Radio network changing its format for Gopher Football

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Hey. Just a heads-up for people who listen to games on the radio.

This Fall, the Gopher radio network has announced a new format.

The pre-game show will be 2 hours long! The Post-game show will be reduced to 30 minutes, so the total broadcast will be 30 minutes longer.

Oh - and the host of the new, expanded pre-game show will be Justin Gaard. Otherwise, the broadcast crew will be the same.

From a press release on the format change, regarding the pre-game show:

The show will include more time for big-name guests, including longer interviews with head coach PJ Fleck and athletic director Mark Coyle, more player profile and human interest features, an expanded Big Ten preview/scoreboard segment, and a weekly look back at the first ten years of TCF Bank Stadium.

From my point of view as a guy who works in radio - if they have any 11:00am kickoffs, that means the pre-game show will start at 9:00am. A lot of smaller stations run their local Coaches shows Saturday morning, recapping Friday night's football games and interviewing local coaches and players. So, this is a potential problem for those stations.

anyway, got the notification from the network, and thought someone may be interested.

Gaard is good as a sidekick...not so much when he's the host of a radio show. Becomes pretty un-listenable when he fills on B2B. This is a pretty structured show so that will help. Didn't he do pregame interviews for the show?

Gaard is good as a sidekick...not so much when he's the host of a radio show. Becomes pretty un-listenable when he fills on B2B. This is a pretty structured show so that will help. Didn't he do pregame interviews for the show?

Did you know he played tennis at Edina? :)

Gaard is good as a sidekick...not so much when he's the host of a radio show. Becomes pretty un-listenable when he fills on B2B. This is a pretty structured show so that will help. Didn't he do pregame interviews for the show?[/QUOTE

I happen to be someone who turns off the sound on the tv and listen to Mike Grimm. I wonder how much longer Gopher Learfield can pay him what he could earn on the national scene.

I'm a little bummed about the change to the post-game show. The timing after home games has always been great for me - I'd pull into my driveway within a couple of minutes either way of the end of the broadcast. Oh, well, could be worse, I guess.

I'm a little bummed about the change to the post-game show. The timing after home games has always been great for me - I'd pull into my driveway within a couple of minutes either way of the end of the broadcast. Oh, well, could be worse, I guess.

This is very true for out of towners. Nice to hear the recap on the way home.

This is ass-backwards. The postgame show is vastly superior to the pregame - largely because there's something substantive to discuss.

This is ass-backwards. The postgame show is vastly superior to the pregame - largely because there's something substantive to discuss.

+100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Justin Gaard.

A 30 min post game show though....with commercials is that like... 30 seconds of content? Not sure I like that.

I want to hear all the coaches and players talk and analysis AFTER the game on my way home.

My educated guess is that the change is for two reasons:

1) They can add more time at the beginning, because KFAN's ratings are probably lower on Saturday mornings, which lends to their ability to sell a longer pre-game show as a positive, and

2) their ratings for other things are probably greater as the day goes on through a Saturday, so dumping out of the Gopher post-game and getting to...say...Vikings talk for Sunday, or other college football shows (which they receive through a network they already pay for rights to) or games more quickly, makes more sense.

As much as a three-hour post-game show would be great, it doesn't make sense to a station that has bigger fish to fry. That's the double-edged sword of having a station like KFAN as your flagship.

I happen to be someone who turns off the sound on the tv and listen to Mike Grimm. I wonder how much longer Gopher Learfield can pay him what he could earn on the national scene.
Grimm is a nice hometown play by play guy but he complains about the reffing WAY too much (both in football and bball)

+100

+1000

If it is only 30 mins, I run the risk of not hearing game recaps as I wait in Dinkytown traffic. Not cool.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

The problem with the hour-long post game show, for me, was that they would have a couple of long segments with former Gophers discussing the game, which was OK, but I would rather have more scores and updates on other games, etc. If you cut out the chat segments, the post-game show only had about a half-hour of content - stats, game recap, interviews, etc.

With the new pre-game show format, I suspect this is going to be for die-hards only. I could see an extended preview of other B1G games - break down matchups, etc. But does anyone really want a longer interview with Coyle? Or a look back at the first 10 years of TCF? I would rather hear more historical stuff - look back at key moments in Gopher history - do interviews with former players, etc. Because of my job, there will be times I will have to listen to the pre-game show, but in all honesty, I'm more likely to turn on the radio (or TV) just in time for kickoff.

Yes, I'll miss the post-game on the drive home (although, as mentioned above, it's probably a small audience for a Saturday afternoon). I do think that the last couple of seasons the post-game lost a little focus. I suppose it's still possible KFAN would do a Gopher whine line after the 30 minute Gopher post game.

