so who was a great coach in his day but showed no energy or upside. Pitino hasn't won here yet but he has not showed an ounce of quit.

Thanks for the response.
Appreciate your thoughtful post. I will continue to support the program, cheer on the teams, go to games and hope he gets it done. I am not hoping he fails. Just will not heap praise on what i have seen so far. All i can do here is offer my own take. My posts have zero influence on recruits. These kids are smart, they make up their mind on who the best coach is for them. Unless choosing the hometown school, most kids pick a coach that they think is the best they can get. They want to win championships and get to a professional league. Building a great program is incredibly difficult but it has been done and that is what your hired to do. When that fails, schools change coaches. Hope we do not have to start over again. Winning big solves all of that.

One idea that might really help our position in the B1G is to hire a professional troll to frequent competing schools top online forum. If we all chip in it might not cost that much to have a well paid part time saboteur roaming the Wisky and Iowa boards (and anyone else that makes sense)

This person could beat up the coach in every thread making it harder to recruit, sowing seeds of doubt with recruits and families, undermining morale with coaches, players, and fans, and generally taking any serious discussion in a negative direction after a few posts. They would pose as a fan but really would be damaging the team with every disingenuous post. A little luck and we might set their program back months-to-years.

Kind of like what builtbadgers and a couple of others try to do here on the hole... (BTW you guys have any time for a part-time job?)

One idea that might really help our position in the B1G is to hire a professional troll to frequent competing schools top online forum. If we all chip in it might not cost that much to have a well paid part time saboteur roaming the Wisky and Iowa boards (and anyone else that makes sense)

This person could beat up the coach in every thread making it harder to recruit, sowing seeds of doubt with recruits and families, undermining morale with coaches, players, and fans, and generally taking any serious discussion in a negative direction after a few posts. They would pose as a fan but really would be damaging the team with every disingenuous post. A little luck and we might set their program back months-to-years.

Kind of like what builtbadgers and a couple of others try to do here on the hole... (BTW you guys have any time for a part-time job?)

:clap:

This idea may have legs! I don’t want to mention names, however there is a GH poster who likes to apply the dismissive “Lil’ Ricky” moniker to our coach. He might be a Good candidate for the position.
Les, r u listening :confused:

Would be futile. Future players and parents pat zero attention to what is posted here. They have actual evidence of how coaches and programs are doing. It is a insult to their intelligence to think that this board has anything to do with what they think. All summer long they are talking among themselves on who they have offers from, can they can into such and such a school, can they win, what are the coaches like, how much playing time there is. When the families reach out to advance scouts, AAU coaches, high school coaches they share their opinions on what the best fit that they see. It is below even being funny to a player.Otherwise mods could make sure that only posts praising what a tremendous coach Pitino is, how wonderful every win has been and defeats are all bad luck, blown calls and injuries. Then the best players would always pick to come here.

Would be futile. Future players and parents pat zero attention to what is posted here. They have actual evidence of how coaches and programs are doing. It is a insult to their intelligence to think that this board has anything to do with what they think. All summer long they are talking among themselves on who they have offers from, can they can into such and such a school, can they win, what are the coaches like, how much playing time there is. When the families reach out to advance scouts, AAU coaches, high school coaches they share their opinions on what the best fit that they see. It is below even being funny to a player.Otherwise mods could make sure that only posts praising what a tremendous coach Pitino is, how wonderful every win has been and defeats are all bad luck, blown calls and injuries. Then the best players would always pick to come here.

On a serious note: Please understand that my comment was just satire and not meant to be taken literally.

[except the job part. I would kick in some dollars to watch you guys damage the Wisky forum and their recruiting. You guys would be awesome at it!]

On a serious note: Please understand that my comment was just satire and not meant to be taken literally.

[except the job part. I would kick in some dollars to watch you guys damage the Wisky forum and their recruiting. You guys would be awesome at it!]

There is nothing that posters can do to damage the recruiting at any school. The lack of success plays the largest role in recruiting. That is why it is so critical to build a foundation on character and a identity. From there, if your efficient you will win with upper classes . From there you will attract better players but that fit the culture you instill on day one. You need a keen eye and the most authentic sell. These jobs are really tough especially if you play it straight. Super rare to find those few special guys that actually build something sustainable. Posters will have no influence at all.

There is nothing that posters can do to damage the recruiting at any school. The lack of success plays the largest role in recruiting. That is why it is so critical to build a foundation on character and a identity. From there, if your efficient you will win with upper classes . From there you will attract better players but that fit the culture you instill on day one. You need a keen eye and the most authentic sell. These jobs are really tough especially if you play it straight. Super rare to find those few special guys that actually build something sustainable. Posters will have no influence at all.

You are badly mistaken about the Psychological Motivations of a decision maker and about the impact of your poison. Coaches can and do overcome all the issues above and lack of success - including Pitino. Decisions are made by 17 year olds and their parents based on their gut (which factors the whole experience both conscious and subconscious) not cold blooded calculation.

The players, friends and families do frequent this board. Your comments are assimilated into the opinions of the player, his friends, and his family members and ultimately into the gut feeling on the Minnesota offer and experience.

What do you do for a living? You have to be the worst sales guy ever...

You are badly mistaken about the Psychological Motivations of a decision maker and about the impact of your poison. Coaches can and do overcome all the issues above and lack of success - including Pitino. Decisions are made by 17 year olds and their parents based on their gut (which factors the whole experience both conscious and subconscious) not cold blooded calculation.

The players, friends and families do frequent this board. Your comments are assimilated into the opinions of the player, his friends, and his family members and ultimately into the gut feeling on the Minnesota offer and experience.

I agree with you that a board like this could help a player make a gut decision and negative comments by the hometown crowd don't help at all. I think it is wrong to think that these forums have zero impact.