While a longer post game is good, I love the 2 hour pregame show. And no, that isn’t too long. Georgia’s Tailgate Show is 4 hours long and they make it entertaining and interesting. Gophers can do much with 2 hours.

Can’t wait for football!!!

Sadly it seems logical that sports media would move away ... or just run form discussing things that might accidentally demonstrate that they don't know what they're talking about. In favor of less relevant... but way easy to make up predictions and drama.

Granted that's not so much about the local radio shows to date as it is sports media altogether.

Completely depends on what happens after the postgame show on the radio.

There are Division II football teams that get an hour-long pregame show, so I wouldn't think two hours would be that hard for a Big Ten school to fill.

I want longer post game shows when we win and for all I care no post game show when we lose because I usually can't bear to hear the re-cap. Although I do understand this could problematic for scheduling purposes.:rolleyes:

I'm guessing if the Gophers are good, we'll see more Gopher talk after the games than what they are commiting to so far.

The Gopher football pregame show has always been two hours on KFAN, so there probably isn't much change locally (other than Gaard now hosts instead of Fallness). Looks like the other stations in the state now will get the full two hours, too.

KFAN could definitely be setting up to do a longer Gopher postgame show with callers and scores and highlights. That's exactly what they do for the Vikings. PA and the gang sign off after about 30 minutes and the local Vikings Fan Line kicks in. I could see them setting this up to mimic that. I bet when its all said and done, there will be a LONGER postgame show on KFAN.

Last edited:

The problem with the hour-long post game show, for me, was that they would have a couple of long segments with former Gophers discussing the game, which was OK, but I would rather have more scores and updates on other games, etc. If you cut out the chat segments, the post-game show only had about a half-hour of content - stats, game recap, interviews, etc.

With the new pre-game show format, I suspect this is going to be for die-hards only. I could see an extended preview of other B1G games - break down matchups, etc. But does anyone really want a longer interview with Coyle? Or a look back at the first 10 years of TCF? I would rather hear more historical stuff - look back at key moments in Gopher history - do interviews with former players, etc. Because of my job, there will be times I will have to listen to the pre-game show, but in all honesty, I'm more likely to turn on the radio (or TV) just in time for kickoff.

They've been doing a two-hour pregame all along. There's plenty of good content, not just for die-hards. They almost always have a former player on, they almost always have some throwback piece to a great moment in Gopher history. They usually have a coach or player from another sport on. Be happy, the two-hour format is finally getting out to the sticks where you live LOL

I'm thinking that KFAN will still have a long local postgame, followed by fanline.

Truthfully not a whole lot has changed, as others have noted. We’ve always had 2 hours of pregame show, now all of it is available to the network rather than just locally in the Twin Cities. Quicker postgame will allow KFAN to get to a Fan Line afterward when the schedule allows. There will be a few Wild games immediately following Gophers but plenty of good opportunities for longer Fan Lines with an analyst. Should be fun!

Hey. Just a heads-up for people who listen to games on the radio.

This Fall, the Gopher radio network has announced a new format.

The pre-game show will be 2 hours long! The Post-game show will be reduced to 30 minutes, so the total broadcast will be 30 minutes longer.

Oh - and the host of the new, expanded pre-game show will be Justin Gaard. Otherwise, the broadcast crew will be the same.

From a press release on the format change, regarding the pre-game show:

The show will include more time for big-name guests, including longer interviews with head coach PJ Fleck and athletic director Mark Coyle, more player profile and human interest features, an expanded Big Ten preview/scoreboard segment, and a weekly look back at the first ten years of TCF Bank Stadium.

From my point of view as a guy who works in radio - if they have any 11:00am kickoffs, that means the pre-game show will start at 9:00am. A lot of smaller stations run their local Coaches shows Saturday morning, recapping Friday night's football games and interviewing local coaches and players. So, this is a potential problem for those stations.

anyway, got the notification from the network, and thought someone may be interested.

Do they plan on keeping Corbu Stathes? I find him to be very minor league. As for Grimm, too many mistakes in both football and basketball.
Daryl just repeats what Grimm says to him. I miss Mona.

Do they plan on keeping Corbu Stathes? I find him to be very minor league. As for Grimm, too many mistakes in both football and basketball.

I miss hearing any of those people talk and not constant commercials.

Some of the few times i turn the radio on and man it's not a good time to hear actual content.

I miss the late Ray Christensen as much as anyone too, but compared to the person calling the games in between Ray & Grimm, Grimm is phenomenal....

Top Bottom