I think builtbadgers is and has been very successful so I you are probably barking up the wrong tree saying that he is the worst sales guy ever.

Didn't we have a guy commit to us on gopher hole? Wound up at VCU which opened up a spot for Murphy, can't think of his name

Didn't we have a guy commit to us on gopher hole? Wound up at VCU which opened up a spot for Murphy, can't think of his name

Jonathon Nwankwo

Jonathan Nwankwo

He is the perfect example to illustrate my point - anyone silly, naive, and immature enough to put any weight whatsoever on the thoughts and opinions of anonymous message board posters is not someone we want anyway. He was supposed to play in the Big Ten and is finishing out his career at an NAIA school, where he averaged 8.9 mpg as a RS Jr.

Anyways I like Craig Smith at Utah State, not sure how old he is though

Lawyer full time until retiring at 54. Part time consultant and scout. All i ever sold was success . First in a family practice that was built on fairness and honesty. That , along with precise detail carried the day. Same with consulting. Sort through the excess fat or lies and delusion to stay laser focused on the formula for success. As a consultant or a scout i have never had a family that they made any kind of a gut decision based on a message board.. When consulted i have always asked them what they are looking for. It is nearly a consensus that they pick a coach, the better program, combination of academics and location. They are much more informed than you might think about who the best coaches are. They talk among themselves, their parents and coaches, existing players, past players. Actual records of wins, actual development examples, national coaching awards, games they have seen. Not a single example of a recruit saying they were turned off or on based on a loose screw on a message board. Otherwise all fans could jump into a complete positive scam of all things being great or in the case of sabotage , some fans being negative. This board represents to me, the chance to exchange different takes, ideas and opinions. I do not even present just negative. I have on dozens of occasions put forth my opinions of praise on Pitino when it seems to me that it is clear. Examples are great game plans on numerous opponents last year, upgrading the staff, having teams that did not quit. That does not stop me from from making observations of things that i think have been done poorly. Nor does it stop me from saying if given the chance to play at a better school,for a better coach a prospect should look seriously at all those options. I have been spoiled by what program i was raised in, what programs i worked for. I have been shaped by the hundreds of coaches clinics i have attended, the thousands of practices over 40 years. Those take a really close look at how people teach, how well they mold the players they get into a team and how far those players go, how well their teams do. If i thought for even a moment that i hurt this program posting i would stop immediately. It would go against the support i give to the program. You were right about my poor selling in one way, i never had to sell a manufactured product so my sales total does equal zero.

Anyways I like Craig Smith at Utah State, not sure how old he is though

About 48. Very bright. Knows how to implement the things he thinks will work with the roster he has. Strong teacher. Wins .

Fire up a kickstarter, I'll chip in.

... and, when I was at Florida, the Gators hired a PI to investigate recruiting violations of other schools. This was literally part of the Gator's football budget. Do a Google search on "Free Shoes University" and you'll see some of the details.

Lawyer full time until retiring at 54. Part time consultant and scout. All i ever sold was success . First in a family practice that was built on fairness and honesty. That , along with precise detail carried the day. Same with consulting. Sort through the excess fat or lies and delusion to stay laser focused on the formula for success. As a consultant or a scout i have never had a family that they made any kind of a gut decision based on a message board.. When consulted i have always asked them what they are looking for. It is nearly a consensus that they pick a coach, the better program, combination of academics and location. They are much more informed than you might think about who the best coaches are. They talk among themselves, their parents and coaches, existing players, past players. Actual records of wins, actual development examples, national coaching awards, games they have seen. Not a single example of a recruit saying they were turned off or on based on a loose screw on a message board. Otherwise all fans could jump into a complete positive scam of all things being great or in the case of sabotage , some fans being negative. This board represents to me, the chance to exchange different takes, ideas and opinions. I do not even present just negative. I have on dozens of occasions put forth my opinions of praise on Pitino when it seems to me that it is clear. Examples are great game plans on numerous opponents last year, upgrading the staff, having teams that did not quit. That does not stop me from from making observations of things that i think have been done poorly. Nor does it stop me from saying if given the chance to play at a better school,for a better coach a prospect should look seriously at all those options. I have been spoiled by what program i was raised in, what programs i worked for. I have been shaped by the hundreds of coaches clinics i have attended, the thousands of practices over 40 years. Those take a really close look at how people teach, how well they mold the players they get into a team and how far those players go, how well their teams do. If i thought for even a moment that i hurt this program posting i would stop immediately. It would go against the support i give to the program. You were right about my poor selling in one way, i never had to sell a manufactured product so my sales total does equal zero.

Well... not going spend time on a D!(& measuring contest. My background is on the marketing/advertising industry with similar age and success. It is clear from your statement above that you do not quite understand the buying process, psychology, or the mechanics of a life changing decision like these kids are making. People make decisions in ways they mostly do not understand (even if they fancy themselves with cold blooded logic flowing in their veins). Safety, security, fear, approval, greed, pride, escape, defiance, pleasure, fear of missing out, among others are motivators to these kids NOT great coaches, playing time, opportunity, respected programs, and academics (they want all those things but the decision is made on a deeper level)

This is a public forum for Gopher fans. There is a time and a place for everything - including calling for a coaches job. When I see some people on the hole constantly turning every thread into Pitino bashing or injecting fear a normally positive post I am going to call "sabotage" every time. At best these people are bumbling idiots damaging their own team, at worst, they are agents provocateurs.

Fire up a kickstarter, I'll chip in.

It is an interesting idea. Would it work? If it were properly executed, heck yes it would work!!!

Still, I threw it out to make a point more as anything and this level of chicanery is not my thing... Begs the question - Why do some people here do it to their own program? So disappointing, so Minnesota.

Last edited:

Top Bottom